Re: The I'm still backing Flynny thread

countymadbel wrote:Sorry but for me his summer signings have been very poor, he's too one dimensional long ball. And think it's coming close to the time when we need to make a decision as we really on free fall. So for me HE needs to go with a MASSIVE thanks for all he's done for us.
+1

I've been very disappointed by the football and results this season but I'd be inclined to stick with Flynny until next season. I think he has earned a bit of patience with what he achieved last year.

I'd give him the summer to reshape the squad and hope that the recruitment is better than the last two windows. I really hope he uses the rest of the season to decide who to keep and I pray that he mixes up the tactics a bit.

+1 from me too. Albeit not unconditionally.

His account is still in credit, but last summer’s transfer window was pretty poor and we’ve spent the season having to make-do and mend as a result. The fact that we’ll finish mid-table and with a few more cup runs, despite having one of the lowest budgets in the league, is still more than creditable. But there needs to be a much better transfer strategy ready for next summer, ideally combined with a strategy to develop our younger players so they can break into the first-team squad rather than being shoved out on loan and then forgotten about.

We also need to rediscover how to play decent football. Flynn has made the most of what he’s got and chosen a style to suit them, and he’s not helped by the playing surface at Rodney Parade. But our predictable direct style isn’t much fun to watch, and I’m sure it has had a negative impact on gate receipts. In 2018/19, we started off playing some much more attractive football, we could vary the play and we could build patiently from the back. Let’s make a conscious effort to get back to that. I may get season tickets for me and my two boys next year, but the biggest decisive factor in that will be my confidence in being entertained. I’m sure I’m not the only one!

I don’t expect us to win every week, and I don’t expect promotion. But I’d like us to be reasonable to watch, to bring through a few more local lads who’ve made their way through the ranks, and to get a few more ruddy goals!

So with those caveats, I’d still back Flynn - but it’s not unreasonable for the Board to clarify their expectations along those sorts of lines.

sblair1979 wrote:I've been very disappointed by the football and results this season but I'd be inclined to stick with Flynny until next season. I think he has earned a bit of patience with what he achieved last year.

I'd give him the summer to reshape the squad and hope that the recruitment is better than the last two windows. I really hope he uses the rest of the season to decide who to keep and I pray that he mixes up the tactics a bit.

Rewind to June/July/ August 2019...Manager M Flynn had a bigger budget to work with , took the players on a warm weather training camp ( because we would see the benefits of it throughout the season in regards of fitness ).
He signed , how many players ? Who out of them signings (.a ) improved the side. ( b) is still here..
And you say give him time to do the same again because he has failed to recruit well in the last two transfer windows....
Why ??????

He had a shocking summer window I agree but without knowing all the facts it's hard to explain why.

He did bring in Podge, Matt, Dolan, Sheehan, Wilmott, Pipey, Franks, Howkins, Haynes & King who have all done a decent job and become key players. Abrahams looks like he has potential

If I trusted Foxhall to go out and get an exciting manager who would play the kids and play nice football I'd want Flynn gone asap but lets be honest we would likely end up with someone worse.

sblair1979 wrote:He had a shocking summer window I agree but without knowing all the facts it's hard to explain why.

He did bring in Podge, Matt, Dolan, Sheehan, Wilmott, Pipey, Franks, Howkins, Haynes & King who have all done a decent job and become key players. Abrahams looks like he has potential

If I trusted Foxhall to go out and get an exciting manager who would play the kids and play nice football I'd want Flynn gone asap but lets be honest we would likely end up with someone worse.
That was last year..
Podge , no where near the player he was last year but got a new two year deal
Matt ,Dolan and Willmott as above without getting a contract ...yet
Howkins is a good prospect
Haynes and King started well...been poor since turn of year.....why ?
Pipe was already at the club

Foxhall , I believe probably thought we were down when he brought in his 'mate' Flynn as a cheap option probably thinking he could be replaced cheaply if we went down.
Credit to Flynn. He did well saved us and did well for the next season and last ...That's the point DID well.
This season since the summer the writing has been on the wall.Poor signings , poor performances , poor results and IMO its getting worse.I don't believe he has the knowse or tactical knowledge to turn things around given what he says , the recent performances and his arrogance in thinking he has 12 more games at least to save his job
I suppose when your mate is in charge it gives you confidence that you are unsackable

neilcork68 wrote:
sblair1979 wrote:He had a shocking summer window I agree but without knowing all the facts it's hard to explain why.

That was last year..
Podge , no where near the player he was last year but got a new two year deal
Matt ,Dolan and Willmott as above without getting a contract ...yet
Howkins is a good prospect
Haynes and King started well...been poor since turn of year.....why ?
Pipe was already at the club

Foxhall , I believe probably thought we were down when he brought in his 'mate' Flynn as a cheap option probably thinking he could be replaced cheaply if we went down.
Credit to Flynn. He did well saved us and did well for the next season and last ...That's the point DID well.
This season since the summer the writing has been on the wall.Poor signings , poor performances , poor results and IMO its getting worse.I don't believe he has the knowse or tactical knowledge to turn things around given what he says , the recent performances and his arrogance in thinking he has 12 more games at least to save his job
I suppose when your mate is in charge it gives you confidence that you are unsackable
I think had Flynn been hired in the summer he would be long gone but you can't ignore his achievements prior to that. He has had more good seasons than bad so overall he has done well. I think now is the time for him to prove he can learn from his mistakes. If he doesnt and we continue to play this badly then he has to go. I'm not Flynn's biggest fan but it seems like he is capable of keeping us in the divison which to be honest is his primary objective each year.

Do you trust Foxhall to choose a good replacement?

We'd been riding a wave for a long time and it's come crashing down this season. I've said before, we overachieved massively last season. We had an incredible run and ended up in the play-offs thanks to a goal from a player who had the season of his life. Mansfield probably should have knocked us out there, but we got through and were unlucky to lose to Tranmere. Had we won, I've no doubt we'd be where they are now and heading back down.

For me, he's achieved enough for me to think there's something in him to turn this around. The season is a write off now, we're not going up or down. There needs to be progress in terms of the style of football we're playing over the next 12 games and if I were Flynny, I'd be telling the players they're playing for their futures. Not bothered by anyone who has a 2 year-deal, none of them are on enough to be willing to miss a season of regular football and someone will take them off our hands.

If I was GF, I'd be telling Flynn he starts next season. There's no 2-year deals and the style of play needs to be significantly better. If we find ourselves sitting in a similar position or worse come October/November, we say thanks for the memories, but we need someone new in. Then at least they have 2/3 of the season and a transfer window to turn it around.