Re: Season Over?

Perhaps the ruling on the Macclesfield situation was just to tie up a loose end before announcing an end to the season. Oldham's complaint that Stevenage had claimed three overseas players were unavailable when it was actually two was also considered and rejected.

I think that the football authorities may have, no pun intended, taken their eye off the ball. I really don't see large sporting events taking place before there is a vaccine. I have thought, and continue to think that if this season is concluded now, we will in effect lose two seasons. If we conclude this season next year we have a reasonable chance of only losing one.

Finishing this season is surely only a means to an end, that end being to satisfy the backers of the Premier League. Behind closed doors won't be satisfactory for the fans and certainly not worth pursuing in the EFL. The time taken to return it to being a proper spectator sport may rule out all of 2020, which in effect kills off next season unless there is someway of having a temporary revamped and shortened season.

excessbee wrote:Finishing this season is surely only a means to an end, that end being to satisfy the backers of the Premier League. Behind closed doors won't be satisfactory for the fans and certainly not worth pursuing in the EFL. The time taken to return it to being a proper spectator sport may rule out all of 2020, which in effect kills off next season unless there is someway of having a temporary revamped and shortened season.
I agree with your analysis. My solution is to complete this season next year. That way you only lose one season.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Surely PPG should be weighted home and away?
As that is such a straightforward adjustment to apply, it would seem to be a sensible idea.

Edit: Just wondering how it would apply with Macclesfield's points deductions. The PPG calculation(s) would be applied using points gained in matches, how do you apportion the deducted points especially for failure to pay wages, that's neither a home or away penalty.

Need to look at the figures.

Edit 2: Whichever way you apply the deduction, there is no way out for Stevenage.

excessbee wrote:
As that is such a straightforward adjustment to apply, it would seem to be a sensible idea.

Edit: Just wondering how it would apply with Macclesfield's points deductions. The PPG calculation(s) would be applied using points gained in matches, how do you apportion the deducted points especially for failure to pay wages, that's neither a home or away penalty.

Need to look at the figures.

Edit 2: Whichever way you apply the deduction, there is no way out for Stevenage.
Which is perfectly fair because the idea that a club which seems dead and buried with twelve games to go could suddenly go on a run and avoid relegation is just too ridiculous for words.

Oh hang on............

I'm sure that's right. Arising out of that though is for a League to be truly fair you would have to ensure that no team had the advantage of having played more of the lower placed teams in that division.

The only fair way is for all teams to have played each other twice. Even that is not perfect if it happens over a two year period. If you are Stevenage you want the season voided, if you are Leeds that's really going to p!ss you off.

Sometimes there are problems which don't have solutions.