The Retained and Released list is out

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Alan G Bryant

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby Alan G Bryant » June 28th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:As well as Bournemouth , your point is ?

Probably my point is that you haven't got a clue being so far up as I stated before.
Love is blind they say.


Thank you for clearing that up.

We have have had some great young loan players , Semenyo went back to Bristol City then on to Sunderland , Ben White went back to Brighton and now sits top of the championship with Leeds, Karl Darlow on to the premiership with Newcastle.

Wood went to America.
Foulston to Chippenham
Touray to Barry
Jeffries to Salisbury
Owen Evans to Hereford.

Players will always find their level.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » June 28th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:As well as Bournemouth , your point is ?

Probably my point is that you haven't got a clue being so far up as I stated before.
Love is blind they say.


Thank you for clearing that up.

We have have had some great young loan players , Semenyo went back to Bristol City then on to Sunderland , Ben White went back to Brighton and now sits top of the championship with Leeds, Karl Darlow on to the premiership with Newcastle.

Wood went to America.
Foulston to Chippenham
Touray to Barry
Jeffries to Salisbury
Owen Evans to Hereford.

Players will always find their level.

Clearly then by your argument our Academy is not fit for purpose.
Have a word with your mate and see if things can be improved.
Nobody including myself has ever said Dom, Jay, Kieron etc are Ben Whites but they could be league 2 standard.
Big difference between Premiership level and league 2 but maybe you do not understand that.
Semenyo has proven nothing yet still not broken into City's side likewise Karl has always been on the bench.
you forgot the best one also.
Ollie.
Never mind.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby excessbee » June 28th, 2020, 10:27 pm

I wonder if a successful conclusion to Cardiff's season combined with a general tightening of belts may see a couple of decent young players come in our direction.
no avatar
User

Alan G Bryant

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby Alan G Bryant » June 28th, 2020, 10:35 pm

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:As well as Bournemouth , your point is ?

Probably my point is that you haven't got a clue being so far up as I stated before.
Love is blind they say.


Thank you for clearing that up.

We have have had some great young loan players , Semenyo went back to Bristol City then on to Sunderland , Ben White went back to Brighton and now sits top of the championship with Leeds, Karl Darlow on to the premiership with Newcastle.

Wood went to America.
Foulston to Chippenham
Touray to Barry
Jeffries to Salisbury
Owen Evans to Hereford.

Players will always find their level.

Clearly then by your argument our Academy is not fit for purpose.
Have a word with your mate and see if things can be improved.
Nobody including myself has ever said Dom, Jay, Kieron etc are Ben Whites but they could be league 2 standard.
Big difference between Premiership level and league 2 but maybe you do not understand that.
Semenyo has proven nothing yet still not broken into City's side likewise Karl has always been on the bench.
you forgot the best one also.
Ollie.
Never mind.


You said it Bud !
no avatar
User

DT1892

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby DT1892 » June 28th, 2020, 10:41 pm

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
DT1892 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Alan,that is Harp’s point.If we let a lad go,teams assume that he just wasn’t good enough and don’t take a look.They just say if he’s gone to Salisbury then that must be his level.Take Kieron Parselle,very unlucky to be released by us.You will say,he is still playing Connie South so that must be his level,has anyone bothered to look at him,no because they assume he wasn’t good enough.Out of Lazar,Marvel,Kieron and Jay,I know which two I would prefer.


Players are moving from the National Leagues to the Football League every summer. Scouts aren't going to base their opinion of a player on him being released at 20, they'll look at what they see on the pitch. They're also mostly on part-time contracts, so easier for clubs to take a gamble on financially.

I've seen Parselle a few times since his release. I think he's better than Chippenham, but the National League is probably his ceiling. Foulston impressed me more, I would've kept him.

Your last sentence proves my point.


I don't think it does.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 28th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Alan,that is Harp’s point.If we let a lad go,teams assume that he just wasn’t good enough and don’t take a look.They just say if he’s gone to Salisbury then that must be his level.Take Kieron Parselle,very unlucky to be released by us.You will say,he is still playing Connie South so that must be his level,has anyone bothered to look at him,no because they assume he wasn’t good enough.Out of Lazar,Marvel,Kieron and Jay,I know which two I would prefer.


You think league 2 and league 1 scouts do not watch the check a trade games ?. I once read an article from a former player , I cannot remember whom but the words resonated.

‘ if you are on your way up, or on your way down .. you find your own level ‘.

This is probably why Lee Hendrie and the likes of Alan Smith ended up playing in league 2.

I will wait for Frank to let us know the players we released that have proved us wrong .


