Re: Sky Sports

There'll be a few bookies losing big money also. I feel for the smaller independent bookmakers but most of the larger corporations deserve to lose out.

BT Sport are excelling tonight, they're about to show a 1977 game between Spurs and Bristol Rovers. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel, so glad I extended my contract with them.

George Street-Bridge wrote:One good thing that might come out of the whole sorry business - assuming it doesn't finish us all off - is it might calm down hysteria about sport. And maybe less sport to bet on will mean less betting, with benefits for society as a whole.
Sound point. Agree ,100%

mad norm wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:One good thing that might come out of the whole sorry business - assuming it doesn't finish us all off - is it might calm down hysteria about sport. And maybe less sport to bet on will mean less betting, with benefits for society as a whole.
Sound point. Agree ,100%

You got to remember these companies employ thousands of people

George Street-Bridge wrote:They do, but so does drug-dealing. Money not paid to bookies could fund useful economic activity instead.

Drug dealing is illegal last time i checked where as thousands of employees from betting companies pay taxes and are contributing to society

Sorry to compare to drug dealing is low

UPTHEPORT wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:It stokes addiction and damages families, just like drug-dealing.

OK so does alcohol so does computer gaming so does exercise in some people just a few examples

So what do we do about them
Knowing bookmakers.

less than !% population dead 3/1
1%-3% dead 2/1
3%-5% dead 9/4
5-10% dead 6/1
10-25% dead 10/1
25-99% dead 66/1
We all croak 10,000/1

And try collecting on that last bet. :grin:

On this occasion I agree with George.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:It stokes addiction and damages families, just like drug-dealing.

OK so does alcohol so does computer gaming so does exercise in some people just a few examples

So what do we do about them
Knowing bookmakers.

less than !% population dead 3/1
1%-3% dead 2/1
3%-5% dead 9/4
5-10% dead 6/1
10-25% dead 10/1
25-99% dead 66/1
We all croak 10,000/1

And try collecting on that last bet. :grin:

On this occasion I agree with George.
In ever so slightly ‘poor taste’ for you Brendan but you have done your research. I know you dislike the bookies.

A day or so ago the WHO death rate was 3.54%. If you believe Trump the ‘real’ figure is closer to 1% and the WHO figures are fake news so you may have been a bit generous with your first prediction.

On a serious note, in the long term there needs to be a coordinated international effort to combat this outbreak. We are all in it together. America first will not work, he thinks it is a foreigners disease. Pratt.

Good news of the day, the international coordinated effort is starting. The UN and the Swiss authorities have got together to start it off. About time. The information is available on the WHO website.

There have already been some real environmental benefits reported as a fall-out from covid-19. Pollution in China and Italy, for a start, has plummeted. British folk are soon to find out that the only food available will be UK grown and sourced, they won't be getting a mobile phone upgrade anytime soon (given that most phones are made in the East) and petrol and oil will soon be in short supply.

That's the worse case scenario. Better news is that we'll form a better sense of community spirit, UK tourism will increase (when the worst of the virus is waning) and as a state we'll be better prepared for when the next national or international crisis occurs (be that an environmental crisis, international war or - most likely - the next, new strain of covid-19 strikes).