Re: BBC website.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:A 30% pay cut would lead to £100-200m less income tax paid into the Treasury so less money to pay the NHS bills right when it's needed..
That's a brilliant smoke screen to protect their over paid members with.

This all came about because clubs have started asking the tax payer to pay the wages of the non playing staff whilst their poncy over paid actors, kept their £70k per week.

Nobody would have batted an eyelid if players of these clubs had decided to pay the non playing staff out of that £70k, but oh no let's throw in "It will be a loss to the NHS of......" if they took a pay cut........... Really? Very clever and to be expected actually.

County-at-the-races wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:A 30% pay cut would lead to £100-200m less income tax paid into the Treasury so less money to pay the NHS bills right when it's needed..
That's a brilliant smoke screen to protect their over paid members with.

This all came about because clubs have started asking the tax payer to pay the wages of the non playing staff whilst their poncy over paid actors, kept their £70k per week.

Nobody would have batted an eyelid if players of these clubs had decided to pay the non playing staff out of that £70k, but oh no let's throw in "It will be a loss to the NHS of......" if they took a pay cut........... Really? Very clever and to be expected actually.

A lot of these ‘over paid actors’ have given money to charity and the NHS already and there’s been a group led by Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson looking to raise millions from their wages for communities and the NHS (on top of the millions they pay in via taxes each year)
Weird that their being singled out yet millionaire actual actors and singers/bands not mentioned.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Of course, the only justification for players to take any sort of pay cut (and it would be a moral argument, not a legally bound one) is that they're paid to play football and train and right now (through no fault of their own) they're doing neither.
Every employee has a right to a safe working environment. Because of Tory policy the UK has lower tax rates and less money to be spent on such things as Personal Protection Equipment for NHS staff.
Over £140 billion annually for the NHS not enough for you Stan? How does that compare to Southern Ireland, and isn’t there an element of pay as you go?
You raise two points.

With respect to your second point. I agree. I wish we had a viable health service here to compare with the NHS.

As for your first point. Clearly any health service by it's nature will never have, can never have, all the monies it could usefully use. But if I were dictator of the UK, I'd tax the rich and corporations more. Not to impoverish them but because it is wrong that the rich pay a lower proportion of their earnings than do those on more modest incomes.

Then I'd cancel Trident, and that £31,000,000,000 I'd use on health and education.

Finally I'd have everyone who disagreed with me shot. (Only joking.)

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lowandhard wrote:I see no reason why footballers and sportspeople should be singled out. They are only one group among the rich and at least they expend some effort for their wages. Perhaps her majesty could flog off a couple of her many estates and homes , that’d contribute a bit and more practical than her waffling on tv that hardly anybody will listen to. How about a maximum allowed hereditary wealth tax ? Anything over say a certain number of million quid gets confiscated to build national infrastructure, nobody exempted including the royal family? After all , after you’ve set yourself up and have your yacht , houses and private jet, what’s there to spend it on?
I do not disagree with any of that.
Bloody hell, a Republican too. :grin:
Guilty. :grin:
Sadly, not too many of us about I fear

Exile 1976 wrote: A lot of these ‘over paid actors’ have given money to charity and the NHS already and there’s been a group led by Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson looking to raise millions from their wages for communities and the NHS (on top of the millions they pay in via taxes each year)
Weird that their being singled out yet millionaire actual actors and singers/bands not mentioned.
I'm not disputing that a lot of them give a lot of time, money and their names to charities and the needy.
What I'm saying is that as an organisation, it is so out of kilter with it's paying followers it's beyond a joke.
This quoting how much the NHS might lose via taxes is nothing to do with that fact, it's a diversionary tactic to protect their members income, and I'm sorry, but whilst nearly all the public are sat at home on reduced income, that lot still think they are worth their 10's of thousands of pounds per week to sit at home playing on their play stations.
As for actors and bands who also rake in their millions, I doubt they are on a contract that continues paying them their normal income to sit at home, as they get paid per film/show/gig

Of course, there's a much easier way to 'hit the rich and wealthy' if we feel we need to raise some extra £ quickly, to help the cause. In fact, 2 easy ways.

