Re: Club furloughs players and staff

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:[. But if you look at the argument you are making, what you are saying is that in order not to be financially embarrassed we have to have a substandard quality of player. If that is correct it becomes a false economy. And by definition we are not in a healthy financial position.
Stan. I think you've missed one point in this argument.....
Clubs the size of us and with similar budgets have TWO choices if we want to survive or even prosper - recruit substandard players as you suggest OR invest in youth. Younger players, either homegrown through our academy or dropping out of PL academies like Danny Rose did are the key to success IMO. They're cheap, keen to impress, easier to mould into our style of play and have a point to prove. Plus the fans prefer watching them to some journeyman.

As you suggest, County have gone in the opposite direction, not helped by the ridiculous and restrictive toe-in with Elite, and recruited quantity rather than quality. Topped up with occasional loans from Brizzle City etc.

Next season, whenever that is, we must recognise our faults and improve. There will be twice as many out of work players after this pandemic and the power players had around getting higher wages will reduce as the club's which survive won't want to gamble in case covid-21, worse flooding etc strikes next year.[/quote]

I've been mildly interested to understand the details of the contract we have with Elite since it was announced by the club. It seems from your comment that you have some knowledge of the content of the agreement. What facts can you tell us about it?

We've been told the club have a binding contract with Elite which ends this summer. Such a contract can only work one or two ways. Either, for some strange reason, the club are obliged to recommend their players are represented by Elite. Or, the club are obliged to sign or offer trials to x number of other players represented by Elite. Who, incidentally, represent our manager.

A good, mutually beneficial relationship between a club and an agent can work well. Sir Alex Ferguson swore by one particular agent when he ran Manure. It was his son mind. But I think the evidence this season proves that, bar a couple of reasonably good signings (Gorman on loan plus Haynes), we've not been successful in our recruitment this year.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:We've been told the club have a binding contract with Elite which ends this summer. Such a contract can only work one or two ways. Either, for some strange reason, the club are obliged to recommend their players are represented by Elite. Or, the club are obliged to sign or offer trials to x number of other players represented by Elite. Who, incidentally, represent our manager.

A good, mutually beneficial relationship between a club and an agent can work well. Sir Alex Ferguson swore by one particular agent when he ran Manure. It was his son mind. But I think the evidence this season proves that, bar a couple of reasonably good signings (Gorman on loan plus Haynes), we've not been successful in our recruitment this year.
Another way I've been told such contracts can work is to avoid the club getting into trouble with regards to tapping up players contracted to other clubs through indirect contact. Of course, I have no knowledge of the contract so have no idea what benefits it has for the club, it certainly doesn't seem to have helped us to recruit above ourselves even if it is cheaper than retaining a member of staff to cover the activities performed by Elite on our behalf.
I'd certainly like a peak at it though.