Re: Season End, what’s your view?

UPTHEPORT wrote:
NearlyDead wrote:Indeed, relaying the pitch may not be possible during this summer on account of restrictions on association and non-essential travelling.

Also, RP is now a covid-19 testing station isn't it, with restricted(?) access. That may well still be in operation come the summer.
Well construction still going on they have to stay at safe distance
Not for much longer, totally impossible to stay 2 metres all the time apart and then jump in a van together to go home.
Seriously for somebody employed by the NHS gobsmacked at some of your statements.
Earlier this week 4 builders sat together on a wall outside a new build having a chat and cuppa.
Its up to everybody now to tell idiots like them to not break the rules.
I certainly will if I see it happen in the future.

I don't see the point of not finishing the last quarter of a season, when it looks incredibly likely that next season will be affected in some way anyway. Get this season out of the way when it is safe to do so, and then look to see how we can work next season. What happens if we cancel this season, then find ourselves in a similar position with 20/21?

DT1892 wrote:I don't see the point of not finishing the last quarter of a season, when it looks incredibly likely that next season will be affected in some way anyway. Get this season out of the way when it is safe to do so, and then look to see how we can work next season. What happens if we cancel this season, then find ourselves in a similar position with 20/21?
That's pretty much my view.

We're going to lose a season and I think it makes more sense to play this one out when the crisis is over. August 2021 will be when we finally get back to normal,

Most teams have 9 games approx to play.If we are out until June then we could play those games in June and July...
Have a 4 to 6 week break as most are having an 8 week break now so wont need that long a rest before the new season starts. Start the new season early to mid September ( 8/10 week break), cancel the League cup for one season and the FL trophy and just have the 46 League games and hopefully 4 FA cup games . the season could run from September 2020 to the end of June 2020...Thats about 38 weeks to get 48/50 games in.
They could also consider cancelling all international friendlies just play the qualifiers as we have a tournament next summer so not to overplay the top players.
Start the 2021/22 season in the first week of September also..Thats another 8 /9 week break between seasons.

neilcork68 wrote:Most teams have 9 games approx to play.If we are out until June then we could play those games in June and July...
Have a 4 to 6 week break as most are having an 8 week break now so wont need that long a rest before the new season starts. Start the new season early to mid September ( 8/10 week break), cancel the League cup for one season and the FL trophy and just have the 46 League games and hopefully 4 FA cup games . the season could run from September 2020 to the end of June 2020...Thats about 38 weeks to get 48/50 games in.
They could also consider cancelling all international friendlies just play the qualifiers as we have a tournament next summer so not to overplay the top players.
Start the 2021/22 season in the first week of September also..Thats another 8 /9 week break between seasons.
I think that we will be out far longer than June.

DT1892 wrote:I don't see the point of not finishing the last quarter of a season, when it looks incredibly likely that next season will be affected in some way anyway. Get this season out of the way when it is safe to do so, and then look to see how we can work next season. What happens if we cancel this season, then find ourselves in a similar position with 20/21?
There are a couple of other issues that may come into play here as well.

As the covid-19 infection peak passes and restrictions are lifted around the world there is the chance of a second wave arising and restrictions then being reimposed (perhaps more than once). We also don't yet know whether this is likely to be an annual seasonal crisis (like the flu), or whether it will follow something akin the SARS-occurrence path, where once it is recognised it is taking off people are isolated and quarantined.

Until a vaccine is available, all bets are off. And there's no guarantee there will be a covid-19 vaccine anytime soon. SARS, which is a coronavirus, still doesn't have a vaccine after almost 20 years. Some common 'colds' are coronaviruses, and we don't have a vaccine for them either, and we've been trying there for a lot longer.

Early resumption is looking increasingly unlikely. I've just been trying to imagine a solution, which of course is entirely dependent on the date the country is declared safe. Here goes......
This season must be completed in the normal way. Assuming a restart in mid July. The remaining nine matches can be played on Saturdays and two Tuesdays. That takes us to the end of August (29th). Playoffs in September.
October/November, usual two month close season to include friendlies. This may be a problem if non-league has started in August.
Regular season starts in December, but with rearranged leagues. League Two, for example, is split North and South, 12 teams in each. This produces a regular season of 22 matches. If the season starts in December, playing Saturdays and one Tuesday each month, the season finishes mid April (plenty of midweek slack for postponed games).
Winner of each half of the league obviously gets automatic promotion
Playoffs (April/May) to involve teams 2-5 in each half-league, to determine the other two promoted teams.
Bottom of each half is relegated.

I haven't included any Cup competition but priority would be FA Cup, maybe midweek, one round per month, no replays.

excessbee wrote:Early resumption is looking increasingly unlikely. I've just been trying to imagine a solution, which of course is entirely dependent on the date the country is declared safe. Here goes......
This season must be completed in the normal way. Assuming a restart in mid July. The remaining nine matches can be played on Saturdays and two Tuesdays. That takes us to the end of August (29th). Playoffs in September.
October/November, usual two month close season to include friendlies. This may be a problem if non-league has started in August.
Regular season starts in December, but with rearranged leagues. League Two, for example, is split North and South, 12 teams in each. This produces a regular season of 22 matches. If the season starts in December, playing Saturdays and one Tuesday each month, the season finishes mid April (plenty of midweek slack for postponed games).
Playoffs (April/May) to involve teams 2-5 in each half-league, to determine the other two promoted teams.

I haven't included any Cup competition but priority would be FA Cup, maybe midweek, one round per month, no replays.

Fifa have said this season has to finish end of June max

Its going to be null and void

UPTHEPORT wrote:
excessbee wrote:Early resumption is looking increasingly unlikely. I've just been trying to imagine a solution, which of course is entirely dependent on the date the country is declared safe. Here goes......

Fifa have said this season has to finish end of June max

Its going to be null and void

No mate, Ceferin didn’t say that, he said it’s got to start by the end of June or the season “will probably be lost’.

I wonder how accurate this part is?

"Individually, clubs are continuing to explore cost-cutting measures, with many already applying for the government job retention scheme.
That would see 80% of players and staff wages being covered up to a maximum of £2,500 per month, but would also leave clubs unable to issue players with training schedules and dietary plans."

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Ado wrote:Finish the season by playing the games behind closed doors. Televise the big games. Simple.
How would social distancing work then

You can't play football
I presume he doesn't mean straight away.

And it's simple to accomplish, at the right time (which isn't now).

The minimum two provisos in all this are virus-free status verification and verification of team isolation for the duration.

If you are verifiably virus free then you cannot pass the virus on, so there is no need to socially distance yourself from teammates or opponents who are also verifiably virus free, and so you can play any team sport, football included.