Re: Stadium Focus Group: Next Meeting 27 July @ 8pm

Agree with the guy about Coventry. Purchasing the land with it's lease and building a ground for Wasps crippled Coventry.

County have three routes. Carry on as a Tenant of the WRFU at Rodney. Become successful and purchase the ground. Really successful buy the lease and re- build.

Some might say an investor would do it all on the cheapest land, which would be Lliswery/ Llanwern. New stadium, etc.

Today our only real equity is about 1,000 season ticket holders and Flynn's contract.

Re: Stadium Focus Group: Letter sent to the Board

Was talking to a lady who is involved with Newport live. Due to the covid 19 many charities have been affected particularly Newport stadium which is struggling badly. Time is running out with our lease over RP and let's be honest we are never going to own it .so now wd be a great opportunity for the us to explore this Avenue. With Grant's available and council's help we cd actually be in with a chance of owning our own ground. The plans are there to turn the pitch around .and it's a cheaper option.

excessbee wrote:Turn the pitch around. Hasn't it been established it won't fit?
It's certainly very tight and not ideal. Nonetheless the shed is in need of remedial work. Almost as cheap to knock it down and move it ten yards back. Instead of starting from scratch you do have one superb stand behind one goal.

However for me the problem is this. As an athletics stadium for Newport Harriers it is a first class venue. They have a license for another 80 years. I don't really imagine they'll say, 'please take our stadium, we'll be more than happy to give all this up and go back to the grass track around the glebe lands'.

Anyone can join our group, and anyone I hope can see the letter. To avoid any misconception at the moment all we are are a group of supporters who have come to the conclusion that Newport County need to develop a stadium fit for a League club in the 21st century.

I will be corrected if others disagree but the idea is to do this with the support of the club but at a certain arms length. The reason being that this project, if it gets airborne, is long term and needs to be free of short term considerations.

Willthiswork wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Mr Figo has sent a letter to the BoD stating the group's aims and the hopes to have more communication with the them.
Will the letter be shared with the message board?
I would doubt it, it wouldn't be fair on the board as they've not had a chance to officially reply.

The BoD are meeting on 27 Aug and hopefully a response will be forthcoming after that.

George Street-Bridge wrote:We've done this a few times but a new reader wouldn't necessarily have seen it. I believe if the pitch at Spytty was rotated one goalmouth would be in the main foyer. Look on Google Earth.
You are correct.

If you rotate the pitch 90 degrees you would either have to demolish the main stand, rebuilding it some way into the existing stadium car park, or you would have to encroach into Dragon Park's car park and its access (diverting the road to what's left of it - about 50% after putting some sort of stand/shed on the "eastern" end).

But there is a way that can be done. It would entail going into the Dragon Park area, but then that area could be reclaimed for parking for the club and Dragon Park along a large portion of what would be redundant ground to the "north" of the rotated ground, even allowing for new terracing/stand along that edge. This would likely increase the parking capacity available for DP currently.

But the best way to utilise SP, though, would be to relocate the Harriers, remove the running track and move the pitch sideways toward the main stand and retain all the existing footprint for terracing, NCAFC car parking, offices and the like.

NearlyDead wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:We've done this a few times but a new reader wouldn't necessarily have seen it. I believe if the pitch at Spytty was rotated one goalmouth would be in the main foyer. Look on Google Earth.
You are correct.

If you rotate the pitch 90 degrees you would either have to demolish the main stand, rebuilding it some way into the existing stadium car park, or you would have to encroach into Dragon Park's car park and its access (diverting the road to what's left of it - about 50% after putting some sort of stand/shed on the "eastern" end).

But there is a way that can be done. It would entail going into the Dragon Park area, but then that area could be reclaimed for parking for the club and Dragon Park along a large portion of what would be redundant ground to the "north" of the rotated ground, even allowing for new terracing/stand along that edge. This would likely increase the parking capacity available for DP currently.

But the best way to utilise SP, though, would be to relocate the Harriers, remove the running track and move the pitch sideways toward the main stand and retain all the existing footprint for terracing, NCAFC car parking, offices and the like.
I'm encouraged that people discuss ideas. And I'm sorry that I have to point out a problem hardly unique to County supporters. That being we all have a tendency to be myopic when it comes to our club.

We blame the rugby for ruining the playing surface. But look at it this way. The rugby are playing rugby on a rugby pitch they own.

We think Newport Harriers should relocate. We forget they have as much right to be at Spytty as we do. Finding the money to build Newport Harriers an equivalent stadium is not really on the cards.

In truth developing a stadium fit for tier four football in the 21st century is a long hard slog. And we need to accept that.