Trouble is, both would hit BoJo and his chums equally hard so no chance of a Tory government doing so.

1. Raise taxes and NI for anyone who earns over £120K pa. I chose the amount carefully because it would exclude most doctors and surgeons but include the PM, all PL footballers, most VIPs etc. Raise taxes to, say, 60% in an emergency bill, to be reviewed at the next budget.

2. Make all tax avoidance schemes illegal and subject to criminal sanctions (so, tax evasion rather than avoidance), with HMRC permitted to claw back the 'stolen tax' immediately or enforce this through the courts. At times of need, there is absolutely no excuse for ripping off the state to line one's own pockets. I'd be happy to offer tax breaks for all NHS frontline staff and companies changing their practices to help build ventilators, manufacture PPE etc.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Of course, there's a much easier way to 'hit the rich and wealthy' if we feel we need to raise some extra £ quickly, to help the cause. In fact, 2 easy ways.

Trouble is, both would hit BoJo and his chums equally hard so no chance of a Tory government doing so.

1. Raise taxes and NI for anyone who earns over £120K pa. I chose the amount carefully because it would exclude most doctors and surgeons but include the PM, all PL footballers, most VIPs etc. Raise taxes to, say, 60% in an emergency bill, to be reviewed at the next budget.

2. Make all tax avoidance schemes illegal and subject to criminal sanctions (so, tax evasion rather than avoidance), with HMRC permitted to claw back the 'stolen tax' immediately or enforce this through the courts. At times of need, there is absolutely no excuse for ripping off the state to line one's own pockets. I'd be happy to offer tax breaks for all NHS frontline staff and companies changing their practices to help build ventilators, manufacture PPE etc.
Sounds like a reasonable plan. One thing is for sure taxes of all sorts are raising when all this is over to claw back some if not all that is being spent to keep us at home doing diddly squat. You think things were hard before all this kicked off, you ain't seen anything yet.

County-at-the-races wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote: A lot of these ‘over paid actors’ have given money to charity and the NHS already and there’s been a group led by Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson looking to raise millions from their wages for communities and the NHS (on top of the millions they pay in via taxes each year)
I'm not disputing that a lot of them give a lot of time, money and their names to charities and the needy.
What I'm saying is that as an organisation, it is so out of kilter with it's paying followers it's beyond a joke.
This quoting how much the NHS might lose via taxes is nothing to do with that fact, it's a diversionary tactic to protect their members income, and I'm sorry, but whilst nearly all the public are sat at home on reduced income, that lot still think they are worth their 10's of thousands of pounds per week to sit at home playing on their play stations.
As for actors and bands who also rake in their millions, I doubt they are on a contract that continues paying them their normal income to sit at home, as they get paid per film/show/gig

Instead of having a go at the players perhaps it’s the multi-millionaire/billionaire owners of the clubs that should be held to task. It’s up to them to pay their non-playing staff, not the players.
Yes I’m sure it was a diversionary tactic to protect their members, however I also think Hancock was out of order calling/singling them out publicly.
I’m sure the vast majority of, if not all, Premier League players will give up a portion of their wages to the NHS/community but it shouldn’t simply be expected of them imo.
Bands and many actors don’t have to be working to earn money.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Of course, there's a much easier way to 'hit the rich and wealthy' if we feel we need to raise some extra £ quickly, to help the cause. In fact, 2 easy ways.

I'd vote for you.

I personally don’t think football has helped itself here out of all the sports effected it has seemed the most vocal in what it’s going to lose financially and how worrying how much they might have to pay back to sponsors and broadcasters.nearly every other sport has just cancelled events with not too much drama.sorting the olympics has seemed easier than the premier league and I just think football being targeted the way it has is a lot of their own doing

phil crump wrote:I personally don’t think football has helped itself here out of all the sports effected it has seemed the most vocal in what it’s going to lose financially and how worrying how much they might have to pay back to sponsors and broadcasters.nearly every other sport has just cancelled events with not too much drama.sorting the olympics has seemed easier than the premier league and I just think football being targeted the way it has is a lot of their own doing
Another post with which I agree entirely.

There should be more income tax brackets above £150,000, there are hundreds of billions earnt above that level.