Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Location

Cwmbran

Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby Blackandamber » March 4th, 2020, 10:40 am

Following our heavy defeats at Grimsby and Oldham, it would seem that Rodney Parade will be a safe place for our elderly supporters (me included) on Saturday. We should all be able to sit at least 6 feet apart. Thanks Mike and the boys for being so considerate by performing so badly to ensure our personal safety at home games :lol: .
no avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 4th, 2020, 10:45 am

I honestly believe this is being blown up thousands die each year because of flu yet we don't see the palava made of this

And some will say they have a vaccine for it but that every year is a clinical guess at best
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 4th, 2020, 10:57 am

UPTHEPORT wrote:I honestly believe this is being blown up thousands die each year because of flu yet we don't see the palava made of this

And some will say they have a vaccine for it but that every year is a clinical guess at best


Agree.

Governments have a vested interest in keeping the population scared.
User avatar
User

phil_in_npton

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby phil_in_npton » March 4th, 2020, 10:58 am

Good Morning

Jim, your bare facts are probably correct but I think the distinction is that at the moment this new virus has not levelled out as maybe the flu issue has. If this turns out to be the most deadly virus ever, not taking it seriously enough in the very early stages is dangerous.
We all know that whatever advice and guidelines are given out a large proportion of the general public will ignore it. They know better!

Phil in Northampton
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby pembsexile » March 4th, 2020, 11:18 am

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Morning

Jim, your bare facts are probably correct but I think the distinction is that at the moment this new virus has not levelled out as maybe the flu issue has. If this turns out to be the most deadly virus ever, not taking it seriously enough in the very early stages is dangerous.
We all know that whatever advice and guidelines are given out a large proportion of the general public will ignore it. They know better!

Phil in Northampton


Unfortunately ‘some’ members of the public won’t just ignore the advice, they will campaign against it. As you say, ‘they know better’. We have seen it happen before. It has the potential to have the same effect as the MMR vaccine scenario. People campaign against it, deliberately do not get the vaccine for their kids, hence the rise in measles and mumps. I expect that we will eventually get a vaccine, but it is the Coronavirus advice that ‘some’ people will rebel against.

The government are right to ‘consider their options’ and plan ahead. I have no idea as to the eventual severity of this outbreak but the UK authorities are now advising that May will be the peak month. I am not an outright advocate of listening to the government on all occasions, however, this is not just the government saying ‘things’. Listen to what the UK medical experts are saying, they are not the government, I would rather listen to them but they do give advice to Boris and his bunch.
no avatar
User

G Guest

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby G Guest » March 4th, 2020, 11:43 am

I think that it is very unwise for the Dragons to play Benetton Treviso on Friday. Treviso is near Venice in the infected area of northern Italy. Anyone coming from there could be infected without knowing it and pass it on in Wales.
no avatar
User

Taunton Iron Cider

Location

Taunton

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby Taunton Iron Cider » March 4th, 2020, 12:02 pm

G Guest wrote:I think that it is very unwise for the Dragons to play Benetton Treviso on Friday. Treviso is near Venice in the infected area of northern Italy. Anyone coming from there could be infected without knowing it and pass it on in Wales.


Money talks!
User avatar
User

phil_in_npton

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby phil_in_npton » March 4th, 2020, 12:06 pm

I have to declare an interest here....

We were due to go to Venice for the weekend just gone, kids bought it for us as a Christmas present.
All booked and paid for, Hotel at Luton/ parking, Easy jet flights, transfer bus at Venice airport and two nights in a nice hotel.
Agonised for days beforehand about what to do, wife has low immune system, had pneumonia previously also she is carer for my elderly parents.
We took the decision not to go, all attractions in Venice were closed anyway.
We will never know if the decision was right, probably we would have been fine however that was the choice we made.
Some money was lost on flight and transfer, other was recouped thanks to goodwill of those involved.

We all do the best we can for ourselves and those around us.

Phil in Northampton

( we went to Liverpool instead!)
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Location

Cwmbran

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby Blackandamber » March 4th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Ok I know Coronavirus is not a laughing matter but my topic was just supposed to be poking fun at the fact there is unlikely to be a large crowd at RP on Saturday.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby excessbee » March 4th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Blackandamber wrote:Ok I know Coronavirus is not a laughing matter but my topic was just supposed to be poking fun at the fact there is unlikely to be a large crowd at RP on Saturday.


That was my understanding of your opening post. The wider issues may be worthy of discussion on Everything Else. It does seem to have taken over the headlines from weather problems.
User avatar
User

phil_in_npton

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby phil_in_npton » March 4th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Good Afternoon Black and Amber,

Yes I appreciate your humorous post, I was more answering Jim’s comment. Such is the positive aspect of the forum how we can develop a conversation without personal abuse and bickering.

Happy if the subject is moved to Everything else, for further discussion.

Not happy when it develops into a bun fight!

Phil in Northampton
User avatar
User

papajohn

Location

51DegN, 2DegW,

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby papajohn » March 4th, 2020, 1:30 pm

phil_in_npton wrote:
( we went to Liverpool instead!)


I'll bet you had a nice time too Phil. Lots to do and see in Liverpool.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby pembsexile » March 4th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Blackandamber wrote:Ok I know Coronavirus is not a laughing matter but my topic was just supposed to be poking fun at the fact there is unlikely to be a large crowd at RP on Saturday.


I got that B&A, I saw the humour. Sorry if you feel that the thread has been hijacked. Like others have said, perhaps Joe will move this to everything else. Nice that there is no bickering on here though. :grin:
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Location

Cwmbran

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby Blackandamber » March 4th, 2020, 1:48 pm

phil_in_npton wrote:I have to declare an interest here....

We were due to go to Venice for the weekend just gone, kids bought it for us as a Christmas present.
All booked and paid for, Hotel at Luton/ parking, Easy jet flights, transfer bus at Venice airport and two nights in a nice hotel.
Agonised for days beforehand about what to do, wife has low immune system, had pneumonia previously also she is carer for my elderly parents.
We took the decision not to go, all attractions in Venice were closed anyway.
We will never know if the decision was right, probably we would have been fine however that was the choice we made.
Some money was lost on flight and transfer, other was recouped thanks to goodwill of those involved.

We all do the best we can for ourselves and those around us.

Phil in Northampton

( we went to Liverpool instead!)


I think you made the right decision Phil. My wife has a low immune system too and we wouldn't fancy going to northern Italy at the moment.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » March 4th, 2020, 1:52 pm

G Guest wrote:I think that it is very unwise for the Dragons to play Benetton Treviso on Friday. Treviso is near Venice in the infected area of northern Italy. Anyone coming from there could be infected without knowing it and pass it on in Wales.

Sorry Geoff.

More off your original thread.
Looking forward to Fridays game.
Myself and Mrs Nouble have kindly accepted some fine hospitality but if powers to be call it off so be.
Where do you draw the line.
Cancel everything.
Sure sense will prevail.
Medics know best.
Next

Who is online

Powered by phpBB ®