Re: Season End, what’s your view?

Charlieboy wrote:Ok, imagine starting next season and unless you play 46 games (in league 2) nothing that goes on until that last game counts, does that seem fair???
If that is how football wants to operate I think it will lose a lot of support, 50% of any season should be enough to form a full result. It’s not like no one tries from the first game or we have a pacemaker to keep the other teams up to speed, each team has had the same chance, just accept you are where you are, there is no one else to blame!!!!
Life isn't fair and football don't really matter, but if this season is null and voided clubs like us can move on we know where we are and get the new pitch put down

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Charlieboy wrote:Ok, imagine starting next season and unless you play 46 games (in league 2) nothing that goes on until that last game counts, does that seem fair???
If that is how football wants to operate I think it will lose a lot of support, 50% of any season should be enough to form a full result. It’s not like no one tries from the first game or we have a pacemaker to keep the other teams up to speed, each team has had the same chance, just accept you are where you are, there is no one else to blame!!!!
Life isn't fair and football don't really matter, but if this season is null and voided clubs like us can move on we know where we are and get the new pitch put down
I'm alright Jack.
Priority working laying a new pitch. got a feeling its not a priority somehow.

Triangle wrote:Reduce length of game to 35 mins a half and play 4 games a week. This will force teams to use squads and help with the lack of fitness. A bit like March Madness in Basketball NCAA. I find basketball boring but enjoy the crazy tournament. Then we can start 2021 in good order with minimum delay.
You would need to rewite the Laws of the game football is based on 90 minute games

I think, perhaps understandably, there is too much concentration on what to do about the remainder of this season at this point in the coronavirus epidemic.

In reality, I think we should be thinking about whether next season can start on time. And a new season should only be started if it is a normal season and can be done so with people in attendance.

So, can next season start on time in early August? At the moment I'd say it's likely a no. It's just a "feel", but I think October is likely the absolute earliest at the moment.**

So, what do you do if you think you are unlikely to start next season on time?

Well, the first thing it does is release the pressure on completing this season until it can be played in front of crowds.

In this event, in my contingency planning I'd already be considering postponing season 2020/21 and playing the remainder of 2019/20 whenever it becomes possible. The question then becomes one of what to do if this season can be completed by, say, Xmas, and you have maybe 4 to 6 months to fill before the "2020/21 season" can be started in August 2021.

My proposal would be to have a number of regional "competitions" with a couple of premiership sides added to the mix. More local derbies, means likely bigger crowds, and premiership clubs bump that up a bit more. All helpful for the smaller clubs, like us, even if we get wiped out most weeks considering who we'd likely be up against.

A remaining issue then is what to do about contracts and transfers. I'd be in favour of imposing a continuance of the status quo until 8-10 weeks before the start of the next full season for all currently contracted players (barring for disciplinary matters).

**(But ask me again in 6 to 8 weeks, when if a miracle has occurred we can complete this season behind closed doors and start next season on time in front of crowds.)

Yes, I bet the likes of Aston Villa and WHU will be falling over themselves pushing that boat.

My point is, there is no current guarantee that next season will be able to start. So I see little point in debating this season's outcome until next season is guaranteed to start.

I just don't see the need to make a decision about this season for at least the next 12 weeks.

NearlyDead wrote:Yes, I bet the likes of Aston Villa and WHU will be falling over themselves pushing that boat.

My point is, there is no current guarantee that next season will be able to start. So I see little point in debating this season's outcome until next season is guaranteed to start.

I just don't see the need to make a decision about this season for at least the next 12 weeks.

There's a great need to make decisions to pull the plug

Clubs like ourselves have summer plans that need to be carried out such as our pitch i bet loads of other clubs are in same boat

UPTHEPORT wrote:
NearlyDead wrote:Yes, I bet the likes of Aston Villa and WHU will be falling over themselves pushing that boat.

There's a great need to make decisions to pull the plug

Clubs like ourselves have summer plans that need to be carried out such as our pitch i bet loads of other clubs are in same boat
Summer plans.
Blimey this will be going on way past the summer, also 2 points.
Its not our pitch
Relaying a pitch is not a priority and restrictions including outside workers will be far more restrictive than they are now.

NearlyDead wrote:Indeed, relaying the pitch may not be possible during this summer on account of restrictions on association and non-essential travelling.

Also, RP is now a covid-19 testing station isn't it, with restricted(?) access. That may well still be in operation come the summer.

They are using the training area not the stadium it self

NearlyDead wrote:Indeed, relaying the pitch may not be possible during this summer on account of restrictions on association and non-essential travelling.

Also, RP is now a covid-19 testing station isn't it, with restricted(?) access. That may well still be in operation come the summer.
Well construction still going on they have to stay at safe distance