Re: Season End, what’s your view?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:My own view, nothing more.

This season is over. I don't see large scale gatherings, be it sport, pubs, whatever starting this side of Christmas.

If I am right on that then next season isn't going to happen. So better by far to complete this season then, losing one season not two.

I see the problem with player contracts. However all professional clubs are in the same boat. When it comes to power within our game the pendulum has swung too far in favour of players and agents. Perhaps this virus at least gives the opportunity if all clubs act in unison to restore some balance.

Oh and before anyone does, please don't equate the paragraph above for me saying that the virus isn't a terrible scourge.
Cpl of points.in regard to contracts although as stated every club is in this position some clubs will lose far more players than others if this extends any longer.i know fa/clubs considering allowing short term extensions if the player and club wanted it but my next question is if club A has say furloughed it’s players and they then leave if contracts run out how would club A then replace these players as can’t see you being allowed to sign new ones under furlough conditions surely.and last point is if this season is to be completed at the expense of next season what is the point of promotion and relegation. Cannot see clubs agreeing to possibility of being relegated and not have chance to get back up for equivalent of 2 yrs and at our level no fans is no money and no club so I can honestly see this season being nulled and the leagues looking very different when it does start again properly due to restructuring as there is a real possibility of losing some clubs

Link below to leaked conversation from captain of Bristol Rovers, reporting back to his players. Discusses outcome of a meeting with the EFL attended by all EFL club captains. Looks like it's going to be promotions based on PPG and no relegations this season. 3 teams up from each division so next season will have:

EPL 23
C 24
EFL1 23
EFL2 21

Doesn't mention any teams coming up from NL.

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/16220/seri ... lTo=616441

frostyjohn wrote:Declare the season null and void. No promotion no relegation. Any end to this season will be contrived, and will impact on next season. Next season may then start, albeit later than normally.
I see the logic in that. However if large gatherings are the final part of the lockdown to be lifted I don't see football resuming before Christmas which will mean two seasons being lost.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
frostyjohn wrote:Declare the season null and void. No promotion no relegation. Any end to this season will be contrived, and will impact on next season. Next season may then start, albeit later than normally.
I see the logic in that. However if large gatherings are the final part of the lockdown to be lifted I don't see football resuming before Christmas which will mean two seasons being lost.
I had supported the view that this season should be played out to a 'normal' conclusion but I think the time line has now gone too far for that. December/January may be as good as it gets if it is to be the real thing in stadiums with paying spectators. I'll again put forward the idea of North/South splits of twelve teams playing a 22 match season as a one-off solution to finish as usual in May.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Interesting Faerun, thanks. Surely L2 will take a couple from the NL rather than lose three games' worth of revenue?
You’d have thought so - makes sense. Many questions to resolve with this scenario. How will the EPL revert back to 20 teams - relegate 4 for next few seasons until they return to 20? Take opportunity to return EFL1 to 24 teams but what about the likes of Bolton who should be penalised for their off-field problems? Promote how many from the NL to bolster the number of EFL2 teams - last thing we need financially is lose 2-3 home fixtures?