Re: Season End, what’s your view?

excessbee wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
frostyjohn wrote:Declare the season null and void. No promotion no relegation. Any end to this season will be contrived, and will impact on next season. Next season may then start, albeit later than normally.
I see the logic in that. However if large gatherings are the final part of the lockdown to be lifted I don't see football resuming before Christmas which will mean two seasons being lost.
I had supported the view that this season should be played out to a 'normal' conclusion but I think the time line has now gone too far for that. December/January may be as good as it gets if it is to be the real thing in stadiums with paying spectators. I'll again put forward the idea of North/South splits of twelve teams playing a 22 match season as a one-off solution to finish as usual in May.
I see the logic in your North/South split idea, it just wouldn't interest me at all in terms of attending games. I'm thinking my next live football could be Euro2020 if that goes ahead in 2021 or any international matches with fans played before the competition proper.

Amberexile wrote:I'd like them to drop the stupid idea of holding it in as many Countries as possible and revert to the standard format of all games being in one Country although doing so now would cause huge problems with those who would lose out.
+1. I could swallow the idea of adjacent countries sharing it but not this current fiasco of fans travelling thousands of miles between games.

I see the PL 'Project Restart' is recommending remaining PL games are played at neutral venues. Am I missing the point here? Why get both teams to travel to a game?

The only thing I can think of is it might deter fans from congregating outside the ground in large numbers trying to 'support / watch from a distance'. So, Liverpool play Newcastle at, say, Villa Park behind closed doors. No-one bar the 2 teams, match officials and the league know the venue. How long do they think they can keep these venues quiet before word gets out from an indiscrete coach driver, youth team apprentice etc? At least if they played at Anfield or SJP they know the changing rooms etc have been deep-cleaned, travel for the home team reduced, no overnight stays needed, pitches will be high quality etc. Or are they suggesting that Liverpool's home games are played at somewhere like Tranmere and Newcastle's played at Hartlepool? Again, it won't be long before news spreads.

What am I missing with this proposal? Thanks.

Amberexile wrote:I'd like them to drop the stupid idea of holding it in as many Countries as possible and revert to the standard format of all games being in one Country although doing so now would cause huge problems with those who would lose out.
Agreed. Just hold it in Belarus; the new garden of Eden.

JonD wrote:
+1. I could swallow the idea of adjacent countries sharing it but not this current fiasco of fans travelling thousands of miles between games.
How unfair is it to have that many host nations?! Our game in Rome is ridiculous.