Re: Games On (Now its Not)

Bush wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:I personally think they will draw a blank on this season this virus could go on for months
I think FIFA/UEFA will enforce every league to be voided. You can’t have some leagues finishing and some not.
Not every league plays August-May. Quite a few play across a single year. Would cause havoc with continental qualification, some have already secured their places in the Champions/Europa Leagues. UEFA would be facing all sorts from owners who would claim they were unfairly denied European competition.

I think they'll move the international competitions to next summer and prioritise league fixtures over the summer. Cancel cup competitions if necessary. Next season, scrap the League Cup/EFL Trophy for a year to fit in extra midweek fixtures.

Caradog wrote:Crazy and scary decision made by some very uneducated people. This virus will be around for ever and we will all catch it at some point! Govt advisers were trying to build linear herd immunity with manageable admissions to hospital. Now we may have an unmanageable peak in cases like Italy. Well done! The hysterical stupids win again!
Spot on.
Madness
Lets all ignore the most senior medical advice and do the opposite.
Totally crazy.

Willthiswork wrote:I think there could be lots of midweek games - may even be 3 games a week to complete the season.
Don't know if they still do but,Gwent County and Newport and District would always have Tuesday and Thursday or Monday and Wednesday games in April to fulfil games.If amateurs could do it well why not professionals.

DT1892 wrote:
Bush wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:I personally think they will draw a blank on this season this virus could go on for months
I think FIFA/UEFA will enforce every league to be voided. You can’t have some leagues finishing and some not.
Not every league plays August-May. Quite a few play across a single year. Would cause havoc with continental qualification, some have already secured their places in the Champions/Europa Leagues. UEFA would be facing all sorts from owners who would claim they were unfairly denied European competition.

I think they'll move the international competitions to next summer and prioritise league fixtures over the summer. Cancel cup competitions if necessary. Next season, scrap the League Cup/EFL Trophy for a year to fit in extra midweek fixtures.
If they can’t finish the leagues by July 1st they have no choice but to void the season. Otherwise teams like county will have to sign on players they don’t want to sign on for another year just to have squads big enough to fulfil fixtures. End of the day sport isn’t bigger than peoples lives. The big questions for the government are how to Keep people alive not how to fulfil football fixtures.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Caradog wrote:Crazy and scary decision made by some very uneducated people. This virus will be around for ever and we will all catch it at some point! Govt advisers were trying to build linear herd immunity with manageable admissions to hospital. Now we may have an unmanageable peak in cases like Italy. Well done! The hysterical stupids win again!
Spot on.
Madness
Totally crazy.
But the medical advice is now to ban large public gatherings which is why the president of the USA changed his stance todo and why it’s just been announced boris will announce it tomorrow. I’d be surprised if any school is in on Monday as well now.

Bush wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Spot on.
Madness
Totally crazy.
But the medical advice is now to ban large public gatherings which is why the president of the USA changed his stance todo and why it’s just been announced boris will announce it tomorrow. I’d be surprised if any school is in on Monday as well now.
No it's not but as I said the hysterical people are winning the PR battle so daft decisions are being made. Apparently Portuguese beaches are now full of schoolchildren mixing far more and will go home to elderly relatives.

Caradog wrote:
Bush wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Spot on.
Madness
Totally crazy.
No it's not but as I said the hysterical people are winning the PR battle so daft decisions are being made. Apparently Portuguese beaches are now full of schoolchildren mixing far more and will go home to elderly relatives.
And there lies the issue
Most of the measures that are put in place rely on people actually following the advice and many will ignore the advice and carry on regardless
I have already heard comments amongst my own friends such as ''this virus is not gonna stop me doing what I want to do''

Incorrect. We will not all catch it at some point. In the same way that not all people catch the flu or catch a cold. Did everyone catch SARS or Ebola? Of course not.

Apparently there is already a vaccine but it is in the early stages of development. It could possibly be another year before it is ready for general use.

Doing nothing is not an option. The primary reason for stopping mass gatherings is so that the virus does not effect as many primary healthcare workers as it otherwise would. If the NHS and GP surgery staff has up to 20% of people off with either self isolation or sickness then the vulnerable people in society will really suffer. Whatever the government do, they will be criticised but they have to do something. They, and the sports authorities are not the ‘hysterical stupids’.

Nationwide virtually a full fixture list on today, plus everything below.
The presenter on Breakfast finished her article on Notts County by saying everybody get down here, including Forrest fans.
Will have a bigger gate that us regardless.

pembsexile wrote:
Incorrect. We will not all catch it at some point. In the same way that not all people catch the flu or catch a cold. Did everyone catch SARS or Ebola? Of course not.

Apparently there is already a vaccine but it is in the early stages of development. It could possibly be another year before it is ready for general use.

Doing nothing is not an option. The primary reason for stopping mass gatherings is so that the virus does not effect as many primary healthcare workers as it otherwise would. If the NHS and GP surgery staff has up to 20% of people off with either self isolation or sickness then the vulnerable people in society will really suffer. Whatever the government do, they will be criticised but they have to do something. They, and the sports authorities are not the ‘hysterical stupids’.
Surely even the most basic common sense would tell you this is a very different virus than SARS and Ebola. Our bodies are full of viruses. Have you ever had a cold? Good luck not getting it! Come back in a few months and let me know. An apology will be nice!

Caradog wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Surely even the most basic common sense would tell you this is a very different virus than SARS and Ebola. Our bodies are full of viruses. Have you ever had a cold? Good luck not getting it! Come back in a few months and let me know. An apology will be nice!
Hopefully think you are wrong there.
Am 70 only had my first flu injection recently and in 70 years never had flu.
Think that's over the top slightly.
This is not a cold by the way but agree with some of your points

Caradog wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Surely even the most basic common sense would tell you that not everyone will catch it. Tell you what, you come back on here in a few months when everyone in the world has caught it. Will that happen? Of course not. An apology will be nice