Re: Taff and the Trustatorship

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Not on Facebook so have not read all that has been written.

I fail to see how or why the WRU/Dragons could possibly care about what was said about the Oldham game. The game after all was played at Oldham.

It is further not clear whose feeling are said to be hurt. Is it officials at the Dragons, officials at Newport County, the ground staff?

Further what is the criticism which has been made? I take UTP's point but the removal of a volunteer for criticism is somewhat different from removal for abuse.

The accusation as I understand it is, at least in part, that Newport County have dispensed with a volunteer because of pressure put upon the club by WRU/Dragons. If this is true then it is shameful. However it can be cleared up. As the volunteer in question has chosen to go public as for the reasons for his dismissal, Newport County can not be said to have any duty of confidentiality towards that volunteer. The club should release a statement as to the reasons for this action.
Morning Brendan.
Most large (ish) organisations these days have a ‘Social media’ policy. This policy will state what you can and can’t say about the organisation on social media. We need an employment law expert to verify, but I would suggest that this policy applies to volunteers as well.
Hi Mike,

A volunteer is not receiving renumeration for his or her work. As such there is no contract. As such you can dispense with the services of a volunteer anytime you wish.

The issue here is two fold. Firstly if the volunteer is dispensed with simply because he has upset a person or persons unknown as the said volunteer has made the fact known, we as owners of the club should be in a position to make judgement as to whether the action by the club was reasonable. The only sanction on the club being the court of supporters opinion.

Second point. And potentially far more serious. An allegation has been made, and it is only an allegation, that Newport County AFC are doing what they are told by WRU/Dragons. If true then the club will have disgraced itself. To be clear, I don't know what the truth is, but if such an accusation were made about me I would feel it incumbent upon myself to answer it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Not on Facebook so have not read all that has been written.

I fail to see how or why the WRU/Dragons could possibly care about what was said about the Oldham game. The game after all was played at Oldham.

It is further not clear whose feeling are said to be hurt. Is it officials at the Dragons, officials at Newport County, the ground staff?

Further what is the criticism which has been made? I take UTP's point but the removal of a volunteer for criticism is somewhat different from removal for abuse.

The accusation as I understand it is, at least in part, that Newport County have dispensed with a volunteer because of pressure put upon the club by WRU/Dragons. If this is true then it is shameful. However it can be cleared up. As the volunteer in question has chosen to go public as for the reasons for his dismissal, Newport County can not be said to have any duty of confidentiality towards that volunteer. The club should release a statement as to the reasons for this action.
Morning Brendan.
Most large (ish) organisations these days have a ‘Social media’ policy. This policy will state what you can and can’t say about the organisation on social media. We need an employment law expert to verify, but I would suggest that this policy applies to volunteers as well.
Hi Mike,

A volunteer is not receiving renumeration for his or her work. As such there is no contract. As such you can dispense with the services of a volunteer anytime you wish.

The issue here is two fold. Firstly if the volunteer is dispensed with simply because he has upset a person or persons unknown as the said volunteer has made the fact known, we as owners of the club should be in a position to make judgement as to whether the action by the club was reasonable. The only sanction on the club being the court of supporters opinion.

Second point. And potentially far more serious. An allegation has been made, and it is only an allegation, that Newport County AFC are doing what they are told by WRU/Dragons. If true then the club will have disgraced itself. To be clear, I don't know what the truth is, but if such an accusation were made about me I would feel it incumbent upon myself to answer it.

All sounds a bit petty and precious, but such is the danger of social media and the entitlement of the offended to take offence....not the offender to claim no offence was intended.

If someone has claimed they are offended then the club gets pushed into a corner. If the relationship with the offended party is deemed to be more important then its only going to end one way.

Id still like to know what was said to cause offence, how often and who pulled the trigger - difficult to say if they've done anything wrong otherwise.

