Two points from Saturday.

Can't comment on the game as I didn't see it, but two things I did see.

First of all our goal. In my view it was very clever. Whether Gorman intended it to go in I doubt. What he did was to play it into an area in such a way as it was difficult to defend. It went directly in, it could just as easily been forced home by a County forward or resulted in an own goal. In any event he didn't blast it over the bar.

Secondly the pitch. Absolute disgrace. And here's my fear. We keep saying that the rugby are ruining the playing surface. Unfortunately it is their surface to ruin. If I were the WRU I would be laying a synthetic surface as soon as possible. And if that is 2023 then I wouldn't spend any monies in the meantime over reseeding the pitch and general maintenance.

Then again I could be wrong and it is I suppose possible that the WRU will be entirely altruistic in their treatment of Newport County.

Re: Two points from Saturday.

Agreed on both points.

But the question on your second point is.. knowing what you know now, as a fan, what could we as fans done differently in the 80s to stop the death of NCFC?

And to follow that.. what can we do differently, as fans, to ensure our club's survival in the face of potentially inevitable circumstances?

The pitch is a total embarrassment to the Rugby fraternity also.
Regardless at worst it will be re sewn or probably completely re done.
Drainage is superb now.
When we kick off next season it will look like Wimbledon.
For how long the jury is out though.
So much sand chucked on it again dreadful.

I believe that the WRU are in talks with South Wales Sports Grounds ( I think that's the name of the firm ) you see their vans around Newport regularly to relay the pitch this summer. The preferred option this time I believe is the type of pitch which they have at the Liberty Stadium which has a life span of 10 years rather than the 3 years on the current pitch. One potential problem could be the use of growth lights which they use in Swansea I don't know if the WRU would invest in these as well, as Frank stated the drainage is much better since the remedial work was done prior to the current pitch being laid . I suppose we could always ask the Gwent Constabulary if we could have the all the grow lamps that have been taken off the local Cannabis farmers :grin:

Papski2 wrote:Agreed on both points.

But the question on your second point is.. knowing what you know now, as a fan, what could we as fans done differently in the 80s to stop the death of NCFC?

And to follow that.. what can we do differently, as fans, to ensure our club's survival in the face of potentially inevitable circumstances?
Only my opinion.

To your first question nothing. Our club died because of years of mismanagement.

As to what we can now do differently? Okay whilst not being critical of those who were involved in the rebirth of Newport County inevitability mistakes were made. The thing about mistakes is that everybody makes them. The wise learn from those errors, the unwise go into denial. And for me it is unfortunate that far too many people ignore the biggest mistake of all.

The best time to have started developing a fit for purpose stadium was June 1988. The second best time, now at least, is March 2020.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I thought in the summer of 1988 the club was in such a financial state that it was touch and go whether it would be able to start in the Conference, was locked out of the ground until a few days before the season started and could only raise a full team for the first game by signing a few parks players?
Okay George, fat fingers should have read 1989. Still nice to know there's a bigger pedant than me on this board.

Corpaboy wrote:I’m sure I read recently that the Drag-ons coach and hierarchy are AGAINST a full plastic pitch ?
What the Dragons or anyone else using the pitch want is irrelevant. WRU call the shots. Buttress and Ryan do as they are told.

All we know for sure is that the pitch will have some grass on it until 2023 provided we remain in the EFL.

faerun exile wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:I’m sure I read recently that the Drag-ons coach and hierarchy are AGAINST a full plastic pitch ?
What the Dragons or anyone else using the pitch want is irrelevant. WRU call the shots. Buttress and Ryan do as they are told.

All we know for sure is that the pitch will have some grass on it until 2023 provided we remain in the EFL.
The first bit of that is definitely not true , as for the second bit then that’s fair enough.

lowandhard wrote:
faerun exile wrote:

The first bit of that is definitely not true , as for the second bit then that’s fair enough.
Hi Mike,
Hope this doesn't embarrass you. Do you know if junior is still willing to engage with County supporters? And if yes why the powers that be at County don't avail themselves of the opportunity?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
faerun exile wrote:

Hi Mike,
Hope this doesn't embarrass you. Do you know if junior is still willing to engage with County supporters? And if yes why the powers that be at County don't avail themselves of the opportunity?
Hi Brendan, I’m sure he would, he’s always been very communicative though of course I really wouldn’t presume to speak for him , he’s his own man naturally. I’m not sure of the need though as I’m not aware of any great bones of contention between the respective parties at the moment. All I’ve got to say about this is that together we can both prosper, if only we had enough of the readies to become a proper partner rather than a tenant eh? I’m sure they value our contribution though and I don’t think we’re in danger. However, any County fan with any sense would want a more equal relationship I admit.
Edit: sorry I didn’t address the part of your question about the motives of the powers that be at our club. The honest and simple answer is that I have no idea, it all seems part of the general lack of transparency of the regime and their rather awful communication skills. Just my view, mind you.