No wonder football is going to the dogs.....

Interesting article in today's Daily Mail on wages in the Championship, League 1 & 2. All based on a confidential annual survey the clubs complete and circulate amongst themselves so they know the 'going rate' when signing new players and staff. All anonymous so no-one knows the clubs or players involved -

Championship - top paid player in the league plays at a "southern club" and is on £68k pw or £3.54m pa. The average of all top wages in the division is £29k pw. Average manager's salary is £878k pa.

League 1 managers get £182k pa on average and the average top player's wage is £4753pw.

Into League 2 where managers earn a more realistic £79k pa and their assistants earn £42k pa (although I think that may be a misprint). Average top wage for players across all clubs is £2191pw. The highest earning player in League 2 gets £4500pw (my guess is he either plays midfield for Plymouth or is a Swinetown striker heading the goalscoring charts). Club secretaries are on £30k pa, which probably explains why none of ours stays too long. I know the Plymouth club sec (used to work with him) and I'd be very surprised if he's on as little as £30k pa. I'd imagine one of our longest serving players is on around £2k pw, with a good handful of other players earning 50-75% of this, but equally a fair few earning much less.

Some players earn as little as £7800 a year which is £150pw. I think I read somewhere else that Morecambe have got about five players only on £175pw. I'm guessing £150pw in League 2 gets you a first-year pro.

Interesting stuff if you like that sort of thing.

Re: No wonder football is going to the dogs.....

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Interesting,the average L2 manager is on £79k a year.We are an average L2 club yet our manager is on much much more,about £50k more.
How is Flynn furloughed then on max 2.5k a month
If he is, then I guess one of two things has happened;

1) He has been forced into taking a paycut temporarily, or
2) The club could be topping up his wage, but the first £30,000 is taken care of

rncfc wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Interesting,the average L2 manager is on £79k a year.We are an average L2 club yet our manager is on much much more,about £50k more.

2) The club could be topping up his wage, but the first £30,000 is taken care of

Or a third option is he isn't on as much as people are quoting on the Internet

UPTHEPORT wrote:
rncfc wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Yep, or that! Either way it's complete speculation.

allontheamber wrote:
I'm in no position to dispute that but I'm interested in understanding how you know the details of an employee's salary. Maybe you could let us know details of his bonus structure.
If you remember,our friend in Ireland had chats with our former Academy boss and a figure of £110k+ was quoted.This was before the last pay rise and contract extention,say a 10% rise on top of that.Our Academy man could have got it wrong or a barrister could have made it up,I have no reason to doubt either unless someone can prove otherwise.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
I assume the first £2500 is covered then the club pay the rest,I think the PFA would have something to say if the club didn't pay anything.In effect the government are guaranteeing 25% of his wages.

Either way, I'm surprised the Lge2 managers' average is as high as £79K. Compared to other professions, this is almost what a GP earns, close to what an MP gets and roughly what a deputy headteacher at a reasonably sized school takes home.

A few years ago (maybe 7-8yrs ago) I knew for a fact that most Div 4 managers earned about £45k pa aside from the bigger clubs. So, like players wages have seemingly spiralled since the TV money ruined the game it seems managers have also seen hefty wage rises.

Putting that to one side, if £79k is the average Lge2 manager's wage then looking at the size and income of County, I'd expect that MF would come in a little lower than this average.

Common-sense says that we're a bottom half club in terms of assets, income and recent league standing so I'd expect players' and staff wages to reflect this.

But I'd fully support any additional performance-related bonuses in top of this that he might get, and feel he fully deserves them historically. Bonuses for preventing relegation, getting to the play-off final and for cup success are totally deserved. More mediocre performances such as we've seen this season should probably attract lower/no bonuses.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
rncfc wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Dream on of course he is paid well over the average even before the Lincoln debacle.