Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:I have a nasty feeling that this Government is lying to us, and is in fact pursuing the 'herd mentality' theory (as many people get covid-19 as possible in the hope that most then get immune to getting it again), and doing this by stealth. The evidence which suggests this is happening -

1. Today, Gove claimed there were supply problems obtaining the chemicals needed for the test kits. Today, the UK industry association disputed this, saying they have supplies and could produce more, but haven't been asked to do so.

2. 2 weeks ago, BoJo stated there were enough tests to do 25,000 a day. Currently, they're testing around 8,000 a day. Those being tested seem to be the NHS staff (slowly, long overdue, I agree they must be tested), those in hospital with symptoms (again, I agree this is necessary) plus, it would seem, politicians, VIPs and royalty (can't say I agree they're a higher priority than OAPs living at home with underlying poor health).

3. Ventilators. It's quite clear the EU were happy to include the UK in their bulk-purchase but our esteemed Government decided we'd make our own. Several well-intended companies offering to make them but clearly asked a bit too late as supplies are being outstripped by demand.

4. We've got a partial lock-down, obeyed by some ignored by others, but hardly signs of a strong leadership. The rest of the world bar some US states ordered a full lock-down immediately.

5. Lack of PPE and basic equipment for our NHS staff. A truly world-class health service should ALWAYS have this kit, not merely try to source it in times of a crisis.

If this was happening in another part of the world and didn't affect the UK we'd be accusing their government of orchestrated genocide. If the above is remotely true then I can see full-scale riots and national disobedience in the near future.
My own view is that whilst your argument is well made I believe it is incompetence on the part of the Tory Government rather than genocide. Boris the Idiot couldn't organize a tea making rota in a workplace of one, let alone a mass cull of the UK population.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:I have a nasty feeling that this Government is lying to us, and is in fact pursuing the 'herd mentality' theory (as many people get covid-19 as possible in the hope that most then get immune to getting it again), and doing this by stealth. The evidence which suggests this is happening -

1. Today, Gove claimed there were supply problems obtaining the chemicals needed for the test kits. Today, the UK industry association disputed this, saying they have supplies and could produce more, but haven't been asked to do so.

2. 2 weeks ago, BoJo stated there were enough tests to do 25,000 a day. Currently, they're testing around 8,000 a day. Those being tested seem to be the NHS staff (slowly, long overdue, I agree they must be tested), those in hospital with symptoms (again, I agree this is necessary) plus, it would seem, politicians, VIPs and royalty (can't say I agree they're a higher priority than OAPs living at home with underlying poor health).

3. Ventilators. It's quite clear the EU were happy to include the UK in their bulk-purchase but our esteemed Government decided we'd make our own. Several well-intended companies offering to make them but clearly asked a bit too late as supplies are being outstripped by demand.

4. We've got a partial lock-down, obeyed by some ignored by others, but hardly signs of a strong leadership. The rest of the world bar some US states ordered a full lock-down immediately.

5. Lack of PPE and basic equipment for our NHS staff. A truly world-class health service should ALWAYS have this kit, not merely try to source it in times of a crisis.

If this was happening in another part of the world and didn't affect the UK we'd be accusing their government of orchestrated genocide. If the above is remotely true then I can see full-scale riots and national disobedience in the near future.
My own view is that whilst your argument is well made I believe it is incompetence on the part of the Tory Government rather than genocide. Boris the Idiot couldn't organize a tea making rota in a workplace of one, let alone a mass cull of the UK population.
You may well be correct , however the net result is an horrendous and unnecessary loss of life. It’s sobering to go on facepest where there are still numerous posts sycophantically praising Johnson and his tame medical “ herd “ idiot advisers for their catastrophic handling of this crisis. Anyone with half an eye could see where this was going and praise should be preserved for those countries who are handling it properly and our brave health workers forced to work in this self-inflicted viral blitzkrieg. I hope sincerely that their selfless contribution is not soon forgotten.

lowandhard wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

You may well be correct , however the net result is an horrendous and unnecessary loss of life. It’s sobering to go on facepest where there are still numerous posts sycophantically praising Johnson and his tame medical “ herd “ idiot advisers for their catastrophic handling of this crisis. Anyone with half an eye could see where this was going and praise should be preserved for those countries who are handling it properly and our brave health workers forced to work in this self-inflicted viral blitzkrieg. I hope sincerely that their selfless contribution is not soon forgotten.
Totally agree.

What I would add is that since 1979 the UK has had a fetish about small government and private enterprise. I am not against private enterprise per se but when it comes to health and education I fail utterly to see why. Indeed much of the crisis now is caused by ten years of austerity. And yet in public works it seems a 4,000 bed hospital can be ready in a fortnight.

That said in my view Boris the Idiot should only be tried for gross negligence manslaughter, along with a fair few others. He is an arrogant, pompous, little toad utterly lacking in compassion and devoid of any sense of duty to anything but his own narrow self interest. But as I say not a mass murderer.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Totally agree.

What I would add is that since 1979 the UK has had a fetish about small government and private enterprise. I am not against private enterprise per se but when it comes to health and education I fail utterly to see why. Indeed much of the crisis now is caused by ten years of austerity. And yet in public works it seems a 4,000 bed hospital can be ready in a fortnight.

That said in my view Boris the Idiot should only be tried for gross negligence manslaughter, along with a fair few others. He is an arrogant, pompous, little toad utterly lacking in compassion and devoid of any sense of duty to anything but his own narrow self interest. But as I say not a mass murderer.
Ignore the fact that Public Health England and the Welsh Assembly are both being shown, despite very fat salaries for these quangos, to be total incompetents. Also that a pandemic scenario was acted out throughout the NHS about 3 years ago, and apparently no lessons learnt. Germany on the other hand were straight out of the starting blocks as soon as a whiff of this pandemic featured on their radar.
Even now PHE are restricting treatments or testing because they allegedly lack approval. These people couldn’t even run a bath and have no sense of urgency or any value of money.

Im afraid that the NHS will always be in demand for money and resources, my concern is that evidence shows that they can’t even manage efficiently what they have got now. To put matters in context, the current budget of over £140 billion equates to about £2500 for every man, woman and child in this country. This is no reflection on the dedication or hard work being put in by the staff at the coal face, but I’m afraid that these boys and girls are being led by donkeys. When this crisis is over then major reform of the NHS will be required, and that is not privatisation just common sense.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:

Ignore the fact that Public Health England and the Welsh Assembly are both being shown, despite very fat salaries for these quangos, to be total incompetents. Also that a pandemic scenario was acted out throughout the NHS about 3 years ago, and apparently no lessons learnt. Germany on the other hand were straight out of the starting blocks as soon as a whiff of this pandemic featured on their radar.
Even now PHE are restricting treatments or testing because they allegedly lack approval. These people couldn’t even run a bath and have no sense of urgency or any value of money.

Im afraid that the NHS will always be in demand for money and resources, my concern is that evidence shows that they can’t even manage efficiently what they have got now. To put matters in context, the current budget of over £140 billion equates to about £2500 for every man, woman and child in this country. This is no reflection on the dedication or hard work being put in by the staff at the coal face, but I’m afraid that these boys and girls are being led by donkeys. When this crisis is over then major reform of the NHS will be required, and that is not privatisation just common sense.
Excellent post.

We didn't learn any lessons from the recent exercise, or if we did we didn't implement it.

Whilst there are some pointless roles and the many manager roles in the NHS, then we'll always never be able to afford it properly - let alone spending a fortune just to change a light bulb.