Re: Macclesfield

Mr Figo wrote:Let's hope we are not placed in the same position as them.
Why would we be? You surely realise that this is the ruling of an EFL disciplary panel into their off the field dodgy practices this season. The two points is in addition to the eleven they have already accrued through failure to pay players on time multiple times this season and late postponements on two occasions.

excessbee wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:Let's hope we are not placed in the same position as them.
Why would we be? You surely realise that this is the ruling of an EFL disciplary panel into their off the field dodgy practices this season. The two points is in addition to the eleven they have already accrued through failure to pay players on time multiple times this season and late postponements on two occasions.
Maybe you are right, I hope you are...

There's no maybe about it. Macclesfield have been punished - I think too lightly - for specific offences. We'd only find ourselves in the same situation if we'd done the same. We didn't.

The deduction been pitched at a level which means there's no point Macclesfield appealing so L2 can at long last publish a final table. Was that the driver here?

Macclesfield still have a mountain to climb. Even the £20,000 might see them off. I thought the wording about submitting a financial plan for the next season 'and beyond' was interesting. Seems like a large hint that progress will need a regime change and this is the time for the club to be sold. The deadline for submitting their plan, end of July, is not far away. I suspect HMRC may be keen to get their money in September, after eleven adjournments, otherwise it may set a precedent that selling the club is a way of writing off a tax debt. Others are also owed money, Sol Campbell being the most high profile.

phil crump wrote:It’s all wrong to be honest they weren’t paying players all season on time with fans and the EFL are more than likely going to have a bury fiasco all over again can’t imagine there will be too many players willing to sign for them either
Maybe the EFL were looking ahead and thinking that, if relegated, Macclesfield might be denied entry to the National League. This might kill the club and the EFL would be cast in the role of the bad guy. This way they leave the door ajar and if Macclesfield don't put their house in order pdq, they can have no excuses if they go the way of Bury. Give them enough rope. Although this final decision was made by an independent panel. Personally I think it's HMRC allowing eleven adjournments to the winding up order that has been the major culprit. I suppose Macclesfield also got lucky because they were unwilling to hear winding up petitions during the Covid crisis, although the debts were racked up well before this.

From a purely selfish position let’s hope we play them at home early in the season, otherwise coffers could be down £40-50k. On the plus side there might only be 1 relegation spot to worry about next season should they fold. Mind you I will be surprised if it’s just Macc that go to the wall during 20/21 season.

Mac Town should be kicked out of the league.
They have consistently not payed their players, staff and not forefilled fixtures.
But from a pragmatic point of view if they are still in league 2 next season with a suspended 4 points deduction and are likely to misbehave themselves again, then it is to the benefit of NC that there are teams below us, as this will help us from being in a potential relegation battle

George Street-Bridge wrote:There's no maybe about it. Macclesfield have been punished - I think too lightly - for specific offences. We'd only find ourselves in the same situation if we'd done the same. We didn't.

The deduction been pitched at a level which means there's no point Macclesfield appealing so L2 can at long last publish a final table. Was that the driver here?
It may have been is the only answer to that. However Macclesfield have finished 23rd. Without the docking of points they would have finished 23rd. In reality what punishment is that?

Edit.

I remember back in the 60's Peterborough were relegated from Division 3 to Division 4 for some offence. A real punishment. The following season Port Vale committed the same misdemeanor. As they were already in Division 4 their 'punishment' was being forced to seek reelection. ( A formality)

Seems the Football League really don't get it.

Percy plunkett wrote:You obviously didn’t go to Bassaleg then Brendan.Without the docked points,they would have 36 points and be above Morecambe in 22nd.
My mother went to Bassaleg. But I think that the real reason is that the League table wasn't of much interest since about November, and life is too short to look at the final table.

But you get the point.