Attendance.

A conundrum. And something I genuinely have no idea as to why it should be so.

I started supporting County in the mid 1960's. Back then we were total rubbish. Reelection fodder year in, year out. And I frequently stood in crowds of less than 2,000. But go on a run or have the occasional good season and crowds would increase dramatically. See 1972/73, 179/80/81/2 etc.

For whatever reason, even in our latest barren run crowds don't seem to dip below 3,000, which is encouraging. However even when we are challenging, or for League fixtures on Boxing day, crowds don't get to much more, which is disappointing.

Why this is, and what to do to attract more people to watch County, is something I would be, as usual, interested to hear the views of others.

Re: Attendance.

Unfortunately, large amounts of South Wales support the big boys of the Premier League. It means home town clubs don't get a look in.

You generally see attendances increase with a successful promotion, promotion run or cup run but then drop off again when things go south.

I'm not sure how you'd get around it but the lack of national media coverage is a major barrier to that. Even if you just look at Wales, the national media pretty much cover Cardiff and Swansea.

Based on that, any attempts to increase following/support would have to be done locally or at club level. Potentially by looking at the matchday experience, prices and that lot.

According to Transfermarkt, we have the 14th best average attendence in the league this season. The majority of the teams above us (attendance wise) have vastly superior stadium capacities too, so I guess we're not doing too badly at all.

Still, according to the figures on Transfermarkt, we have (on average) 3,983 empty seats.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:A conundrum. And something I genuinely have no idea as to why it should be so.

I started supporting County in the mid 1960's. Back then we were total rubbish. Reelection fodder year in, year out. And I frequently stood in crowds of less than 2,000. But go on a run or have the occasional good season and crowds would increase dramatically. See 1972/73, 179/80/81/2 etc.

For whatever reason, even in our latest barren run crowds don't seem to dip below 3,000, which is encouraging. However even when we are challenging, or for League fixtures on Boxing day, crowds don't get to much more, which is disappointing.

Why this is, and what to do to attract more people to watch County, is something I would be, as usual, interested to hear the views of others.
Bloody hell, no, not the Brian Harris argument again!

Actually I think Glyn below has a point. Get the Media mafia on board. Sell the club to the huge population in South Wales. Stuff the two other big clubs. They can look after themselves. Get them to see us as not a ‘plucky little club’, but as a viable popular local club in our own right. Cmon the County.

Absolutely this.

Marketing is everything and if we're barely mentioned, we don't stand a chance.
pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:A conundrum. And something I genuinely have no idea as to why it should be so.

Bloody hell, no, not the Brian Harris argument again!

Actually I think Glyn below has a point. Get the Media mafia on board. Sell the club to the huge population in South Wales. Stuff the two other big clubs. They can look after themselves. Get them to see us as not a ‘plucky little club’, but as a viable popular local club in our own right. Cmon the County.

I still think that under 16s should be given free leahue game season tickets (with a paying appropriate adult) and those between 16-18 should also be given free tickets. All need to apply at the beginning of the season. There is plenty of activities that the club do off the pitch on match days to encourage support but perhaps they need to ask what is wanted?

Willthiswork wrote:I still think that under 16s should be given free leahue game season tickets (with a paying appropriate adult) and those between 16-18 should also be given free tickets. All need to apply at the beginning of the season. There is plenty of activities that the club do off the pitch on match days to encourage support but perhaps they need to ask what is wanted?
I agree with that.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:I still think that under 16s should be given free leahue game season tickets (with a paying appropriate adult) and those between 16-18 should also be given free tickets. All need to apply at the beginning of the season. There is plenty of activities that the club do off the pitch on match days to encourage support but perhaps they need to ask what is wanted?
I agree with that.

Me too

I started watching the County in 1962/63. Amazingly the attendance for the first home game was nearly 10500 but by December the crowd had dropped to below 3000. Much more consistent support these days, although as you say it's disappointing that the attendance doesn't go up much when we are on a good run.

I am not sure if you mean press media but if so I am not sure that would make much difference - papers don’t sell and we do seem to get coverage on the BBC News web site in the S East Wales section.
What I think is needed is more social media / bus advertising (rear) and physical advertising. If I were not a fan I would know when we were home from anything I come into contact with around Newport - I really do think greater awareness would sustain and improve gates.
Free kids with adult paying is great idea but has implementation issues around seat availability could do it in standing areas I guess. North Terrace - kids terrace?