When footy resumes

What happens when the time comes?
It's all very well going on about social distancing but with players gobbing and blowing bogies on the pitch should FIFA insist on hankies and spitoons suitably available? Goodness knows how many goalscorers have slid with both knees in all manner of bodily excretions whilst celebrating :shock:

Re: When footy resumes

Well firstly we won't necessarily need our own stadium. Theoretically we could play on any reasonable standard pitch (Cwmbran Town etc) as fans won't be there.

Then clubs will encourage fans to join streaming sites for, say, a tenner a game and watch the game online. It'll be interesting to see how this affects our 'attendance figures' - while not everyone can or will want to watch online, other exiled fans, the elderly and those working shifts could watch when they might not otherwise give up their afternoon/day getting to RP.

It looks like EFL clubs have agreed to a type of salary cap which will help clubs like County and maybe we won't feel compelled to offer 2yr deals to untried players just to get them to sign.

Some backroom staff and coaching roles may be reduced, seeing as 'scouting' and watching the opposition can be done any time online.

The best potential outcome might be that agents disappear from the game, except perhaps at the very top level. Players needing a new club will know roughly what the wages on offer elsewhere are and clubs will compile their own databases of online games played by these players.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Well firstly we won't necessarily need our own stadium. Theoretically we could play on any reasonable standard pitch (Cwmbran Town etc) as fans won't be there.

Then clubs will encourage fans to join streaming sites for, say, a tenner a game and watch the game online. It'll be interesting to see how this affects our 'attendance figures' - while not everyone can or will want to watch online, other exiled fans, the elderly and those working shifts could watch when they might not otherwise give up their afternoon/day getting to RP.

It looks like EFL clubs have agreed to a type of salary cap which will help clubs like County and maybe we won't feel compelled to offer 2yr deals to untried players just to get them to sign.

Some backroom staff and coaching roles may be reduced, seeing as 'scouting' and watching the opposition can be done any time online.

The best potential outcome might be that agents disappear from the game, except perhaps at the very top level. Players needing a new club will know roughly what the wages on offer elsewhere are and clubs will compile their own databases of online games played by these players.
I hope you are right about agents. That can be done anyway. It's not as if there is any shortage of players. Advertise the job and the salary. Put in a performance bonus scheme and you're away.

It's what I would do. When I suggested it years ago many said it wouldn't work.

:grin: Nobody said why.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Plenty of people said why. The point is that, pardon the pun, if football resumes temporarily it will be with the goalposts moved since March and by the time it resumes properly they will have moved again.

I envisage the EFL will have to drop its opposition to artificial pitches, for example.
Virtually every job in the world the employer offers a wage and the employee chooses to accept it or not.

Why football is different is a mystery to me and nobody told me on this board why it had to be so.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Plenty of people said why. The point is that, pardon the pun, if football resumes temporarily it will be with the goalposts moved since March and by the time it resumes properly they will have moved again.

I envisage the EFL will have to drop its opposition to artificial pitches, for example.
Virtually every job in the world the employer offers a wage and the employee chooses to accept it or not.

Why football is different is a mystery to me and nobody told me on this board why it had to be so.

Yes an employer offers a wage but, in my experience, quite a few will negotiate.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Yes an employer offers a wage but, in my experience, quite a few will negotiate.
Absolutely.

But the discussion is about agents.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Absolutely.

But the discussion is about agents.

I know, but every player should be able to be represented should they choose to, as they do now.
Clubs don’t have to deal with players with agents, or pay their agents the way some clubs don’t pay any now. We’ve always had that choice.

Players can choose to be represented by any person that they like. That is their choice and quite rightly so.

The only reason that agents are in the game is that because the game is awash with money. They attempt to get their players a bigger slice of the pie. Are there agents for normal jobs? Do they represent steelworkers, car workers, postmen, and office workers? Of course not. There is no money to be made for them there.

They contribute nothing at all to the game. They are parasites. Nothing more, nothing less.

pembsexile wrote:Players can choose to be represented by any person that they like. That is their choice and quite rightly so.

The only reason that agents are in the game is that because the game is awash with money. They attempt to get their players a bigger slice of the pie. Are there agents for normal jobs? Do they represent steelworkers, car workers, postmen, and office workers? Of course not. There is no money to be made for them there.

They contribute nothing at all to the game. They are parasites. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yep, actors, singers etc all have agents too...They pop up where the real money is to be made.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Virtually every job in the world the employer offers a wage and the employee chooses to accept it or not.
The issue isn't and wasn't the one you paint it as but whether clubs should state publicly how much they are paying individual players, given how essential changing-room morale is.

Exile 1976 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Players can choose to be represented by any person that they like. That is their choice and quite rightly so.

Yep, actors, singers etc all have agents too...They pop up where the real money is to be made.
Anyone who has used a recruitment agency to change jobs has effectively used the services of an agent. That must be most of us.

Exile 1976 wrote:

Yes, some agents are wonderful people and some of us wouldn't be in the fortunate position we are without them but like every walk of life, there are some absolute $*@%£'s as well.

Gareth Bale seems to have found someone who is excellent entertainment in his own right.

Bottom line is young men (and I guess women these days) agreeing their contracts deserve the representation they choose and nobody should seek to deny them that. Few if any have come up with a better alternative.