Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Yes and no. I saw the paper (now being published in the NEMJ I think) on a med preprint server a few days ago.

The findings were that it may be transmissible for around 3 to 4 hours in aerosol form in certain circumstances (hospital theatres and ICUs).

It may survive for about 24 hours on cardboard and 2 to 3 days on plastic and stainless steel.

That was preliminary work (will need corroboration) and doesn't negate that the principal transmission route is still thought to be direct personal contact (with transmission to nose and mouth via your hands) and being directly sneezed and coughed on.

It doesn't change the advice, currently.

NearlyDead wrote:Yes and no. I saw the paper (now being published in the NEMJ I think) on a med preprint server a few days ago.

The findings were that it may be transmissible for around 3 to 4 hours in aerosol form in certain circumstances (hospital theatres and ICUs).

It may survive for about 24 hours on cardboard and 2 to 3 days on plastic and stainless steel.

That was preliminary work (will need corroboration) and doesn't negate that the principal transmission route is still thought to be direct personal contact (with transmission to nose and mouth via your hands) and being directly sneezed and coughed on.

It doesn't change the advice, currently.
Thanks for that, it confirms what I’ve read about the virus’s survival on surfaces. It makes you realise how difficult it is to navigate this world without possibly picking up the virus from a contaminated surface even if you’re housebound and relying on deliveries! You can’t quarantine a perishable food delivery in the porch for a couple of days.

I'd suggest removing all items from their external packaging on receipt and put them straight in recycling/refuse bins. Cans can be relabelled with an indelible marker and paper labels then removed. These and directly printed-on cans and glass can then be washed with soap and water.

You could use Marigolds or not for this exercise, but either way wash the gloves or hands as per recommendation, ensuring not to touch your face prior to completing the exercise of course. And not forgetting to wipe work surfaces.

Might be worth doing for vulnerable populations.

neilcork68 wrote:Typical

Been to work in the past feeling like crap and the bosses attitude was, man up and get on with it

My son gets sent home from school today with a headache and a slight temperature and I get sent home from work to self quarantine for 14 days even though I feel fine :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I don’t think that is two of the parameters that are required to self isolate. A persistent dry cough is the main one, without phlegm. Haven’t seen any information on a headache being part of it.

For info’ my wife is in a vulnerable position and I certainly don’t want her to get it. I asked my GP for advice on what I should look out for before the proper symptoms show 5 days after catching the virus. He said:

Sore throat
Felling achy
Feeling yeuch!

The more info’ we have the better chance we have of avoiding it.

As I work in the Pharmacy industry delivering to vulnerable people we have been instructed by the NHS that even if any of our family shows even the slightest sign of any of the symptoms we MUST self quarantine to avoid any dangers of passing the virus on
I feel 100% but because there is a very slight chance he may have caught the virus it could take up to 5 days before I show any symptoms and people working in the industry cannot take chances as I could pass it on to hundreds more that I deliver to .
As most of my deliveries are to Nursing Homes who are the most vulnerable people at risk We cannot take chances.
Anyway 14 days off for me :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
if I am symptom free, the garden , garage tidied and decorating will have to be done as I cant put it off any longer .the better half has already told me that as I walked in the door after being sent home from work :lol: