Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

G Guest wrote:It's more the players that are at risk than the spectators. If I was Dragons player I wouldn't want to play in this game.
Not sure I would entirely agree with that. Understand that players will be in close contact with each other, and indeed even bodily fluids can exchanged, but I'm led to believe that the players and staff have been tested. This certainly cannot be said of any of there supporters. Although are there are restrictions in place for potential supporters movements into this country?

The Americans are screening people arriving from northern Italy but I don't think we are. My point is really that holding this game is an unnecessary risk. In all probability nothing will happen.

There are eleven small towns in the Veneto which are in quarantine and nobody is allowed in or out without a permit. Treviso is in the Veneto but is not quarantined. There is good reason to be cautious. It is not scaremongering.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
G Guest wrote:I think that it is very unwise for the Dragons to play Benetton Treviso on Friday. Treviso is near Venice in the infected area of northern Italy. Anyone coming from there could be infected without knowing it and pass it on in Wales.
Sorry Geoff.

More off your original thread.
Looking forward to Fridays game.
Myself and Mrs Nouble have kindly accepted some fine hospitality but if powers to be call it off so be.
Where do you draw the line.
Cancel everything.
Sure sense will prevail.
Medics know best.
Probably only a small risk Paul but a risk nevertheless coming from a region with many infected.

Some people are saying that this scare is much ado about nothing but some aspects make coronavirus a bit different. It appears to be twice as transmissible as ‘flu and ten times as lethal. So as ‘flu causes death in 0.1% of the population then it should be expected that approx 2% would die from covid19. For old sods like me with every risk factor under the sun, then we’d better keep our heads down for a bit. I think Phil in Northampton made a sensible call.

lowandhard wrote:Some people are saying that this scare is much ado about nothing but some aspects make coronavirus a bit different. It appears to be twice as transmissible as ‘flu and ten times as lethal. So as ‘flu causes death in 0.1% of the population then it should be expected that approx 2% would die from covid19. For old sods like me with every risk factor under the sun, then we’d better keep our heads down for a bit. I think Phil in Northampton made a sensible call.
Thanks for the stats. I am very interested in factual information on this issue and reading your previous posts I know you have some expertise in this area.

Question. I know that maths is not my strongpoint but regarding the death rate you quote, if the Covid 19 is ten times as lethal, shouldn’t that make the expected fatality rate 1%. Unless of course you are counting the *2 transmissible factor as well. How does that work? All statistical information gratefully received.

Another question about the virus. We are told that the virus is very infectious and we are to wash our hands at regular intervals. Sound good advice in most circumstances anyway. However, we are also told that the virus is an airborne one. Some agencies advise that the use of face masks is worthless. Is washing our hands going to have a major effect upon the transmission of this virus? It can also be transmitted via faeces and urine apparently. There is a long way to go before we get to all the facts on this one.

pembsexile wrote:Another question about the virus. We are told that the virus is very infectious and we are to wash our hands at regular intervals. Sound good advice in most circumstances anyway. However, we are also told that the virus is an airborne one. Some agencies advise that the use of face masks is worthless. Is washing our hands going to have a major effect upon the transmission of this virus? It can also be transmitted via faeces and urine apparently. There is a long way to go before we get to all the facts on this one.

unless you wash your hands with at least 60% alcohol hand wash it wont kill the virus,,Soap and water wont kill it. It will help but dont think yoy are 100% safe by doing so
otherwise , wash your hands in soap and water, drink 1 litre of 18% alcohol and your too pissed to care :lol:
try getting hold of masks and hand washes too....Very low stocks everywhere

neilcork68 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Another question about the virus. We are told that the virus is very infectious and we are to wash our hands at regular intervals. Sound good advice in most circumstances anyway. However, we are also told that the virus is an airborne one. Some agencies advise that the use of face masks is worthless. Is washing our hands going to have a major effect upon the transmission of this virus? It can also be transmitted via faeces and urine apparently. There is a long way to go before we get to all the facts on this one.

unless you wash your hands with at least 60% alcohol hand wash it wont kill the virus,,Soap and water wont kill it. It will help but dont think yoy are 100% safe by doing so
otherwise , wash your hands in soap and water, drink 1 litre of 18% alcohol and your too pissed to care :lol:
According to a professor of virology soap and water works by removing the oily outer layer of the virus. The virus is then de-activated. Obviously you have to wash your hands before the virus gets into your mouth, nose or eyes.

Blackandamber wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

According to a professor of virology soap and water works by removing the oily outer layer of the virus. The virus is then de-activated. Obviously you have to wash your hands before the virus gets into your mouth, nose or eyes.
Also it's the effect of the running water that gets rid of the bacteria and viruses. Read Leviticus in the bible. God told the Jews about hygiene long before medical science caught up. Not long ago doctors were going from one patient to the next without washing their hands.