Re: Stadium Focus Group:

The Newport wrote:Hi Willthiswork, I forgot to thank you for your PM. When I have finished reading this thread I will let you know whether I would like to join your group or not. But I must say it is not looking encouraging.
It's not my group, as I explained it's a group of like-minded individuals. Each to their own.

Willthiswork wrote:
The Newport wrote:Hi Willthiswork, I forgot to thank you for your PM. When I have finished reading this thread I will let you know whether I would like to join your group or not. But I must say it is not looking encouraging.
It's not my group, as I explained it's a group of like-minded individuals. Each to their own.

I hope you don't mind me asking you. Do you say it is not your group, there must be someone in control surely?

pembsexile wrote:
The Newport wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:

I hope you don't mind me asking you. Do you say it is not your group, there must be someone in control surely?
You write just the way that the Wolf did. He asked me the same question. I told him it was not my group as well. Do you know him?
Pembs, check the PMs bud.

The Newport wrote:Is it true that you agreed to be transparent in all your discusses and reveal everything to all on this forum?
Don't think so? It is just a group of like-minded supporters looking for ideas. There is nothing secret about it but there's no need to 'report' back to this forum. You may be getting mixed up with the Stadium Trust idea that was mentioned on the first page of this thread. I've offered you the chance to join in the discussions but you've refused, strange that you want to continue it on here.

County ranger wrote:It is interesting that one of your leaders Stan who always wants transparency is leader of a group who find transparency the challenge it is.
And of course then you start having a go at posters - jog on Rodney Parade is the reality, the present and the future without a lottery winner!
? Stan has been as clear. We might not always agree on the way forward but I think we agree with his desire to have a stadium of our own?

Willthiswork wrote:
The Newport wrote:Is it true that you agreed to be transparent in all your discusses and reveal everything to all on this forum?
Don't think so? It is just a group of like-minded supporters looking for ideas. There is nothing secret about it but there's no need to 'report' back to this forum. You may be getting mixed up with the Stadium Trust idea that was mentioned on the first page of this thread. I've offered you the chance to join in the discussions but you've refused, strange that you want to continue it on here.

Nothing strange in wanting to discuss the group on here. What is strange is that as a group you say one and mean another.

Stadium Focus Group:
Postby Mr Figo » June 10th, 2020, 9:53 pm

Afternoon all,

I hope everyone is keeping sane and safe. I am looking at hosting a Zoom meeting on Thurs 18 June at 8pm. Please feel free to PM with your details and then on the day I will send you details to join. I will also send a rough agenda. I have already been contacted regarding interest.

The initial discussion will only be for 40 minutes (Stan - please note :grin:) and if there is enough interest and traction then I will look at obtaining a licence for future discussion.

The aim of the meeting and the group is to support the BoD going forward in potentially establishing a fund with Club endorsement. It will not be a talking shop where personal views are aired. The aim is straightforward (too understand) and I aim to keep in on task and avoid distractions. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss or have ideas that you can bring to the table. This is something that we can all get involved in.

As this is an initial meeting, nothing will be decided at this stage. But if everyone thinks that a synopsis of what has been discussed should be posted on this message board then I am more than happy to provide that as well. This will mean that those who read the forum are updated and can also comment in a thread with ideas and will give that level of transparency. Again, please come back to me with ideas that you have in terms of communicating.

If any of the BoD are reading then please PM me if you wish to join the meeting as well. I am keen to avoid the perception of "us and them" as the group is there to support them and the Club. Of course if the Club already have something in the pipeline for a stadium fund then we will retire to the stands! :grin:
Last edited by Mr Figo on July 2nd, 2020, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willthiswork wrote:
County ranger wrote:It is interesting that one of your leaders Stan who always wants transparency is leader of a group who find transparency the challenge it is.
And of course then you start having a go at posters - jog on Rodney Parade is the reality, the present and the future without a lottery winner!
? Stan has been as clear. We might not always agree on the way forward but I think we agree with his desire to have a stadium of our own?
Divisive leaders like Stan will always divide - quick question do you yet have any idea of size of footprint required and cost per sq mt for land and then any idea around Sect 106 needs for planning and finally any idea about size and cost to build. If you don’t start with an idea about your target spend how can you judge the realism of the dream. My guess budget without a benefactor means that sadly you are wasting your time. No one will take you seriously with constant rhetoric about owning a stadium without a budget.

