Re: Stadium Focus Group: Next Meeting 27 July @ 8pm

Amberexile wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
NearlyDead wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:It is peanuts, but isn't it the case that this price was only available to the WRU and the sellers would have wanted anyone else to pay back debts of several times that secured against the ground?
I believe there was about £4m of other loans to the directors that they wrote off following the deal.
Yes.

The headline figure is always quoted as £3.75m, but in reality something in the region of £10m would have been needed by anyone other than the WRU.
Something stinks about the way the directors would only write off their debts if the WRU purchased RP.
The whole thing stinks if you are a Newport RFC fan.
I couldn't agree more. Newport Athletic Club. A stadium in central Newport. Land which could host world class tennis. A proud 100+ history. No financial problems.

Gone like a fart in a thunderstorm. And in about as short a time to boot.

Westofthecoldra wrote:Hi all .I've been lurking in the background for a while just reading.
What about two seats for life like the millennium stadium,home games free ,first refusal on any thing else going on in the stadium,I think it was carried over from the old pitch.
Just a thought.

Debentures generally mature and the original sum raised is repayable to the holder. I believe the WRU ones don't pay interest, but grant rights Of preference to seats, tickets etc at the ground instead of paying interest. This debt is still debt and payable at maturity. I do not believe they are for life (from a quick search, I could be wrong) The WRU can refinance Before maturity by issuing new debentures and kick the can down the road. WRU had a benefit of a nations centre piece stadium as the draw, I don't know how much could be raised for a smaller project, but it could be attached as part of the financing. The various costs to issue, to manage benefits, to service, plus increasing leverage would need to be evaluated. Not shouting it down, as it is an option to explore.

Afternoon all,

Just to keep everyone up to date, there was a productive and informative meeting last night. Key takeaways were:

Different models for stadium development were presented and in particular the three models that were of interest were:

AFC Wimbledon and the "trust"model (funded by supporters, investments and grants).
York City and the "sports village" model (their ground is to be shared with York's rugby team)
Luton Town and their "commercial model" (retail and business).

We will be shortly sending a letter to the BoD inviting them to support the idea of an independent stadium trust (the details of which have yet to be examined) and inviting them to further meetings. A copy of the letter will of course be published on this thread so everyone is kept up to date as to progress.

In addition, contact is being sought with those involved in the development of the AFC Wimbledon model in order to understand how it was achieved and lessons identified from their experience. There will be a meeting arranged if those involved are willing and able to attend for a Q&A. Again, details will be published here if that can be established.

Outside of that, the next meeting will take place hopefully after a response is received from the BoD as we are keen to get their support to move things forward. Hopefully with a positive response we can then have another meeting to discuss next steps. Please feel free to message me if you wish me to clarify anything.

Take care,

Mike

Mr Figo wrote:Afternoon all,

Just to keep everyone up to date, there was a productive and informative meeting last night. Key takeaways were:

Different models for stadium development were presented and in particular the three models that were of interest were:

AFC Wimbledon and the "trust"model (funded by supporters, investments and grants).
York City and the "sports village" model (their ground is to be shared with York's rugby team)
Luton Town and their "commercial model" (retail and business).

We will be shortly sending a letter to the BoD inviting them to support the idea of an independent stadium trust (the details of which have yet to be examined) and inviting them to further meetings. A copy of the letter will of course be published on this thread so everyone is kept up to date as to progress.

In addition, contact is being sought with those involved in the development of the AFC Wimbledon model in order to understand how it was achieved and lessons identified from their experience. There will be a meeting arranged if those involved are willing and able to attend for a Q&A. Again, details will be published here if that can be established.

Outside of that, the next meeting will take place hopefully after a response is received from the BoD as we are keen to get their support to move things forward. Hopefully with a positive response we can then have another meeting to discuss next steps. Please feel free to message me if you wish me to clarify anything.

Take care,

Mike
Yes well done all and please do not let this initiative fall by the way side. Even if you don't get the BOD's support initially please keep pushing.

This should be the number 1 priority for our club.