Re: NEWPORT COUNTY AFC CLUB CAPTAIN MARK O’BRIEN RETIRES

He had heart problems when he was at Derby and he/we thought it had been resolved with surgery.Gutted for him that it has come back and gutted for us to lose his services.At my age,I shouldn’t have favourite players but OB is mine.His no nonsense defending,his bravery putting his body on the line for the team.Putting his head where it could get hurt,taking a booking for the team and of course,that goal.I have a framed photo of it in my dining room with Jolley’s.I have sponsored his shirt for the last two years,not sure who can take his place,he will take some replacing.

Gutted to hear this news and hope the surgery is a success.

OB will always be a county legend who definitely has amber in his blood. I'll never forget that goal which was the platform for the last couple of seasons.

Great servant and a really nice bloke. I wish him all the best for the future and he will always have a place in county family/amber army history and will always receive a warm welcome from us.

A massive loss for our club. But Mark's long term health is far more important. Agree entirely with GSB his goal v Notts County was undoubtedly the most important goal in the history of Newport County. Great though the escape of 1978 was, we only needed a draw in the last game, and we would have been re-elected ahead of Workington in any event.

I hope that his health is restored and I'm sure he leaves with the best wishes of us all.