Re: The Retained and Released list is out

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Legally, I expect it was essential we topped up the players' wages above what was paid via furlough otherwise we could've been sued for breach of contract. I expect Stan can confirm?

Anyway, I'd like to thank all the departing players for their efforts and wish them well. Jamma and Benno in particular always gave 100% and played a big part in our relative success in the league and cup last season and will be missed.

No need for anyone to confirm , just google it all . The PFA have done nothing for football clubs or their released players as Amberexile has alluded to, so far neither have the EFL or PL.

The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer.

Edit.

I would also like to thank Jamille and Scott who have been an absolute credit to our football club.
Last edited by Alan G Bryant on June 23rd, 2020, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Legally, I expect it was essential we topped up the players' wages above what was paid via furlough otherwise we could've been sued for breach of contract. I expect Stan can confirm?

Anyway, I'd like to thank all the departing players for their efforts and wish them well. Jamma and Benno in particular always gave 100% and played a big part in our relative success in the league and cup last season and will be missed.
The answer to your question is I don't know. I haven't seen the contracts. However if they are contracts of employment as opposed to for employment, then probably you are right.

But if the government were paying 80% of the wages then that would appear to more than cover the loss of income from the four League games at Rodney Parade. Further to this all clubs are on an equal basis of monies coming in. In terms a team who have an average gate of 6,000 lose twice as much match day income as a team with an average gate of 3,000. When you add two massive Cup runs and a play-off final, Newport County whilst in a difficult position should, as Gavin Foxhall said, be in a comparatively good position, compared to other League 2 sides.

Unfortunately it appears that the club have massively overspent on players and management wages, and the glut of two year contracts has just about used up any cash reserves we have.

Which is why Gavin Foxhall is falling over himself to blame Flynn. He may have a point of sorts. By giving the management team superb contracts and then a free hand in spending on players he allowed Flynn to behave like William Brown in a sweet shop with a £5 postal order. Lots of lemon sherbet, a fair few gob stoppers, a glut of marzipan, and now we're all feeling sick.

Do you blame the errant schoolboy, or his indulgent maiden aunt who sent him the cash.

If I were Mr Brown, I'd take a slipper to both.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
amberbhoy wrote: It's not just losing two players it's the fact the players left to take their place are just not good enough
But the whole point is the new "good enough" will be different from the old one.
No it won't be. It's the same players who will be playing when the season begins. It may well be that they will be on lower wages.

Except for the lucky ones who bagged themselves two year contracts before the pandemic. Their wages remain the same.

So a club which gave out a lot of two year contracts is in trouble. A club which gave out a lot of two year contracts to players not good enough are in real trouble.

And when that happens those responsible will try to shift the blame.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Your logic only works if you disregard what happens at every other club.
Clubs will have to cut costs. You are though correct, there is another scenario.
Some clubs in the higher divisions will reduce squad numbers rather than cut wages. This will lead to better players being willing to play at League 2 level.

Which leaves County hit with a triple whammy. Stuck paying higher wages to lesser players whilst other League 2 clubs can go to a pool of players who were plying their trade at a higher level four months ago.

I was being unduly optimistic about County's problems, thank you for pointing out why our spectacular generosity on the contracts front is an even bigger disaster.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Your logic only works if you disregard what happens at every other club.
Clubs will have to cut costs. You are though correct, there is another scenario.
Some clubs in the higher divisions will reduce squad numbers rather than cut wages. This will lead to better players being willing to play at League 2 level.

Which leaves County hit with a triple whammy. Stuck paying higher wages to lesser players whilst other League 2 clubs can go to a pool of players who were plying their trade at a higher level four months ago.

I was being unduly optimistic about County's problems, thank you for pointing out why our spectacular generosity on the contracts front is an even bigger disaster.
Wow! Got that point immediately! League position will be determined by how many players previously contracted. County appear to have a lot and a relegation battle looms.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote:I don’t know whether it will work out like this but I’d hazard a guess that lower league clubs with the fewest number of players on contract for next season will get the pick of the released players and at reasonable wages. It could produce a few surprises in terms of unfashionable clubs turning out competitive squads.
I think I understand what you are saying, only think mind!

However, if you mean that there will be clubs who have been financially prudent and cut their cloth accordingly, that they may prosper because they have cash to spend, there is a problem with this.
This will only work if those clubs get their income from where they did previously, or at least get a similar amount. Given that most clubs at our level get their majority income from gate receipts, I don’t think you are right.

However, when it starts, next season is going to fan out in ways that we do now know yet. As ever, the clubs with the best players will top the leagues. How the clubs are going to access those players is anyone’s guess. Well almost.

I would say that the club that wins L2 next season, as well as having the best players will be the club that has managed its playing budget better than other clubs and has access to cash by other means. Unless Boris makes a spectacular change, spectator income isn’t going to play a big part in success on the playing field.

My prediction, sugar daddies will be invaluable. Watch Vince splash the cash and see FGR fly. He can afford it, it will be easy for them. I bet he is licking his lips already.