Re: The first of a few?

A lesson or warning for any club with overseas owners. Everywhere and everyone globally is affected by the pandemic and even huge football club owning corporations will have taken a hit and looking to make savings.

Feel for WAFC fans but that club has over-stretched itself trying to get back to the PL.

excessbee wrote:New owners took over just a month ago. They surely can't put the blame on Covid. The season was already months into shutdown. Maybe they were banking on a null and void conclusion and the cost of completing their fixtures has tipped them over the edge.
They have though. I agree with you the argument is nonsense but that doesn't stop people making nonsensical argument.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:A very good film, albeit WW2 propaganda. Very good musical score by William Walton.

I think it may be the first of the many. I see that Wigan are blaming Covid19. Rather like we blamed Sherman. In both cases the fatal damage was done before the arrival of a catalyst.
So true on all counts.

they either start next season on minus 12 in championship or in lg 1 if relegated doesn't sound like penalty will be added this season to cause relegation.and reading article seems like no one from wigan has heard from new owners in regards to funding they were supposed to be putting into the club

There's a remarkable allegation knocking about which suggests that the latest owners of Wigan have DELIBERATELY jeopardised the club, setting out to get points deducted so as to win a hefty bet placed in the Far East months ago which was a bet on Wigan getting relegated.

So, a bet was placed on them going down, they were down towards the bottom of the table but then hit a good run of form and started to climb the table and away from trouble. New owner (who might have placed the bet before taking over) sells up to 'someone' who can't be contacted, traced and might not exist. The funds to keep the club afloat and pay the bills stop coming in, club calls into administrators and Wigan are docked 12 points putting them back in the relegation mire. Presumably if players' wages don't get paid then they could refuse to play = further defeats = likely relegation = bet pays out.

If true, this is outrageous - how anyone can do something like this to an historic community club all in the name of a bet? There's also a short video clip circulating of league chief Rick Parry mentioning the alleged bet so things get murkier.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
If true, this is outrageous - how anyone can do something like this to an historic community club all in the name of a bet?
I agree that, if true, it would be outrageous. Carry on like this and we’ll have someone sanctioning the uprooting of a football club from the heart of its community to another part of the country.