Re: Player of the Year

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
JonD wrote:If my employer ran an employee of the year award and gave it to a bloke who's been on the sick half the time I'd be a bit gutted.
Good point but equally it makes no difference to me. My vote goes to whoever I feel put in the best or most consistent performances when they played, it's hardly their fault if they're injured for part of the season. So, whoever gets the best average score if marks out of ten were awarded. Micky would get my vote.

Supporters of my 'other team' (Oxford) gave the player if the year award to Kemar Roofe a couple of years ago, at the time he was on loan from WBA and only played about 11 games yet still got their vote.
Well, perhaps I'm being a bit unfair on MD seeing as he's played a couple of dozen times.

Taking it to extremes, someone could play 45 minutes, transform the match, break a leg in the 90th minute but nevertheless be awarded player of the season. It feels wrong (to me) to acclaim someone as player of the season unless they appear in a certain number of games.

I remember Frank (Hi Frank. How you doing?) kicking off because someone always voted for Amond as MOM. I understand (and agree with) Frank's gripe but there's nothing to stop people doing it (unless the Argus stops them, I suppose).

By the way, I've got a good mate who is similarly afflicted re: his 'other' team.

JonD wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
JonD wrote:If my employer ran an employee of the year award and gave it to a bloke who's been on the sick half the time I'd be a bit gutted.
Good point but equally it makes no difference to me. My vote goes to whoever I feel put in the best or most consistent performances when they played, it's hardly their fault if they're injured for part of the season. So, whoever gets the best average score if marks out of ten were awarded. Micky would get my vote.

Supporters of my 'other team' (Oxford) gave the player if the year award to Kemar Roofe a couple of years ago, at the time he was on loan from WBA and only played about 11 games yet still got their vote.
Well, perhaps I'm being a bit unfair on MD seeing as he's played a couple of dozen times.

Taking it to extremes, someone could play 45 minutes, transform the match, break a leg in the 90th minute but nevertheless be awarded player of the season. It feels wrong (to me) to acclaim someone as player of the season unless they appear in a certain number of games.

I remember Frank (Hi Frank. How you doing?) kicking off because someone always voted for Amond as MOM. I understand (and agree with) Frank's gripe but there's nothing to stop people doing it (unless the Argus stops them, I suppose).

By the way, I've got a good mate who is similarly afflicted re: his 'other' team.
To be eligible for a league winners medal, a player need to be named on the team sheet in at least 25% of the club's league fixtures in that season, perhaps that would be a good number to use?

So, just a quick assessment of how I'd judge our players over the season so far -

My Top 3 Players of the Season:

1. Micky (consistently above average performances and consistently high effort and important defending).
2. Benno (a couple of important goals, plus all-round versatility, I agree: he plays better alongside MD).
3. Shared jointly - GKs Tom King and Nick Townsend - King was on top form up until he was dropped, hasn't really recovered that form after regaining his place, whereas - for me - Nick hasn't put a foot wrong all season and played an important part in our moderate success in the cups this season.

I really couldn't name any more players who I feel have stood out consistently this year. Special mention to Gorman for some good performances since joining and to Podge (for his goals, as usual) and Jamma (for playing the main forward role well despite little help from teammates). Innis started to come good before his latest dismissal.

Overall, a 5/10 for the playing squad from me, and a 4/10 for the management team (should've done better but admittedly were hampered by a poor pitch, WH being unavailable for a while, plus injuries and form dips to key players).

[quote="By the way, I've got a good mate who is similarly afflicted re: his 'other' team.[/quote]

Being afflicted would mean they support The Scum at the wrong end of the A420.

I see a few similarities between Oxford and Newport. Neither club owns its own ground and are always playing second fiddle to their landlords, with no income from home games except ticket sales. Both clubs rely on getting young players in on loan from clubs further up the pyramid. Both clubs have young managers and very old assistants/consultants and have recently had to fight off speculation about their manager leaving for higher clubs. And, most frustratingly, both clubs have flirted with success, raised supporters' hopes but not quite made it to the next level.

FFs who cares in these terrible times.
Just to stop your whinging.

Podge was running second in the poll that I was running.
He had 78 votes.
Like I said I couldn't care a monkey about any poll currently let alone "player of the year"

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:FFs who cares in these terrible times.

He had 78 votes.
Like I said I couldn't care a monkey about any poll currently let alone "player of the year"
Are you losing the plot you have Scott down as 2nd after josh

And I come on here to get away from whats going on after all I'm on the front line

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:FFs who cares in these terrible times.

He had 78 votes.
Are you losing the plot you have Scott down as 2nd after josh

And I come on here to get away from whats going on after all I'm on the front line
Seriously I have no idea what you are on about.
What's your last sentence got to do with this thread.

Let me explain forget about my MOM, contributors have mentioned Mickey, Scott and Josh.
I am explaining that on the poll I ran those were the votes they all got.
Give it a rest as like I said I couldn't give a monkey about it and certainly am not getting into petty squabbles.

To make you happy the totals when I stopped doing the poll were just the top 5.

Josh 68 points 164 votes
Padraig 60 points 78 votes
Scott 45 points 96 votes
Ryan Haynes 33 points 54 votes
Robbie 32 votes 70 points.

Now if you want to keep on about Padraig or whatever like I said I couldn't care a monkey.
End of.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:If you went by our MOM poll

Josh obtained 164 votes.
Scott 96.
Mickey 32.

To be honest nobody was outstanding throughout the year, even Josh went off the boil.
Sure its the same for most players.
You really have a problem with podge don't you

http://www.weareexiles.net/viewtopic.ph ... 74#p618374

Hes third according to that list
You just don’t get it do you. Well perhaps you do but are being deliberately obtuse. He has absolutely nothing against Padraig, it is you interfering with the original mom poll that he objects to.

Ryan Haynes has been a very good signing. I think he was 3rd choice in the pecking order at Shrewsbury. He could go far next season. His form dipped slightly but so did most of the squad's.
I would go for Josh Sheehan as only 12mths ago he was probably in danger of not being offered a new contract. He dug in at the back end of the season and has mostly played with confidence and creativity this season.