Kevin Phillips was in his 20's and playing for Baldock. And don't get me started on Tony Book. (Before your time Alan me old son, google him.)
Many players, Rod Jones in our history are not willing to sacrifice a career outside football.
Now I didn't see enough of County last season to make a valid contribution as to the merits of players, but the argument that X is not good enough because....... works. The argument that players always find their right level........ not so much.
no avatar
User

Trigger

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby Trigger » June 29th, 2020, 8:34 am

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:Your 4th sentence is ridiculous.

No its not.
Its twice as hard to bounce back a second time.
Would of rather had TOE in midfield than the likes of Cooper, Maloney etc. He was no great shakes but it just shows the crap we sign and churn out weekly.
Poleon was a total joke and still came on rather than Collins.
What is ridiculous though is the fact you are so far up the boards backside that its a total farce.
What a waste last year having this site chipping in for Foulstons shirt.
.Always seemed good potential but ignored like the rest.
12 months down the line same story but it will be Widdiwiss and the next batch all going the same way.



Perhaps you should google ‘ how many academy players make it ‘ . It just suits your narrative to constantly attack Flynn and the club for anything. If they are good enough , they are old enough.

Name a couple of youth players we have realised who have gone on to play consistently at league 2 level to back up your point.

Crewe had 9 in there starting 11 a couple of years ago! And I think they beat us 3-2?
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Location

MT

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby Exile 1976 » July 1st, 2020, 7:29 am

I see Mansfield are splashing the cash
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby George Street-Bridge » July 1st, 2020, 8:05 am

On at least two occasions in the last few years Crewe have fielded a starting 11 consisting entirely of home-grown players.
no avatar
User

Triangle

Location

With the Panthers

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby Triangle » July 3rd, 2020, 12:23 pm

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:As well as Bournemouth , your point is ?

Probably my point is that you haven't got a clue being so far up as I stated before.
Love is blind they say.


Thank you for clearing that up.

We have have had some great young loan players , Semenyo went back to Bristol City then on to Sunderland , Ben White went back to Brighton and now sits top of the championship with Leeds, Karl Darlow on to the premiership with Newcastle.

Wood went to America.
Foulston to Chippenham
Touray to Barry
Jeffries to Salisbury
Owen Evans to Hereford.

Players will always find their level.

Clearly then by your argument our Academy is not fit for purpose.
Have a word with your mate and see if things can be improved.
Nobody including myself has ever said Dom, Jay, Kieron etc are Ben Whites but they could be league 2 standard.
Big difference between Premiership level and league 2 but maybe you do not understand that.
Semenyo has proven nothing yet still not broken into City's side likewise Karl has always been on the bench.
you forgot the best one also.
Ollie.
Never mind.


Darlow is not first choice keeper, But he plays. He was in goal for the 2-0 defeat by Man City the other day, made a couple of decent saves.
no avatar
User

bedeck

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby bedeck » July 3rd, 2020, 2:25 pm

I have watched Keiran Parselle and Foulston twice in the last 6 months before shut down and both played really well especially Parselle who has beefed up considerably and has speed, something our defence has never had. I would sign him up without doubt he would be better than others. Also when he played for us last time, he had no one to mentor his back four play as we were struggling week in week out, along side Micky D he would improve further. Jay has turned into a nice left back.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby George Street-Bridge » July 3rd, 2020, 4:56 pm

it wouldn't surprise me if across the lower leagues generally players with CVs like Parselle move back up the pyramid by a rung or two.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 3rd, 2020, 6:51 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:it wouldn't surprise me if across the lower leagues generally players with CVs like Parselle move back up the pyramid by a rung or two.


Genuinely interested in why you think that. I would have thought that if money is tight and clubs are releasing players that the opposite would be the truth. That is Championship players needing to drop to League 1 and so on.

Unless highly paid players are prepared to take pay cuts, if the money isn't anymore their only other option is to drop out of the game completely. I just don't see that happening.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby excessbee » July 3rd, 2020, 7:33 pm

Well, players dropping down a league setting their demands too high combined with clubs in league two working to a budget that is not prepared to meet their demands, the two expectations may not coincide. Egos may see some not getting the contract they or their agent is expecting, whilst the cost to clubs of less experienced players may be three for the price of two.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 3rd, 2020, 8:03 pm

excessbee wrote:Well, players dropping down a league setting their demands too high combined with clubs in league two working to a budget that is not prepared to meet their demands, the two expectations may not coincide. Egos may see some not getting the contract they or their agent is expecting, whilst the cost to clubs of less experienced players may be three for the price of two.


That's the point though.

Footballers are no different to you or me, and football is their job. Now I don't know how much you earn or what you do. However unless you are extremely fortunate you have to earn a living. So say Monday morning you get called into the office. Sorry but times are hard, we have to cut your pay by 25%.

So not unnaturally you ring other employers in your line of work. They are all happy to employ you but all say that they can only offer you 75% of your current salary.

Do you
a) swallow your pride or,
b) starve?
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Powered by phpBB ®