Your point about the owners of the club deciding is irrelevant as they already have, via their elected Trust Board members.

rdh2210 wrote:
worksop amber wrote:
MrPessimist wrote:The plot thickens. Taff says he was asked to stand down due the the board getting pressure from the Dragons as he has been critical of them of late.

lol our board are so cowardly
In your first post you say Taff said on Facebook he was asked to stand down because he criticised the club after Oldham disgrace now he has said it was after pressure from the Dragons because he has been critical of them
Either reason would be disgraceful after all the work Taff has put in but I'm curious as to which reason is correct
Not doubting Mr Pessimist or anyone else just wondering who and why has forced this decision
To quote direct off Taff's Facebook page:

"In order to pre answer any questions which may be asked on Saturday. I will no longer be doing the half time draw at County. The club have asked me to stand down as a volunteer because of my opinions and views I share on Social Media. Would seem clear that there are individuals out there with the motive to see this happen. Have been happy to give my time to help the club on match day whilst being a season ticket holder for about 4 years. A shame that it's over but I will now focus on the Amber Army group and serve a purpose to the club there. Thank you to everyone who bought half time draw tickets from me and stopped to talk to me. Always enjoyed it! UTC".

Further down the post he then states:

"Guys. Just to clarify one thing. Dragons/WRU/RP have been one of the big voices pressuring the club.
Appreciate the support everyone. It means a lot".
"club made the call. They have just had pressure because I criticise them quite often and it would seem I hurt their feelings"
then later:
" I meant about the WRU complaining about me"
Thank you for that
I'm not on Facebook so couldn't check what was said
Chris has given a lot of time and effort to the club and it's a shame its ended like this

whoareya wrote: Your point about the owners of the club deciding is irrelevant as they already have, via their elected Trust Board members.

You are wrong and I will explain why.

The directors of Newport County are elected. They have certain powers. One of those powers is to engage or release volunteers. I don't argue with that.

However. The directors will have to stand for election in future. They will rightly be judged on their record. The decisions they make and the reasons they make them. If they refuse to engage with an accusation then the Trust members are perfectly entitled to come to the conclusion that the accusations are true.

So whilst it is true that Newport County can dispense with the services of Taffwegian, the idea that this being questioned is irrelevant is palpable nonsense.

Morning all. First time on here as I usually use County Chat on Facebook. I volunteer on match days and we all have to sign a code of conduct. I'm guessing Taff has breached it?
This is what we get...

Newport County AFC board of directors & management team insist that highest level of discipline
and professionalism is maintained by everyone associated with the Club at all times and therefore
the following code of conduct has been written with these standards in mind
All volunteers are reminded of their responsibility to adhere to this code at all times.
1. Volunteers should always be polite, courteous and helpful to all spectators regardless of
affiliations.
2. Volunteers should always be smartly dressed, clean and tidy and are required to wear Club uniform
(subject to role) and their Volunteer ID Pass at all times.
3. Volunteers are not employed, hired or contracted to watch the event. They should always
concentrate on their duties and responsibilities.
4. Volunteers should never:
a) Show extreme reaction to the sporting event
b) Be seen eating, drinking or smoking in view of the public when on duty
c) Consume alcohol before or during the event
d) Use obscene or offensive language
5. Volunteers should always appear alert and attentive giving spectator’s confidence that their safety
is ensured.
6. Volunteers should always conduct themselves in a way that positively reflects upon Newport
County AFC.
7. Volunteers should always work towards making all supporters’ visits to Rodney Parade a happy and
entertaining experience.
8. Volunteers are reminded their actions and comments across all social media platforms are
reflective of them as individuals and their connection to the Club. Volunteers are requested to
think before making any actions online which may put their position as a volunteer at the Club in
jeopardy
The Club reserves the right to terminate the services of any volunteer at any point in time.

Jonesy3 wrote:Morning all. First time on here as I usually use County Chat on Facebook. I volunteer on match days and we all have to sign a code of conduct. I'm guessing Taff has breached it?
This is what we get...

