Re: Stadium Focus Group:

Jack wrote:
The Newport wrote:It's been over 24 Hour since I put my question above but no replies. I will wait a few more hours before I ask my next question.
I'm not sure I understand; why not simply join the focus group and be a part of it?

That way you'd be privvy to its goings on. What's the harm?
It was stated in the beginning that you didn't have to be part of the group to be privy to what is going on within the group. they said that they would keep the rest of us informed ie the letter sent to the Board Of Directors.

Jack wrote:
The Newport wrote:It's been over 24 Hour since I put my question above but no replies. I will wait a few more hours before I ask my next question.
I'm not sure I understand; why not simply join the focus group and be a part of it?

What's your problem?

Strikes me as a quite reasonable request. It gets more and more like MI5 around here every day.

excessbee wrote:Maybe because it's conducted through WhatsApp which removes anonymity.
As far as I remember, the group meetings were via Zoom normally. A password for the link was given (on this mb). Hosted by Vanessa who graciously let us use her account so there was no charge. There is also a wotsap group but the initial meeting was via Zoom.

The Newport wrote:
Jack wrote:

It was stated in the beginning that you didn't have to be part of the group to be privy to what is going on within the group. they said that they would keep the rest of us informed ie the letter sent to the Board Of Directors.
Fair enough, maybe a prompting on this WhatsApp group would do the trick. It's gone a bit quiet in recent weeks.

pembsexile wrote:There was no secrecy. Everybody was offered the chance to join the initial Zoom group if they wanted.
I was invited to join the WhatsApp group.

excessbee,
Would appreciate your views on this - if you fancy joining the stadium Whatsapp group and are happy I will add you if you send me your mob no.

This was before the Zoom meeting. There cannot be any anonymity amongst a WhatsApp group....... can there?

Edit: I may be wrong. Perhaps Mr Figo could simply put me in his contacts list as 'Excessbee' and this is what would appear on the WhatsApp group list. Thus I would remain anonymous to others in the group. I should add that anonymity was not my only reason for declining the invitation.
Last edited by excessbee on February 8th, 2021, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willthiswork wrote:I've trawled through this thread and even though the 'letter' isn't on here a post on their reply is.

Everything that was said would be shared has been, in essence.

But when someone promises on behalf of your group to put a copy of the letter on here, you would think that they would keep to that promise, also a copy of the reply. If you want everyone to take the group seriously...

Re: Stadium Focus Group: Next Meeting 27 July @ 8pm
Postby Mr Figo » July 28th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Afternoon all,

Just to keep everyone up to date, there was a productive and informative meeting last night. Key takeaways were:

Different models for stadium development were presented and in particular the three models that were of interest were:

AFC Wimbledon and the "trust"model (funded by supporters, investments and grants).
York City and the "sports village" model (their ground is to be shared with York's rugby team)
Luton Town and their "commercial model" (retail and business).

We will be shortly sending a letter to the BoD inviting them to support the idea of an independent stadium trust (the details of which have yet to be examined) and inviting them to further meetings. A copy of the letter will of course be published on this thread so everyone is kept up to date as to progress.

In addition, contact is being sought with those involved in the development of the AFC Wimbledon model in order to understand how it was achieved and lessons identified from their experience. There will be a meeting arranged if those involved are willing and able to attend for a Q&A. Again, details will be published here if that can be established.

Outside of that, the next meeting will take place hopefully after a response is received from the BoD as we are keen to get their support to move things forward. Hopefully with a positive response we can then have another meeting to discuss next steps. Please feel free to message me if you wish me to clarify anything.

Take care,

Mike
My second question as anyone been in touch AFC Wimbledon? If you have was there any reply?

In addition, contact is being sought with those involved in the development of the AFC Wimbledon model in order to understand how it was achieved and lessons identified from their experience. There will be a meeting arranged if those involved are willing and able to attend for a Q&A. Again, details will be published here if that can be established.

OK, here is the transparency.

Following discussions on this board, just like we would down BarAmber before/after a game etc... a WhatsApp group was set up to look at the whys and wherefores of a possibility of obtaining/building a stadium for Newport County AFC.

Following a couple of meetings (where less than 5 people turned up despite the interest on this board and beyond - not a dig at those who couldn't make the meetings because of the times) we agreed to send the club Board a letter of our intent as we thought that it would be impossible to go any further without their support.

We sent a letter to them asking for a (virtual) meeting - two Board members met with Mr Figo and I. During the discussion it was immediately evident that the club are continually looking at the future infrastructure etc. It was also evident that our group lacked the skills associated with a professional football club, things aren't as easy as buying/being gifted a piece of land and building a stadium. It was also discussed that, at the present time, fund-raising (for a stadium) may be difficult and 'may' negatively impact any fund-raising that the club require. The pandemic is hitting all clubs in different ways.

We presented some fundraising ideas and the club were really welcoming and suggested further future discussions. It was also suggested that we revisit the stadium project in the future but maybe concentrate on assisting the Trust on current initiatives to raise money and membership levels.

Mr Figo and I then went back to the WhatsApp group and set up another meeting to discuss all this. Some members agreed that this was the way forward and some didn't. Some left the group and others have stayed.

Some of the group members are currently actively supporting the Trust and Club with exciting projects.

The WhatsApp group is still live although not very active, everyone is welcome to join it (just send me a PM with your mobile/cell phone number). Please do join if you have any skills, ideas, suggestions etc... that you feel would be of benefit.

Willthiswork wrote:OK, here is the transparency......

We sent a letter to them asking for a (virtual) meeting - two Board members met with Mr Figo and I. During the discussion..........It was also evident that our group lacked the skills associated with a professional football club,

First of all may I commend your honesty.

Look at what you have written because therein lies your problem.

The group wasn't set up to run a football club. The group was set up to look at ways, my suggestion, being setting up a Trust, to develop a football stadium. As soon as the club became involved then the 30 year plus problem of the club having to deal with day to day issues would strangle the baby at birth.

I said it would happen. It did.