Re: I say chaps,, footy back on the BBC

Australian rugby league, which I follow religiously, restarted yesterday behind closed doors. They were two rounds into the new season when it was halted.

The TV people have mixed in generic crowd noise to make it seems more normal, which works well. A roar goes up for video ref decisions! Not sure it would work here as there's not much organised singing and chanting in NRL crowds, but if the Premier League does restart they should try it.

They are doing cardboard cutouts for the "crowd", 22 dollars apparently. At this morning's game there was one of Dominic Cummings.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
mad norm wrote:I might be tempted to watch, despite my indifference to Gary Lineker et Al. Another reason no "Bet in play nah" and adverts telling us how easy it is to lose money

There's also advertising for sanitary products but im not tempted

Get off your high horse!
To be fair, I've never known anyone become addicted to tampons.

Quite looking forward to it, in truth. I didn't think I'd be able to watch a First Division game on proper telly again in my lifetime, so it'll be nice to see the top clubs play 90 minutes against each other. It'll be an acceptable short-term fix until we're able to go and watch some sort of live football again - even if it's just the Dog & Duck against the Red Lion down the recreation ground!

UPTHEPORT wrote:
mad norm wrote:I might be tempted to watch, despite my indifference to Gary Lineker et Al. Another reason no "Bet in play nah" and adverts telling us how easy it is to lose money

Get off your high horse!
Good Afternoon

If you were sent a free one Jim, would you try it then?

Phil on a losing horse.

rncfc wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Get off your high horse!
To be fair, I've never known anyone become addicted to tampons.

Prince Charles.

Anyone else remember?

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Amberexile wrote:I do like the idea of cardboard cut outs.

It would be a great way for fans sadly departed to be able to "attend" a game.
Perhaps we could put one of Norm up at least he'll get to a game
Cheap shot. I most certainly do not agree with all the comments on here that Norm espouses. I do find his ‘whimsical’ comments sometimes galling particularly when a serious matter is being discussed.

However, he has explained on here many times why he cannot attend as many games as he would like. I respect his explanation. For someone who has a connection to the County that developed from when he was in Art College many years ago, his allegiance to the County is heartwarming. Good on him. Long may it last.

Perhaps ‘Mr Goody two shoes’ you should get off your own high horse. Somehow I doubt you will.

pembsexile wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Amberexile wrote:I do like the idea of cardboard cut outs.

It would be a great way for fans sadly departed to be able to "attend" a game.
Perhaps we could put one of Norm up at least he'll get to a game
Cheap shot. I most certainly do not agree with all the comments on here that Norm espouses. I do find his ‘whimsical’ comments sometimes galling particularly when a serious matter is being discussed.

However, he has explained on here many times why he cannot attend as many games as he would like. I respect his explanation. For someone who has a connection to the County that developed from when he was in Art College many years ago, his allegiance to the County is heartwarming. Good on him. Long may it last.

Perhaps ‘Mr Goody two shoes’ you should get off your own high horse. Somehow I doubt you will.
Ditto

Plus all this betting temptations on TV currently is a total disgrace.

Rhys with an H wrote:No advertising allowed on the BBC. Whether it's Camilla's Tampax or gambling........... Just saying like.
An old joke I recall.

BBC schedule.

7-30. Embassy World snooker.

8-30. Littlewoods Cup final Highlights.

10-30 Gillette Cup Cricket.

11-30 Late Night Line up. A discussion as to why advertising will never be allowed on the BBC.

Glad you have a long memory too. :grin:

It appears that the police are worried that large crowds may gather outside stadiums holding popular matches behind closed doors. Also the health authorities think that people will gather together in houses with match tv reception if broadcasts are limited o satellite channels.Giving games to the BBC is one way of achieving the widest access to matches and encouraging fans to stay at home.

Apparently the background sound in the Australian RL commentaries comes via a mixing desk with 57 buttons. I've watched seven of the weekend's eight games so far and it really does work, against all expectations.

Someone submitted a photo for a cardboard cutout of King Jong-un, but it was knocked back. I would have sat him next to Cummings so they could exchange tips on manipulating the public.