Re: Season End, what’s your view?

It is potentially difficult to see restrictions on mass gatherings lifted for 3 - 6 months maybe until a vaccine is available.
Potentially, the debate will move on from how to deal with this season to how to deal with next season for lower league clubs more reliant on match day income there could be worrying reductions in crowds.
Football and other sports are likely to change for ever.

County ranger wrote: how to deal with next season for lower league clubs more reliant on match day income there could be worrying reductions in crowds. Football and other sports are likely to change for ever.
This is one of the biggest elephants in the room. How safe will people feel in crowds? How much will they be concentrating on the game and how much looking round to see who's coughing? Can you enjoy any sport in these circumstances?

I'll happily renew my ST, but I can envisage not using it until there's a vaccine.

Marky wrote:
excessbee wrote:That's hardly a surprise though. The majority of fans aren't likely to be involved in promotion/relegation issues.
Teams with relegation teams are even more likely to want it declared null and void surely?
Yes, you're right. I shouldn't have put promotion and relegation in the same boat. The furthest you can push the line is to about tenth place (I haven't looked at the tables) to decide who may just about reach the playoffs. Mathematically it would go much further, but realistically not. It's this uncertainty that puts me in the camp of 'finish this season' however late that might be.

My view - we've started this season and got 3/4 of the way through so we must finish it when it's safe to do so, even if that's in 13 months' time.

We can think about next season once the current season is over.

If games are allowed to resume (presumably with all players tested, told to be sensible about distancing in the changing room, showers etc) and played in empty stadiums, then the EFL clubs can sell tickets to watch games on iPlayer, club websites as they do now. Fans charged say £10 per game (season ticket holders free) with optional donations for e-programmes, hot dogs etc.

This way, once it's safe to do so the games get played, the fans can watch if they want. The only stumbling block might be club/player insurance if medics can't attend in the event of player injuries during the game.

DeePee - not sure I agree. I’ve never watched a game online (don’t have S*y Sp*orts or any of that nonsense either), and even in these unprecedented times I wouldn’t start now. Football for me is a live, visceral, communitarian thing - not a TV show. If the authorities decide (as they seem to have done, given today’s news) to force Div 4 clubs to see out the season behind closed doors, that’s their prerogative - but they can’t expect to take all fans with them.

I’d far rather save my money either for a future NCAFC season ticket, or (if possible) to go and watch some socially-distanced non-league instead.

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Football for me is a live, visceral, communitarian thing - not a TV show.
Having watched six or seven games live on i-Follow this season, I'm not sure I'd call it a TV show. It's actually refreshing to watch a whole game via a single camera position rather than about a dozen and it makes you realise how much of the razzmatazz and punditry on Sky is redundant bollocks. I'm not missing televised football in the slightest.