Willthiswork wrote:

I prefer to keep my cell number private if that ok with you?
I don't remember refusing but having said that am I not allowed to keep my cell number to myself or just for family/friends?

llanwern exile wrote:
mike wilks wrote:Listen guys, I may not have the technical nous to partake in video calls or whatever, but I am seriously interested in the Stadium focus group, in whichever way I can contribute.....
Mike Wilks
I am with you on this mike.
The group began when I posted a response to Mr Figo. And to be clear it is simply a group of like minded individuals who share the view that to say the least County can't carry on without solving the problem of essentially having a second class status at Rodney Parade.

I took the view that whilst it would be helpful to have the endorsement of Newport County the club needed to be kept at arms length. My reasoning being that the stadium was a long term project whilst the club over the last 30 years have a record, albeit an understandable one, of only dealing with short term issues.

My opinion remains that a Trust fund should have been established with any funds raised being protected against any use save stadium provision.

However some member of the group met with Gavin Foxall. They reported back it was a 'very productive meeting'. Whilst some of the things said had to remain confidential the upshot was that the directors of Newport County were concerned that raised funds which might otherwise have gone to the day to day running of the club would be diverted to the long term provision of a stadium.

I do understand that concern. I simply believe that like governments in a democracy, boards of directors come and go and as a consequence vital decisions which will only bear fruit in 10 or 15 years time don't get taken. The expediency of looking good short term T
trumps all it seems. Let me be clear. I hold this view because of our history in the early 1980's. When things were going well and crowds flocking in we had two choices. Spend big money on players to get us into the then Division 2 or develop Somerton Park into a fit for purpose stadium.

We chose the former course then. And we all know what happened next. My view with respect to this was in a minority in the stadium focus group. I left the group. I wish them well however I believe they are marching off down the wrong road.

I still maintain that the first course of action should be to set up a trust fund. Once done work out the cost of building or developing a stadium. Then begin the decades long struggle of raising the money.

Moses never got to the promised land. Kennedy never got to see a man walked on the moon. Both had the courage to set out on journey's. In the 33 years since our club reformed Newport County have had many directors. All I am sure have worked hard. All have had the best interests of County at heart. None have been bad people.

Sadly none have had the vision to do what's really needed. And let's face it putting a man on the moon is a f@cking site harder than building a football stadium in a city the size of Newport.

Re: Stadium Focus Group: Next Meeting 27 July @ 8pm
Postby Mr Figo » July 28th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Afternoon all,

Just to keep everyone up to date, there was a productive and informative meeting last night. Key takeaways were:

Different models for stadium development were presented and in particular the three models that were of interest were:

AFC Wimbledon and the "trust"model (funded by supporters, investments and grants).
York City and the "sports village" model (their ground is to be shared with York's rugby team)
Luton Town and their "commercial model" (retail and business).

We will be shortly sending a letter to the BoD inviting them to support the idea of an independent stadium trust (the details of which have yet to be examined) and inviting them to further meetings. A copy of the letter will of course be published on this thread so everyone is kept up to date as to progress.

In addition, contact is being sought with those involved in the development of the AFC Wimbledon model in order to understand how it was achieved and lessons identified from their experience. There will be a meeting arranged if those involved are willing and able to attend for a Q&A. Again, details will be published here if that can be established.

Outside of that, the next meeting will take place hopefully after a response is received from the BoD as we are keen to get their support to move things forward. Hopefully with a positive response we can then have another meeting to discuss next steps. Please feel free to message me if you wish me to clarify anything.

Take care,

Mike
We will be shortly sending a letter to the BoD inviting them to support the idea of an independent stadium trust (the details of which have yet to be examined) and inviting them to further meetings. A copy of the letter will, of course, be published on this thread so everyone is kept up to date as to progress.
Please can we see a copy of the letter you sent to the Board Of Directors?

The Newport wrote:It's been over 24 Hour since I put my question above but no replies. I will wait a few more hours before I ask my next question.
I'm not sure I understand; why not simply join the focus group and be a part of it?

That way you'd be privvy to its goings on. What's the harm?