Stadium Focus Group: Next Meeting 27 July @ 8pm

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby excessbee » June 17th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Darlington and Sittingbourne failed because they were pie in the sky. We are surely thinking of a far more modest need.
no avatar
User

Pirates

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Pirates » June 17th, 2020, 5:04 pm

I think after reading about the financial situation developing at the WRU ( tonight’s Argus) —-and a needing a bank loan to bail out the 4 regions—-would it not be a good time to try and open up discussions immediately about a possible purchase of Rodney Parade .
We should be in there now !,, —-but maybe we are ???
I am sure the WRU must be interested in being relieved of this burden.?
Question is could we generate the cash via a loan / mortgage or get help from Newport Council.
This could turn out to be a bargain , especially if we could then resell and convert some of the land into housing / restaurants/ retail etc !!!
Maybe we could also talk to people about their interest in buying a plot to make these developments.——Big stores like M&S, Tesco , Asda, Boots, New car sales, new houses etc.
no avatar
User

Pirates

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Pirates » June 17th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Anyone remember how much the WRU Paid for RP ?
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Location

MT

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Exile 1976 » June 17th, 2020, 5:25 pm

no avatar
User

Pirates

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Pirates » June 17th, 2020, 5:28 pm

I live in the USA —-what about hiring a marketing company to try and sell the club to an investor or group of investors . They are starting to really like our round ball .

Is this too radical or too upsetting to our loyal fans .?
We then buy the stadium from WRU. and can then plan for the future .
Only a suggestion — don’t get mad at me !,
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 17th, 2020, 5:30 pm

bignbeefy wrote:I genuinely think that the only way forward for a city like Newport is by having a truly multi-purpose stadium. It would need to include other sports in order for the facility to pay its way. Speedway, dogs, stock cars, American football etc. Modern day stadiums for clubs at our level do not generate enough funds to be sustainable. They have to be a 24/7/365 proposition and offer hospitality and conference facilities, plus the possibility of retail and hotel. Even if the right money is raised to build, ongoing costs have to be covered otherwise you might end up with a Darlington or Sittingbourne situation.


I really disagree, not about being a multi purpose stadium but about it being used for any sport save football. I can see two teams sharing and two different codes but that would be my limit.

But here's the thing. We need as a club to discuss all of the options. Not just my ideas or yours but everyone's. Only idiots agree all the time, only idiots can't be persuaded they might be in error. I know reading your contributions you are neither. And judging by the threads on this board, neither are a lot of County fans.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 17th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Exile 1976 wrote:£3.75m according to the BeeB

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39855860


Was it really beyond Dragons and County to have raised only £1,875,000 each? The price of a really nice house in Hampstead.
no avatar
User

Pirates

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Pirates » June 17th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Thanks exile 1976.
no avatar
User

old ironside

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby old ironside » June 18th, 2020, 12:32 pm

If I remember rightly not all the 3.75 m was used for buying RP some was used to pay off T Brown and Hazell plus some money went to Newport rugby .I think it was 1.25m paid for RP.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 18th, 2020, 12:39 pm

old ironside wrote:If I remember rightly not all the 3.75 m was used for buying RP some was used to pay off T Brown and Hazell plus some money went to Newport rugby .I think it was 1.25m paid for RP.


To be clear this criticism has nothing to do with the board of directors of Newport County AFC.

Whether it was £3.75 million or £1.25million makes no difference. That an area of land that size in Newport city centre exchanged hands for so little stinks of corruption. Who was corrupt I have no idea but Newport RFC were shafted.
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Location

Sheffield

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Amberexile » June 18th, 2020, 2:05 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
old ironside wrote:If I remember rightly not all the 3.75 m was used for buying RP some was used to pay off T Brown and Hazell plus some money went to Newport rugby .I think it was 1.25m paid for RP.


To be clear this criticism has nothing to do with the board of directors of Newport County AFC.

Whether it was £3.75 million or £1.25million makes no difference. That an area of land that size in Newport city centre exchanged hands for so little stinks of corruption. Who was corrupt I have no idea but Newport RFC were shafted.


This does raise an interesting question of how do you value a rugby/football ground in terms of lending money against it or agreeing an outsourced venue management contract.

Considering that revenues generated are often linked to the success of the teams playing at the venue and there are few alternative uses for the venue without major redevelopment, it must be difficult to value a sports ground as a going concern, especially if looking at securitisation against future revenues.

Looking at this from a Newport County new ground perspective, I find it unlikely that we could seek to follow financing options such as publicly-marketed, asset-backed securities or bonds.

Would many be surprised if the club came to us for a second community share issue to help get the club through the next 18 months?
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 18th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Evening chaps.

I've downloaded Zoom. I have a little square on the screen saying Join meeting and a rectangle with enter meeting ID or personal link name. If anyone knows what I do next I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

Thanks,

Brendan
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Willthiswork » June 18th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Evening chaps.

I've downloaded Zoom. I have a little square on the screen saying Join meeting and a rectangle with enter meeting ID or personal link name. If anyone knows what I do next I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

Thanks,

Brendan


We wait for the codes that will be put on the Whatsapp group?
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Zoom Stadium Fund discussion

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 18th, 2020, 6:09 pm

Willthiswork wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Evening chaps.

I've downloaded Zoom. I have a little square on the screen saying Join meeting and a rectangle with enter meeting ID or personal link name. If anyone knows what I do next I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

Thanks,

Brendan


We wait for the codes that will be put on the Whatsapp group?


Thanks.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Stadium Fund Discussions

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 18th, 2020, 9:12 pm

The first meeting was held tonight.

There was consensus on one issue. That being to thrive Newport County need a fit for purpose stadium.

Now there was one issue on which myself and another disagreed. We talked but reached a stage where we just had to disagree. That is until a third member of our still small number came up with a solution. I won't embarrass him but it was the perfect solution. You see whilst we disagreed we didn't try to beat each other into submission we tried to work problems through.

Now everything is at a very early stage but I would like to say this. Please consider joining our number. The more people who involve themselves, the more ideas can come to fruition. The truth remains that we have all been guilty at times of playing politics but also that every one of us wants to see Newport County prosper. We can't do it alone, perhaps together we can.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Powered by phpBB ®