Podcast Feature: Your First / Favourite County Memory!

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User

Jack - Admin

Rank

Administrator

Podcast Feature: Your First / Favourite County Memory!

Postby Jack - Admin » March 26th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Hi messageboarders, hope you're all doing well current circumstances forgiving...

Myself and the usual 1912 Exiles podcast are looking to record soon on the topic of our first County memory and our favourite County memories.

We'd love to share a few stories of others' given the diversity of fan here on the forums. Got some old Somerton Park stories? Harken back to the Spytty wind-tunnel Shed days? Wembley? Weston Super Mare away?

You can PM me or post below if you fancy sharing. Every response will be read and the more the merrier!
no avatar
User

BertieB

Re: Podcast Feature: Your First / Favourite County Memory!

Postby BertieB » March 29th, 2020, 4:27 pm

When Colin Addison was our manager,I was working as a fuel tanker driver for Collingbourne Fuels which were operating out of Lilleshhall Street , Jonathon Collingbourne , the grandson of our owner who was also a keen County Fan like myself and ,a future County Director was about 10 years old. ---Mr Collingbourne his grandfather agreed to sponsor a match at Somerton Park and also to help County during one of their financially tough days. Mr Jack Collingbourne, Jonathon, and myself were invited to join Colin Addison and others in the Directors Box for the game. A hot air balloon was launched from the centre circle and a good game was witnessed by us all I have often looked through County literature ie programmes etc in an effort to locate which game it was. I have heard that it was the first sponsored game at Somerton Park but I dont know, I would be interested to know , if there is anyone who can enlighten me. Come on the Port !!........................Bob Bassett
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Podcast Feature: Your First / Favourite County Memory!

Postby pembsexile » March 29th, 2020, 4:48 pm

My first County memory was watching County play Millwall in approx 64/65. My dad took me over and it was a 2-2 draw with Alex Stepney in goal for Millwall.

I also remember at about the same time one of the first black players in the league - Albert Johannson a winger who played against us for Leeds. He was good if I remember.