Re: Released players

Salford released two keepers, and both were (in lower league terms) household names. Money to burn...

Of the L2 players listed I always had a soft spot for Kristian Pearce, though no doubt Flynnie has already lined up nine new defenders to join us ;)

rambo wrote:Dale Gorman has been released by Orient. Doesn't he have an option to move to us permanently after his loan expires?
Depends on our budget going forward and whether we'd need to pay any relocation expenses as a signing-on fee or built into wages, but I think Dale did himself no harm with some strong performances when on loan with us, plus one exceptional goal. I think he can be the hard-working enforcer in the midfield which we've missed when Benno drops into defence.

But as with most other clubs at our level, I'd expect us to release out of contract players quickly but not sign any new players until at least August (when it'll be clearer what our 20-21 income is based in ST sales, fans signing up for live streamed games, sponsors recommitting funds etc).

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
rambo wrote:Dale Gorman has been released by Orient. Doesn't he have an option to move to us permanently after his loan expires?
Depends on our budget going forward and whether we'd need to pay any relocation expenses as a signing-on fee or built into wages, but I think Dale did himself no harm with some strong performances when on loan with us, plus one exceptional goal. I think he can be the hard-working enforcer in the midfield which we've missed when Benno drops into defence.

But as with most other clubs at our level, I'd expect us to release out of contract players quickly but not sign any new players until at least August (when it'll be clearer what our 20-21 income is based in ST sales, fans signing up for live streamed games, sponsors recommitting funds etc).
If there is one good thing coming out of this awful time which is specifically football related it is this. The pendulum of power within the game might start swinging back to the fans and the clubs and away from the players and their agents. Whilst it is true that pre the maximum wage footballers were exploited, and I wouldn't want to go back to that, neither do I wish to see people on modest incomes paying a fortune to watch highly paid but extremely limited footballers.

countymadbel wrote:When are we releasing our players
There are only 4 senior players out of contract,Bennett will surely be offered new terms.Jamma has been misused but should be staying,Townsend,if he an get fit again.Only Poleon to get released with Touray and possibly Foulston not retained.

Percy plunkett wrote:
countymadbel wrote:When are we releasing our players
There are only 4 senior players out of contract,Bennett will surely be offered new terms.Jamma has been misused but should be staying,Townsend,if he an get fit again.Only Poleon to get released with Touray and possibly Foulston not retained.
Just my view.

Looking at the players being released by other clubs it may be that those with charge of our rivals take the view that income streams this autumn are likely to be in short supply. That our willingness to offer such long contracts a year ago might therefore come back to bite us on the backside.

I say this as an observation not a criticism. Whilst many on here argued that two year contracts were a mistake, nobody to the best of my knowledge argued that they were a bad idea because there might be a pandemic which would end spectator involvement for a great deal of time. It therefore follows to blame the board or anyone else, would be wrong. Not one of us foresaw this.