Re: Barrow Promoted

We beat Barrow 6-0 in 1962 at Somerton Park Including 3 from Joey Bonson, 2 from Ralph Hunt who scored 27 league goals that season.

That was our first ever season in the fourth tier. The division contained 9 teams, excluding Barrow who are now plying their trade in the Non League Pyramid and also a team flying high in the English championship - Brentford.

mad norm wrote:Must be a fantastic emotional feeling for their mature long standing fans.
Brilliant
Tinged with a little sadness. 48 years ago I was a boy, now I am an old man. 48 years ago there were parents who loved me, now they are gone. 48 years ago all things seemed possible, now they don't. 48 years ago I watched County beat Barrow on a misty Friday night 3-2. Seems like the day before yesterday.

Good Morning!

It’s been a while since a football story got me a bit emotional, but this certainly has.
As I have stated previously, fate propelled me to be a life long County fan since as a lad of eleven, back in the seventies, Newport County won a subbuteo F A Cup final against my elder brother. The journey started slowly from that day and now is a big part of my ( and my family’s) life.
The team I beat, playing as Newport County was Barrow. What if I had played as Barrow instead, and beat my brothers Newport?
Would I have gone a different path? No one can possibly say but it shows how lives can be changed by such miniscule details of un-important triviality.

Years of non league obscurity regardless!

I wish Barrow well and will make every effort to attend the games against them, if allowed.

Phil in Northampton

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
mad norm wrote:Must be a fantastic emotional feeling for their mature long standing fans.
Brilliant
Tinged with a little sadness. 48 years ago I was a boy, now I am an old man. 48 years ago there were parents who loved me, now they are gone. 48 years ago all things seemed possible, now they don't. 48 years ago I watched County beat Barrow on a misty Friday night 3-2. Seems like the day before yesterday.
Just checked my facts. The Barrow match you mention was the home match previous to my first ever County match, two weeks later against York City. We lost 0-3 and York were promoted that year. Lots of water under many bridges.

excessbee wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Brilliant
Just checked my facts. The Barrow match you mention was the home match previous to my first ever County match, two weeks later against York City. We lost 0-3 and York were promoted that year. Lots of water under many bridges.
Got a feeling that was the evening match and I was 5 minutes late.
Deathly hush inside the ground to be told we were 2 down
Think Albert Johannsen was playing for them.

Maybe that was a few years earlier though?