Re: New Shirt Sponsor!

County ranger wrote:So the owners are asked to contribute and it is met with criticism. People can’t have it both ways.
With no crowds forecast until January, limited tv exposure sponsorship of a L2 shirt will have very limited or even no commercial pay back. Coupled with many many businesses cutting discretionary spending the product offered has no real value for the coming season.
At least a bit of imagination is being shown, if we say that core home support was 3,000 last year, that is less that the cost of one game each £13.33. That is before expats/ non regular supporters etc.
My only criticism would be over funding should all go to the club - I would be paying to support the club not the charities.
I think the more pertinent issue is the fact that the club has gone cap in hand to the supporters again WITHOUT consultation and with no genuine reason as to why this has been put out there instead of trying to secure some sort of sponsorship from a commercial entity. I dont think anyone believes that there is no company on the planet that may want to sponsor the club. If that was the case there'd be no club in L2 with a sponsor!

County ranger wrote:So the owners are asked to contribute and it is met with criticism.
Personally I fully expected to have to dip my hands into my pockets during this crisis. I think it's just wrong cap in wrong hand from the club.

We should be looking to boost trust membership with a high transparency, high engagement model to cover this seasons shortfall and to flourish in the future.

I'd have like to have seen the trust on the front of the shirt and in turn fundraise for the charities through other avenues. Engage with the new members and keep their fees coming in year on year. Not just cap in hand with no engagement or explanation.

bignbeefy wrote:
County ranger wrote:So the owners are asked to contribute and it is met with criticism. People can’t have it both ways.
With no crowds forecast until January, limited tv exposure sponsorship of a L2 shirt will have very limited or even no commercial pay back. Coupled with many many businesses cutting discretionary spending the product offered has no real value for the coming season.
At least a bit of imagination is being shown, if we say that core home support was 3,000 last year, that is less that the cost of one game each £13.33. That is before expats/ non regular supporters etc.
My only criticism would be over funding should all go to the club - I would be paying to support the club not the charities.
I think the more pertinent issue is the fact that the club has gone cap in hand to the supporters again WITHOUT consultation and with no genuine reason as to why this has been put out there instead of trying to secure some sort of sponsorship from a commercial entity. I dont think anyone believes that there is no company on the planet that may want to sponsor the club. If that was the case there'd be no club in L2 with a sponsor!
Don’t you mean to the owners for arguably less than £20 each

Firstly regardless of a sponsor does our kit cost us £40K.
No matter how you dress this up its pathetic that our busy board(working their backsides as a few have said on here) cannot get anybody to sponsor us this season regardless of the crisis we are in still.
The begging bowl has been sent out again.
I very much doubt they will raise the target unless business shows interest.
Having a daughter and 2 granddaughters with Type 1 Diabetes I will chip in of course.
Why make it a competition between 3 charities as well.

At least a bit of imagination is being shown...

I think it looks like the easy option out - a little lazy.

I agree with your last bit.

It would be interesting to see what the likes of Dragons and other local clubs are doing.

Papski2 wrote:
County ranger wrote:So the owners are asked to contribute and it is met with criticism.
Personally I fully expected to have to dip my hands into my pockets during this crisis. I think it's just wrong cap in wrong hand from the club.

We should be looking to boost trust membership with a high transparency, high engagement model to cover this seasons shortfall and to flourish in the future.

I'd have like to have seen the trust on the front of the shirt and in turn fundraise for the charities through other avenues. Engage with the new members and keep their fees coming in year on year. Not just cap in hand with no engagement or explanation.
I can see your point, but if people don't get the point about the link between Newport County (on the pitch) and the Trust by now, they never will. Perhaps raising the awareness of a charity will mean more to them. Remember, there are those who held off transferring from the £10 annual subscription until the last possible moment. Saying that it equates to one match ticket for each regular supporter does put it into perspective. Or the cost of four pints not consumed on match days over the last two months of this season. I'm beginning to come around to this.

This is not about the trust though.
This request has been sent out to everyone via Social Media.
Imagine a lot of non football fans will donate hoping their favourite charity get the sponsorship then find out they were not top of the tree and they have got nothing for their donation.
All 3 charities should have the sponsorship.
3 different logos on the shirt quite simple.
Got to differ here also anything over the target must be shared as non County fans chipping in must see something for their efforts.
Very difficult decisions.
Chip in £100 and your charity possibly gets nothing.
Chip in £100 direct to your charity and it gets the lot.

Ps This puts the new ground zoom debate on the back burner also.

The point being missed is that charities have been amongst the hardest hit by coronavirus and many will face bankruptcy.

I also think it is important to wait and see what other record breaking sponsorship deals other league 2 clubs unveil before judging the clubs incompetence. I am fairly certain that companies finding £40k for matches to played behind closed doors on a date yet to be specified would not have been top of their agenda.

Lovely of Harry Kane to help Orient out though.

Again it seems to me that the board have gone for an easy option and getting the begging bowl out to the fans.
If we struggle to get 40k for some kit how the hell will we ever get money for bigger agendas such as a possible new ground?

Also whilst I have no problems donating money to charities and the club being involved in local charities it seems to me that every other week there is some charity that the club is involved in.

Perhaps the same amount of effort should be put into club commercial endeavours. After all we are a football club not a charitable organisation.

Willthiswork wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote: Ps This puts the new ground zoom debate on the back burner also.
Why?
Tongue in cheek but with our board working their bums off as I keep hearing LOL
Will they have time to even think about the Zoom debate even if they were slightly interested in it sorry to say, as its a great idea but those in charge will pass it by again.
Always take the easy option without even thinking it through.

Alan G Bryant wrote:The point being missed is that charities have been amongst the hardest hit by coronavirus and many will face bankruptcy.

I also think it is important to wait and see what other record breaking sponsorship deals other league 2 clubs unveil before judging the clubs incompetence. I am fairly certain that companies finding £40k for matches to played behind closed doors on a date yet to be specified would not have been top of their agenda.

Lovely of Harry Kane to help Orient out though.
Back with us then.
Agree 100% with your first paragraph so as I said.
Give £100 to JDRF and it gets the lot.
Give £100 to the plea and probably JDRF get nothing.
If they are lucky or the other 2 are they get mentioned on our kit, long term for the winner would be useful for sure, the loosers nothing to show for it.

I too have a problem with this. Not with the idea, it is a practical means of dealing with a problem. But once again rather than engage with the fan base and discuss, the fans are given a faet accompli. Rather than say in April, we have been unable to find a suitable shirt sponsor, what do you think of this idea? And let us know if you can think of improvements or something better the club once again present in a way almost guaranteed to wind up supporters.

And the 'You choose the shirt sponsors' line is utterly crass. It's known in sales as the alternative close and it appears that many County supporters are too sophisticated to fall for it.