Re: France to allow up to 5,000 fans to watch sport in stadi

Alan G Bryant wrote:How can cinemas open but people cannot attend a football match? Most films last longer than a football match.
People shout at football matches. Their spit carries much further. That combined with the number of people attending a football match means that far more people are likely to become infected as the result of a football match than by attending a cinema.

However it does seem that there is a policy change. In part because all corona viruses survive outside the human body for a shorter time in warmer weather, in part because treatment of the symptoms of covid19 has improved, and finally the decision has been taken that to avoid economic collapse the lockdown has been eased.

So in terms, the number of people likely to die if cinemas reopened is seen as acceptable, football matches not so much.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:How can cinemas open but people cannot attend a football match? Most films last longer than a football match.
Because it's indoors and even with air con or heating people are breathing circulating air. Suspect it will be a long time before I go to football, but cinema will be a lot longer..
Of course, this is grounds for NOT reopening cinemas.

Because it's indoors and even with air con or heating people are breathing circulating air. Suspect it will be a long time before I go to football, but cinema will be a lot longer..
Of course, this is grounds for NOT reopening cinemas.
But of course it is also grounds for not re-opening shops, pubs, restaurants, gyms, barbers,courts, etc. There are no events or places where the number of people who gather gets close to sporting fixtures.At the moment it is estimated that one in every seven hundred people are carrying the virus. At a cinema with 30 in it your chances of even being in the same room are 25/1 and the chances of that person spreading it with proper distancing are slim. Even County's 3,500 will have 5 infectious people and the chances of the infection being spread are almost certain.

George Street-Bridge wrote:If it is possible to expand i-Follow for next season I really hope they can stream it via smart TVs rather than just PCs and mobile devices.
A precedent seems to have been set with the Saturday 3PM ko Championship behind closed doors games being made available to view in the UK via iFollow for £10. Access via smart TVs is a simple matter of developing a variation to the existing app to work with the TV's OS. That should be simple, quick and cheap to accomplish. An HDMI cable from laptop to TV is my current solution.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Suspect it will be a long time before I go to football, but cinema will be a lot longer..
Same here. Such a shame (about the footie, not so much the flicks, which I can take or leave at the best of times).

With good physical distancing in place the actual risk of infection during the 90 minutes of a match strikes as me as manageable. It's all the other bits of the match day experience where physical distancing is either not possible or not in my control that makes me think I'd rather do something else instead.

Driving to the game alone, not being able to get into a pub for a pre-match swifty because they're at capacity, queuing at half-time to get into the 100 Club then being stuck in a long queue for the reduced capacity gents with the second half already underway, taking longer to get out of the ground at the final whistle ( or worse, getting caught in a compressed crowd of people). I'm gonna be agrophobic by 2021.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I need to use the handrails to climb the steps to my ST seat. Will they have to wipe them down every time someone goes up or down?
Look after yourself every time that's what myself and Mrs Nouble do.
Disposable gloves sanitiser or wipes.
Simple.
No football then you look at the thousands of Morons on Southend beach yesterday.
Leaving litter, crapping in side streets etc etc
Clueless loonies running this country and kids may still not be back in school September.
Steam belches from both ears!!!

Though disposable gloves is an option (turned inside out after use), better is just to be acutely aware aware you are contacting something someone else has and to consciously avoid touching your face area before you clean your hands with a suitable sanitiser (as often as is necessary). Wearing a face mask will help, but not a guarantee.

Copper and it's alloys (make sure no lacquer covering) kill the virus in minutes, though wiping your hands on such a surface is no substitute for washing/sanitiser use.