Re: No wonder football is going to the dogs.....

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Either way, I'm surprised the Lge2 managers' average is as high as £79K. Compared to other professions, this is almost what a GP earns, close to what an MP gets and roughly what a deputy headteacher at a reasonably sized school takes home.

A few years ago (maybe 7-8yrs ago) I knew for a fact that most Div 4 managers earned about £45k pa aside from the bigger clubs. So, like players wages have seemingly spiralled since the TV money ruined the game it seems managers have also seen hefty wage rises.

Putting that to one side, if £79k is the average Lge2 manager's wage then looking at the size and income of County, I'd expect that MF would come in a little lower than this average.

Common-sense says that we're a bottom half club in terms of assets, income and recent league standing so I'd expect players' and staff wages to reflect this.

But I'd fully support any additional performance-related bonuses in top of this that he might get, and feel he fully deserves them historically. Bonuses for preventing relegation, getting to the play-off final and for cup success are totally deserved. More mediocre performances such as we've seen this season should probably attract lower/no bonuses.
Very good post,unfortunately,the board allowed their hearts to rule their heads regarding Flynny's wages,like some fans on here.If he was on more modest realistic wages then,the club could have another top player on the wage bill or,a couple of squad players.Another option could have been to give Jeffries and Woodiwiss young pro contracts.

[quote=.[/quote]
Very good post,unfortunately,the board allowed their hearts to rule their heads regarding Flynny's wages,like some fans on here.If he was on more modest realistic wages then,the club could have another top player on the wage bill or,a couple of squad players.Another option could have been to give Jeffries and Woodiwiss young pro contracts.[/quote]

I'm not sure I believe the suggested wage being quoted on here for MF. He's a relatively inexperienced young manager and was previously on c£10k pa as our academy manager, following a steady lower-league career. He's number 1 at a small Lge2 club. I expect he's earned good money based on performance bonuses but absolutely no fans-owned club would sanction top dollar in terms of basic wage for someone with that CV. More than the £79k pa average when proven experienced managers like Coleman and Tisdale would arguably attract higher than average money?

I know he and Mrs F bought into a couple of Newport pubs in recent years, at a guess possibly paid for with his lump sum upon retiring as a player.

Bonuses are prevalent throughout football - extra wonga for cup runs, league positions, selling players at a profit and these are all deserved following hard work done. I can't see much justification for any bonuses this season. Probably wage cuts in the current climate, you only have to look at how Luton sacked their management team knowing results have been below par and future income post covid-19 is hanging in the balance.

Of course, a good look through the next annual accounts will reveal a lot.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
.[/quote wrote: Very good post,unfortunately,the board allowed their hearts to rule their heads regarding Flynny's wages,like some fans on here.If he was on more modest realistic wages then,the club could have another top player on the wage bill or,a couple of squad players.Another option could have been to give Jeffries and Woodiwiss young pro contracts.
I'm not sure I believe the suggested wage being quoted on here for MF. He's a relatively inexperienced young manager and was previously on c£10k pa as our academy manager, following a steady lower-league career. He's number 1 at a small Lge2 club. I expect he's earned good money based on performance bonuses but absolutely no fans-owned club would sanction top dollar in terms of basic wage for someone with that CV. More than the £79k pa average when proven experienced managers like Coleman and Tisdale would arguably attract higher than average money?

I know he and Mrs F bought into a couple of Newport pubs in recent years, at a guess possibly paid for with his lump sum upon retiring as a player.

Bonuses are prevalent throughout football - extra wonga for cup runs, league positions, selling players at a profit and these are all deserved following hard work done. I can't see much justification for any bonuses this season. Probably wage cuts in the current climate, you only have to look at how Luton sacked their management team knowing results have been below par and future income post covid-19 is hanging in the balance.

Of course, a good look through the next annual accounts will reveal a lot.
Good morning Dee,you have written sensible and logical remarks however,one person close to MF gave facts to our friend in Ireland which suggest the board have acted illogically regarding his wages.Unless we hear differently,I have no reason to doubt the figures stated,even if it sounds crazy.As for the AGM,figures get merged in other expenses so may be hard to distinguish.

Ok guys, I respect what you say but would offer one further thought. Why would any board member with at least adequate business acumen, some knowledge of football management and a little intelligence sanction an above average salary for a relatively new, untested young manager in his first ever position? It wouldn't make any sense.

I think it's more likely the salary is the league average or lower, but with performance-related bonuses built in, which might explain the higher figure allegedly quoted to Stan the Man.

Re the £10k pa salary for our academy manager - I believe this to be accurate although it may have increased for the last 2 academy head appointments. It is largely a part-time role in a club our size.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Ok guys, I respect what you say but would offer one further thought. Why would any board member with at least adequate business acumen, some knowledge of football management and a little intelligence sanction an above average salary for a relatively new, untested young manager in his first ever position? It wouldn't make any sense.

I think it's more likely the salary is the league average or lower, but with performance-related bonuses built in, which might explain the higher figure allegedly quoted to Stan the Man.

Re the £10k pa salary for our academy manager - I believe this to be accurate although it may have increased for the last 2 academy head appointments. It is largely a part-time role in a club our size.
Few points.
None of our board would have much knowledge if any about Football management before getting voted on.
Its not the wage he started on but what he is paid now.
Enough people in the know have said the approximate salary he is on.
First time I have heard out Academy manager is only part time.
With such a huge Academy set up I very much doubt that is fact let alone £10k per annum.
You couldn't hire the cleaner for that.