Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:It is now reported that data gathered from millions of volunteers found coronavirus "hotspots" shortly after the Cheltenham Festival and Liverpool's Champions League match against Atletico Madrid.

Equally, do you think that there could also be a link to the South East Wales ‘hotspot’ and the visit of Benetton?
Yes, and the County also played at home less than 24 hours later.

I'm not surprised, even without any hindsight it did seem foolish to continue with Cheltenham races and Liverpool's Champions League game given the crowds involved, many of whom were Spanish fans leaving a country already tormented by covid-19 and flying into the UK.

I read a suggestion over the weekend where lower league clubs might be able to allow some fans in to watch games up to 25% capacity. Presumably no standing and fans sat several spaced apart. I think this could possibly work at RP as long as fans accessed their allocated seat sensibly maintaining social distancing when queueing etc. It would need some careful stewarding to stop everyone entering and leaving at the same time, not all rushing for the toilets at half-time etc but with careful planning it might work next season.

Good Afternoon

On paper it sounds feasible but in reality it means a high level of awareness and responsibility from stewards. I don’t think that is practical and will cause all sorts of problems, people can’t even sit in seats with respect to others around them. Football fans and rules don’t mix too well, for 80-90% maybe but as always 10% are going to mess it up for everyone else.

Phil in Northampton

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: I read a suggestion over the weekend where lower league clubs might be able to allow some fans in to watch games up to 25% capacity. Presumably no standing and fans sat several spaced apart. I think this could possibly work at RP as long as fans accessed their allocated seat sensibly maintaining social distancing when queueing etc. It would need some careful stewarding to stop everyone entering and leaving at the same time, not all rushing for the toilets at half-time etc but with careful planning it might work next season.
Could be a Season Ticket Holder only admission?

phil_in_npton wrote: On paper it sounds feasible but in reality it means a high level of awareness and responsibility from stewards.
Phil in Northampton
Fair point Phil. RP stewards and "high level of awareness and responsibility" haven't always gone hand in hand. What happened with that enquiry into the mindless idiot taunting Stuart McCall at the home game v Bradford? I don't recall seeing an update, was the cretin ever identified and dealt with?

I have just been listening to the Andrew Marr show. He had an Epidemiologist/Virologist on there talking about Covid. His name was Professor Edmonds.

At the end of his interview he mentioned that this virus would be ended via herd immunity after a vaccine has been found. He was challenged on this and explained that this is the way that all epidemics eventually end.

What this means is that we are in this for the long run and many more people will die. This is appalling but a fact of the Coronavirus epidemic. It is so sad.

We discussed the ‘herd immunity’ scenario earlier on this very thread. There were some thought provoking comments at the time. To me, the person who has made most sense on this thread is lowandhard. Unfortunately we haven’t heard from him for a while. Mike, could you let us know your thoughts on Professor Edmonds comments this morning please as I would be very interested to hear them.