Re: The Retained and Released list is out

Caradog wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Your logic only works if you disregard what happens at every other club.
Clubs will have to cut costs. You are though correct, there is another scenario.
Some clubs in the higher divisions will reduce squad numbers rather than cut wages. This will lead to better players being willing to play at League 2 level.

Which leaves County hit with a triple whammy. Stuck paying higher wages to lesser players whilst other League 2 clubs can go to a pool of players who were plying their trade at a higher level four months ago.

I was being unduly optimistic about County's problems, thank you for pointing out why our spectacular generosity on the contracts front is an even bigger disaster.
Wow! Got that point immediately! League position will be determined by how many players previously contracted. County appear to have a lot and a relegation battle looms.
Let's hope, and this does sometimes happen, that the players we do have suddenly click. Whilst I would bite your hand off now for avoiding relegation it is not unknown for teams that look good on paper to struggle and vice versa.

If we learn from the errors of last season then hope springs eternal, well at least for the first few games anyway. And our last two promotions came out of the blue.

With the players that have been released, OBs retirement and Lenny leaving, the club has saved approximately £7 a week. That's over £300k per season if players are paid throughout the year.
That's a massive saving for our club.

I'm optimistic as ever about the season, we will see a difference style of play without a target man as such.

The fringe players may surprise us, like they did in the lesser trophies last season. Remember Dolan played in the CB position and did well, can he be converted.

I see that Dale Gorman and Ben Kennedy have been released, who did okay for us especially Gorman. But can we afford anyone / Sad to see Foulston and Touray go, our youngsters never seem to get a chance.

bedeck wrote:With the players that have been released, OBs retirement and Lenny leaving, the club has saved approximately £7 a week. That's over £300k per season if players are paid throughout the year.

Indeed it is. Now let's develop that. When Podge leaves play me instead. I would do it for nothing. I'm sure when we need a new goalkeeper we could persuade Rob Sant' to play for nothing. Likewise a midfield of Pembs, AmberExile and GSB would doubtless be a far cheaper option for the club than professional footballers. Now put Frank at left back and stick Alan J Bryant on the wing and all our financial worries are at an end.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
bedeck wrote:With the players that have been released, OBs retirement and Lenny leaving, the club has saved approximately £7 a week. That's over £300k per season if players are paid throughout the year.

Indeed it is. Now let's develop that. When Podge leaves play me instead. I would do it for nothing. I'm sure when we need a new goalkeeper we could persuade Rob Sant' to play for nothing. Likewise a midfield of Pembs, AmberExile and GSB would doubtless be a far cheaper option for the club than professional footballers. Now put Frank at left back and stick Alan J Bryant on the wing and all our financial worries are at an end.
In my younger years I liked playing left back (Crindau Corries) but as you know I developed into a top class frustrating league 2 forward. :lol:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

How on earth did you know I used to be a left sided midfielder? Pretty useful too in the Pembs league. Fair enough I ended up as a slower left back in my later years but still did the business.

I’m available for a toblerone and a bottle of gin per game. The club can afford that surely. If it is too much I’ll take a half bottle.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:The club could sell those cardboard cut outs like Exeter had last night to make some extra money if the season starts without fans
The Australian rugby league ones are done via a single company and cost the equivalent of about 13 quid. You might find yourself seated next to Dominic Cummings or Harold Shipman.
For Wembley they are charging £25 including being taken and set up at the stadium