Re: Club furloughs players and staff

Having read the Argus report it states that County's financial position is far healthier than most lower league clubs.

Does rather kick into touch the idea that having a smaller budget than most of our rivals is an excuse for our drastic collapse in form over the final six months of the suspended/aborted season.

Either could be true but hard to see how both are.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Having read the Argus report it states that County's financial position is far healthier than most lower league clubs.

Does rather kick into touch the idea that having a smaller budget than most of our rivals is an excuse for our drastic collapse in form over the final six months of the suspended/aborted season.

Of course it could mean that we are better managed than many lower league clubs - living within means despite the fact that this results in a limited budget. Splash the cash to get promotion etc is a sure way to go bust - Alan Waddle anyone!

I can only find information for last season 2018/19 but here is a table in order of average weekly player pay also showing the final league position and the difference between the two

Team Avg Weekly Pay Lge Pos Difference
Milton Keynes Dons £2,228 1 3 -2
Bury £1,900 2 2 0
Notts County £1,805 3 23 -20
Swindon Town £1,783 4 13 -9
Mansfield Town £1,747 5 4 +1
Lincoln City £1,746 6 1 +5
Colchester United £1,603 7 8 -1
Northampton Town £1,556 8 15 -7
Oldham Athletic £1,478 9 14 -5
Carlisle United £1,224 10 11 -1
Port Vale £1,213 11 20 -9
Forest Green Rovers £1,212 12 5 +7
Tranmere Rovers £1,208 13 6 +7
Cambridge United £1,150 14 21 -7
Crawley Town £1,078 15 19 -4
Newport County £1,069 16 7 +9
Exeter City £1,060 17 9 +8
Stevenage £1,045 18 10 +8
Yeovil Town £1,019 19 24 -5
Grimsby Town £969 20 17 +3
Cheltenham Town £956 21 16 +5
Crewe Alexandra £950 22 12 +10
Macclesfield Town £756 23 22 +1
Morecambe £750 24 18 +6

Assuming these figures are accurate, it suggests we will be claiming the maximum £2,500 per month per employee for many of our players while furloughed. That would be up to £50,000 per month for a squad of 20 players plus of course whatever we will claim for the other staff we employ and have furloughed outside the playing squad.
It would also leave us needing to find over £40,000 a month if we are to keep the players on full pay by topping up the Furlough payments ourselves.

Notts County, fourth highest budget, relegated - ouch.

EDIT: Oops, third column is ranking in average weekly pay order i.e. the order in which the table is sorted.

County ranger wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Having read the Argus report it states that County's financial position is far healthier than most lower league clubs.

Of course it could mean that we are better managed than many lower league clubs - living within means despite the fact that this results in a limited budget. Splash the cash to get promotion etc is a sure way to go bust - Alan Waddle anyone!
You miss the point. I make no comment as to how County spend or don't spend their cash. My point is that if County are financially healthier than many of their rivals it can't be said that we are under performing because we are at a financial disadvantage.

If that is the case then well done the board for getting us to such a stable position

Stan A. Einstein wrote:You miss the point. I make no comment as to how County spend or don't spend their cash. My point is that if County are financially healthier than many of their rivals it can't be said that we are under performing because we are at a financial disadvantage.
Yes we can for the exact reason he said or you are making comment on how the cash is spent.

I will say that the good faith we are showing our players by topping up the furlough and making them whole, I expect to see them repay that faith upon resumption or when next season begins.

UPTHEPORT wrote:

If that is the case then well done the board for getting us to such a stable position
If you have money, you have a choice. You can spend it or you can save it. Both options come with plusses and minuses. And you then argue what option and to what degree you take.

My point is that you can't choose to save and claim that you don't have the money to compete. You can make a logical argument that you save for a rainy day, you can make a logical argument that you should eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Our financial situation is only marginally better than other clubs because (a) we don't own our own ground and (b) we won't have to contribute towards replacing the pitch for a while.

If one looked at the accounts in detail e.g. fixed assets and value of things we own, this would be miserably lower than even most NL teams, albeit some will have loans, mortgages and standing charges against those assets.