Stadium Discussion(s)

Afternoon all,

I hope everyone is keeping sane and safe. I am looking at hosting a Zoom meeting on Thurs 18 June at 8pm. Please feel free to PM with your details and then on the day I will send you details to join. I will also send a rough agenda. I have already been contacted regarding interest.

The initial discussion will only be for 40 minutes (Stan - please note :grin:) and if there is enough interest and traction then I will look at obtaining a licence for future discussion.

The aim of the meeting and the group is to support the BoD going forward in potentially establishing a fund with Club endorsement. It will not be a talking shop where personal views are aired. The aim is straightforward (too understand) and I aim to keep in on task and avoid distractions. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss or have ideas that you can bring to the table. This is something that we can all get involved in.

As this is an initial meeting, nothing will be decided at this stage. But if everyone thinks that a synopsis of what has been discussed should be posted on this message board then I am more than happy to provide that as well. This will mean that those who read the forum are updated and can also comment in a thread with ideas and will give that level of transparency. Again, please come back to me with ideas that you have in terms of communicating.

If any of the BoD are reading then please PM me if you wish to join the meeting as well. I am keen to avoid the perception of "us and them" as the group is there to support them and the Club. Of course if the Club already have something in the pipeline for a stadium fund then we will retire to the stands! :grin:
Last edited by Mr Figo on July 2nd, 2020, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Just a few ideas I would like to float.

1) If we can get 1,000 supporters to commit to £10 per month that over 10 years would be £1,200,000. If we could then persuade the city council to lend us interest free that money over a ten year period and to match it that would immediately give you £2,400,000. If likewise an area of land somewhere within the city limits could also be donated then in my view a rudimentary stadium just fit for League football could be ready in three years. In seeking grants and with other fund raising we should then look to develop this stadium

Two points. Firstly we keep hearing that it costs £1,000,000 per 1000 seats. Which on that conjecture would be a 2,400 seater stadium. However the biggest cost in building is the price of land. Nonetheless 2,400 seats and modest but adequate terracing, should be within this budget.

I hear also the point about cash strapped councils. But in an authority the size of Newport £2,400,000 is not that big a total. Grants are also available. And whilst it needs to be kept at arms length from the club, a voluntary donation of £1 per ticket on games played at Rodney Parade will also provide income.

Finally councillors should be lobbied. Those who endorse this plan, regardless of political affiliation can receive support at election time, and if they don't can be actively canvassed against. Charlton Athletic did it, why not us? Just remind a few of the local worthies of the electoral fate of Rosie Barnes.

JonD wrote:I'm trying to imagine a time when the council would be less inclined and less able to help out with a new stadium. Sorry for sounding negative.
Look at the positives, work coming into the area which will boost the accommodation and catering industries too. We all need to get things motoring after this virus and this would be a good start in this area.

My suggestions would be to see if anyone at Newport RFC would be interested in joining this venture. They can barely afford to play at RP as is and should the Dragons ever move north and RP become houses we'll have 2 homeless clubs.

How many fans would Newport RFC draw if there was no Dragons? Gotta be a couple thousand.

Also it would be easier to explain my multiple direct debits to the club to the wife if there was something substantial to show for it. The usual named brick on the walkway to the new stadium, limited edition shirt after X amount of payments. It's not a deal breaker if not. Just something like that.

Papski2 wrote:My suggestions would be to see if anyone at Newport RFC would be interested in joining this venture. They can barely afford to play at RP as is and should the Dragons ever move north and RP become houses we'll have 2 homeless clubs.

How many fans would Newport RFC draw if there was no Dragons? Gotta be a couple thousand.

Also it would be easier to explain my multiple direct debits to the club to the wife if there was something substantial to show for it. The usual named brick on the walkway to the new stadium, limited edition shirt after X amount of payments. It's not a deal breaker if not. Just something like that.
So join the discussion. Your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone else's.

There are many ways in which people could help, even if it's not immediately apparent. If it does get off the ground, networking the idea to connected people would be as valuable as anything else in my view. I envisage this is where I could add most value - I know a lot of people whose businesses could benefit from the publicity of donating and being visible in the local press, for example.

My home town team has a scheme set up by fans to raise money independant of the club that they then donate to the club. They have a seat on the board to ensure the money is spent correctly.

https://mortonclubtogether.com/

They are currently getting much smaller crowds than Newport but have £180,000 pledged already.

I would contribute to a scheme like this if it was open and transparent. I sadly don't trust the club with my money as they don't seem to communicate how money is spent despite County being a "fan owned club".

sblair1979 wrote:My home town team has a scheme set up by fans to raise money independant of the club that they then donate to the club. They have a seat on the board to ensure the money is spent correctly.

https://mortonclubtogether.com/

They are currently getting much smaller crowds than Newport but have £180,000 pledged already.

I would contribute to a scheme like this if it was open and transparent. I sadly don't trust the club with my money as they don't seem to communicate how money is spent despite County being a "fan owned club".
That's exactly why we need this discussion - a trust fund that is transparent and accountable to the fans is, i think, what we would all want.