County Memories 1980-1992

Continuing the "Classic County" series the first of a four episodes will be streamed live tonight on the Club's Youtube channel at 6pm.

Each part will be about an hour long and contain snippets of various matches and interviews taken from broadcast reports at the time. They will chart the demise of the old Club and the formation of Newport AFC, playing again at Somerton Park, the battles with the Wesh F.A.during exile and then back to playing at Spytty Park.

Tonight's episode starts with the ECWC match against Crusaders and ends with the 4-0 home win against Wrexham in our 1982/83 "near-promotion" season.Hopefully these will bring back a few memories for our older supporters!

Link:

As these clips are now 35-40 years old (!) and have been transferred to various formats over the years the quality is not the best at times but still "watchable".

Glyn.

Re: County Memories 1980-1992

A fabulous watch that. A complete contrast of emotions for me. Our greatest ever team and a reminder of how good some of those players were. If we had that team now, we would walk this division. Watching ‘the’ game is still very painful. How on earth does football do this to you after nearly 40 years. If only, if only.

Must admit though, I don’t remember the penalty event in the Wrexham game. There is a good quiz question there. Which goalkeeper saved a penalty then got immediately sent off. Eddie Neidzviki. Marvellous. Thanks Glyn.

Re: County Memories 1980-1992

County Exile wrote:How did he manage that? I thought he joined us in December 1980, several months after we had won the Welsh Cup.
County were already in the Welsh cup final, While Swansea played Shrewsbury in the other semi final.
That tie went to penalties and Waddle missed the crucial one for Swansea.
Because Shrewsbury are an English club and could not represent Wales in Europe, County had qualified regards if they won the final or not.