Re: Season End, what’s your view?

Only see 2 options now as games will not be completed either season is null and void and everyone starts a new season where they are when ever that is or end it now and everyone’s place stands as of that point.personally think authorities will choose the option with the least legal challenges.and can’t work out how people think we can have a shortened 20-21 season with only x number of games how the hell do you work out who does or doesn’t play who

phil crump wrote:Only see 2 options now as games will not be completed either season is null and void and everyone starts a new season where they are when ever that is or end it now and everyone’s place stands as of that point.personally think authorities will choose the option with the least legal challenges.and can’t work out how people think we can have a shortened 20-21 season with only x number of games how the hell do you work out who does or doesn’t play who
No need to have a shortened 20-21 season. Finish this season on the same date next year that this seasons finished. March 14 I think it was. No need to rearrange games, we use the same fixtures that the teams have to play now. As I said, don’t think people realise it yet, we are in this for the long term. The fat lady ain’t close to singing yet.

I don’t think it is possible when you consider the bigger picture - deepest recession in an age; working guys furloughed some losing jobs; families struggling to make ends meet and that’s before thinking about what it takes to put on a game behind closed doors you still need a high number of staff to put games on ground staff medics doctor cleaners etc etc the list is endless so add in squads and you are probably talking around a 100 people or more to put a game on. Can we really say diverting doctors and paramedics to behind close door matches from the frontline is acceptable? Similarly a lot of referees and officials have full time jobs. Add to this that each and everyone of those involved to make a closed doors game happen all have families and cd easily pass on the virus is this a risk worth taking? This is basically the Third World War and whilst we all miss our football we have to be thankful for our lives as too many are dying. Football will return but in my view cannot be this season

I do agree this can easily go into next season.

But what I don't see is who is paying the wages of out of contract players past June 30th. If this season restarts March 2021, that'll be 8 months of extension (not working) to their contracts. 382 players are out of contract come July 1st. 382 players x (£1,500 ave week wage x 4) by 8 months = £18,336,000.00 minimum.

That doesn't include whether I have a 2 year contract to run from July 1st 2020, would those 2 years now begin come July 2021, allowing me an additional 8 months 'free money'. 1 player x (£1,500 x 4) by 8 months = £48,000. Times by rest of players/managers etc.

Plus League 1. 191 OOC - Ave week £2250 - £13,752,000.00.
Average wage for 8 months - £72,000

Plus Championship. 164 OOC - Ave week £8000 - £41,984,000.00.
Average wage for 8 months - £256,000

So £74m on players who are out of contract, plus do current contracts get extended? Obviously we could be back sooner and the cost is lower.

I think we all agree there's money in the game somewhere. But will it make it to the right places? If so, we have many options going forward. If not, I understand why clubs are looking to call the season and move on from potentially £74m in lost money.

Papski2 wrote:I do agree this can easily go into next season.

But what I don't see is who is paying the wages of out of contract players past June 30th. If this season restarts March 2021, that'll be 8 months of extension (not working) to their contracts. 382 players are out of contract come July 1st. 382 players x (£1,500 ave week wage x 4) by 8 months = £18,336,000.00 minimum.

That doesn't include whether I have a 2 year contract to run from July 1st 2020, would those 2 years now begin come July 2021, allowing me an additional 8 months 'free money'. 1 player x (£1,500 x 4) by 8 months = £48,000. Times by rest of players/managers etc.

Plus League 1. 191 OOC - Ave week £2250 - £13,752,000.00.
Average wage for 8 months - £72,000

Plus Championship. 164 OOC - Ave week £8000 - £41,984,000.00.
Average wage for 8 months - £256,000

So £74m on players who are out of contract, plus do current contracts get extended? Obviously we could be back sooner and the cost is lower.

I think we all agree there's money in the game somewhere. But will it make it to the right places? If so, we have many options going forward. If not, I understand why clubs are looking to call the season and move on from potentially £74m in lost money.
Sorry but £74 million is absolute peanuts in real terms in football money today. If all football people are really (really) interested in saving the game, then the authorities could get this money together without batting an eyelid. It is a small percentage of most Premier league clubs revenue. We all hear about how the country is pulling together. Football needs to do the same.

Again, just to be clear, this season’s fixtures are finished for this year in this scenario. Start this seasons fixtures again on 14 March 2021. Football, rugby, cricket, all the games we love are not going to get going again for a long, long time. The sooner we realise that, the better, then we can move on.

The only other options I can see at the moment are;
Cancel the season, null and void, or
Start it again before the summer.

Both options not viable or realistic at the moment if you ask me.

pembsexile wrote: Sorry but £74 million is absolute peanuts in real terms in football money today
Agreed that is peanuts in football terms but will it reach the right areas where it will ensure no club, especially ours, will not suffer. If guarantees are made and the money is in place that's a great start.

And that's £74m for out of contract players. If you extend my 1 year contract to 1 year 8 months, and do that for the rest, you can add £169,000,000 to that £74m.

£243 million to pay tiers 2,3 and 4, 8 months wages for no football. This doesn't include the Premier League. I just dont see, i just dont believe, anyone in authority can make it happen.

phil crump wrote:Only see 2 options now as games will not be completed either season is null and void and everyone starts a new season where they are when ever that is or end it now and everyone’s place stands as of that point.
Not so. Work out each team's points per game so far - differentiating between home and away - and add the points to the current table in proportion to the number of home and away games each has left.

Amberexile wrote:English Football League plans to stream all remaining games online

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52317944
More than ever I think the EFL is prioritising its tie-in with Sky over the demands of public health - as soon as any live football is played, Sky will reactivate paused subs. Making out football is some sort of essential service insults people working in fields that really are.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
phil crump wrote:Only see 2 options now as games will not be completed either season is null and void and everyone starts a new season where they are when ever that is or end it now and everyone’s place stands as of that point.
Not so. Work out each team's points per game so far - differentiating between home and away - and add the points to the current table in proportion to the number of home and away games each has left.
Null and void is the least acceptable option. Points per game adjustments is a better one, but I'm still waving a lone flag for finishing this season however long the delay may be and playing a shortened 20/21 season based on a North/South split of each division, a 22 match season.

Edit: I don't advocate finishing this season behind closed doors. That still offers no guarantee of 20/21 commencing normally and thus being able to be completed by April/May. I don't envisage any appetite for starting the following season behind closed doors, as that is surely only an emergency solution for the current season.

Amberexile wrote:English Football League plans to stream all remaining games online

More than ever I think the EFL is prioritising its tie-in with Sky over the demands of public health - as soon as any live football is played, Sky will reactivate paused subs. Making out football is some sort of essential service insults people working in fields that really are.
I agree that the desperate need for Sky TV to get the show on the road will sway the EFL judgement, but hopefully the need for medical personnel at matches will counterbalance that and lead to government overruling any move to behind closed doors football. Don't forget if it goes for football, other sports will want to get started also.

excessbee wrote:

I agree that the desperate need for Sky TV to get the show on the road will sway the EFL judgement, but hopefully the need for medical personnel at matches will counterbalance that and lead to government overruling any move to behind closed doors football. Don't forget if it goes for football, other sports will want to get started also.
Danish club plan football drive-in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52347927