Re: The Retained and Released list is out

faerun exile wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Of the current squad,I would like to see four moved on.There is a slight chance that someone may take them but more likely we would have to pay them off or loan them out with us still paying a chunk of their wages.Unlikely in normal circumstances,less chance now.
Agreed. My 4 would be Azeez, Abrahams, Leadbitter and Ekpiteta although I am hopeful that the latter will bring something to the party next season. Happy with rest of the squad. Presumably Leadbitter is knackered long term. Fingers crossed with Azeez and Abrahams ... although we have had far worse on the books over recent seasons.
Agree,Azeez and Abrahams can have decent careers in the National or Scotland but not EFL.I think Marvel is National South level and a return to Hungerford would help him with his career.Leadbitter was a decent player a few years ago,still can’t believe we signed him after the Rovers manager saying what he did.

Bush wrote:Looking at that list we are in a better position than a lot of teams. Will be teams fielding majority youth players or amateurs if the league starts without fans.
Pause for a moment.

You are earning £1,000.

You lose your job.

Another employer says, "I can give you a job but can only pay you £350 a week. But if things go well maybe next year I can make it up to you".

Do you a) accept,

or b) say 'No give the job to some amateur or youth".

Remember £350 is better than the £90 you'll be getting on the dole.

Bush wrote:Looking at that list we are in a better position than a lot of teams. Will be teams fielding majority youth players or amateurs if the league starts without fans.
It may be a bit pessimistic, but we don't have to assemble a team to win the division. In the strange new world of league two 20/21 the target will be stay clear of the relegation battle. Mid table will be fine.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Pause for a moment.

You are earning £1,000.

You lose your job.

Another employer says, "I can give you a job but can only pay you £350 a week. But if things go well maybe next year I can make it up to you".

Do you a) accept,

Alternatively would you have paid for travel insurance if you know your holiday was at risk of being cancelled?

Bush wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Pause for a moment.

You are earning £1,000.

You lose your job.

Do you a) accept,

Alternatively would you have paid for travel insurance if you know your holiday was at risk of being cancelled?
I never book a holiday until the day before I go. I get on the old blower and offer what I can afford, which is a lot less than the price the holiday is advertised at.

I get a lot of people telling me to take a running jump. I don't mind, sooner or later, actually always sooner, somebody says yes.

excessbee wrote:
It may be a bit pessimistic, but we don't have to assemble a team to win the division. In the strange new world of league two 20/21 the target will be stay clear of the relegation battle. Mid table will be fine.
Speaking of pessimism, I’d predict we’re looking at everything below the Championship being semi-pro regional divisions in a few years , so all the discussion of league position next season feels a bit moot!

halfmoon wrote:
excessbee wrote:
Speaking of pessimism, I’d predict we’re looking at everything below the Championship being semi-pro regional divisions in a few years , so all the discussion of league position next season feels a bit moot!
Agree with this. Football will never be the same at this level now.

amberbhoy wrote:Does anyone think if we hadn't topped up the wages by paying the extra 20% we might have been able to keep a couple of our better players. Looking at what we have left that could be the difference between staying up or going down.
It's not just losing two players it's the fact the players left to take their place are just not good enough
I think that would have been a disaster - furlough payments will probably stop before we get to kick a ball again, so we'd have to find the remaining 80% to pay a large squad of players that won't have played a competitive game in 6 months.

amberbhoy wrote:Does anyone think if we hadn't topped up the wages by paying the extra 20% we might have been able to keep a couple of our better players. Looking at what we have left that could be the difference between staying up or going down.
It's not just losing two players it's the fact the players left to take their place are just not good enough
Your last sentence implies that we will not be signing any new players in the lead in to next season (whenever that is), and we will be making do with what we have. There is no evidence of that.

Legally, I expect it was essential we topped up the players' wages above what was paid via furlough otherwise we could've been sued for breach of contract. I expect Stan can confirm?

Anyway, I'd like to thank all the departing players for their efforts and wish them well. Jamma and Benno in particular always gave 100% and played a big part in our relative success in the league and cup last season and will be missed.