Newport County AFC board of directors & management team insist that highest level of discipline
and professionalism is maintained by everyone associated with the Club at all times and therefore
All volunteers are reminded of their responsibility to adhere to this code at all times.
1. Volunteers should always be polite, courteous and helpful to all spectators regardless of
affiliations.
2. Volunteers should always be smartly dressed, clean and tidy and are required to wear Club uniform
3. Volunteers are not employed, hired or contracted to watch the event. They should always
5. Volunteers should always appear alert and attentive giving spectator’s confidence that their safety
is ensured.
6. Volunteers should always conduct themselves in a way that positively reflects upon Newport
County AFC.
7. Volunteers should always work towards making all supporters’ visits to Rodney Parade a happy and
entertaining experience.
8. Volunteers are reminded their actions and comments across all social media platforms are
reflective of them as individuals and their connection to the Club. Volunteers are requested to
think before making any actions online which may put their position as a volunteer at the Club in
jeopardy
The Club reserves the right to terminate the services of any volunteer at any point in time.
Yes, you are guessing.

Taff has made an allegation that Newport County act on the behest of WRU/Dragons. If that is true, and I have only heard the accusation, and it is only an accusation, then the behaviour of the club is shameful. The club need to respond.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Morning Brendan.
Hi Mike,

Interesting point you make about volunteers there Brendan, particularly with regards to the ‘no contract’ point. You will know more than me on this one. I didn’t think that you had to sign a contract to effectively have one anyway.

However, what you write, seems in conflict with what Jonesy3 has written below, particularly with regards to points 6 and 8.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Morning Brendan.
Hi Mike,

Interesting point you make about volunteers there Brendan, particularly with regards to the ‘no contract’ point. You will know more than me on this one. I didn’t think that you had to sign a contract to effectively have one anyway.

However, what you write, seems in conflict with what Jonesy3 has written below, particularly with regards to points 6 and 8.
I don't think there is any conflict. Taff has made an allegation that he was removed as a volunteer because WRU/Dragons pressurized County into doing it.

Secondly whilst a comment such as So and so is a gormless incompetent pillock would be regarded as beyond the pale with respect to what a volunteer might say, I don't see how criticism per se can be.

Finally volunteers by their nature do not have contracts of or for employment. To be clear my point is that Taff has levelled serious allegations. They should be answered. No more or less than that.

Jonesy3 wrote:Morning all. First time on here as I usually use County Chat on Facebook. I volunteer on match days and we all have to sign a code of conduct. I'm guessing Taff has breached it?
This is what we get...

affiliations.
is ensured.
County AFC.
entertaining experience.
jeopardy
Thank you for that, and I for one, will welcome you aboard.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote: Your point about the owners of the club deciding is irrelevant as they already have, via their elected Trust Board members.

You are wrong and I will explain why.

The directors of Newport County are elected. They have certain powers. One of those powers is to engage or release volunteers. I don't argue with that.

However. The directors will have to stand for election in future. They will rightly be judged on their record. The decisions they make and the reasons they make them. If they refuse to engage with an accusation then the Trust members are perfectly entitled to come to the conclusion that the accusations are true.

So whilst it is true that Newport County can dispense with the services of Taffwegian, the idea that this being questioned is irrelevant is palpable nonsense.
Where I have written that questioning it is irrelevant? I wrote that a decision has been made, not that it cant be questioned.

I do wish people would read whats in front of them.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Finally volunteers by their nature do not have contracts of or for employment. To be clear my point is that Taff has levelled serious allegations. They should be answered. No more or less than that.
Serious allegations? What and where are these serious allegations?

Notwithstanding, I think point 6 and 8 of the volunteer code of conduct, together with the reserved right to terminate pretty much cover their backs, even though on the face of it and without any specific information, it sounds heavy handed.

whoareya wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Serious allegations? What and where are these serious allegations?

Notwithstanding, I think point 6 and 8 of the volunteer code of conduct, together with the reserved right to terminate pretty much cover their backs, even though on the face of it and without any specific information, it sounds heavy handed.
Yes 8 seems pretty clear to me

I'm not on Twitface but our supervisor tells everyone don't comment on work at all you basically can't go wrong then