Players To Sign

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Players To Sign

Postby neilcork68 » July 6th, 2020, 12:38 pm

I know its early and we have no idea as to when we will play again and what the budget will be but lets help MF out with names of players who we think could do a job for us and be in our price range....

Aaron Martin ......been released by Exeter City ( A good centre half at our level and at a good age )..a good replacement for O'Brien.

Dayle Grubb been released by FGR ( I believe that there were rumours that MF wanted to sign him in January but he got injured - always played well against us and looked good )
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Re: Players To Sign

Postby Willthiswork » July 15th, 2020, 7:28 am

Frank Nouble has signed for Aldershot!
no avatar
User

allontheamber

Re: Players To Sign

Postby allontheamber » July 15th, 2020, 7:45 am

If Grubb has been out injured he could be one of our first signings.
Sorry for being cynical.
no avatar
User

County Valleyboy

Re: Players To Sign

Postby County Valleyboy » July 15th, 2020, 8:05 am

Willthiswork wrote:Frank Nouble has signed for Aldershot!

No he hasn't.......
no avatar
User

DPT

Re: Players To Sign

Postby DPT » July 15th, 2020, 8:12 am

Thought it was Joel not Frank
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Re: Players To Sign

Postby Willthiswork » July 15th, 2020, 9:14 am

Doh! Oh yeah... Joel...
User avatar
User

Kairdiff Exile

Location

Our proud capital...

Re: Players To Sign

Postby Kairdiff Exile » July 15th, 2020, 10:12 am

I'd be astonished if we signed anyone, frankly, given the financial uncertainty. Indeed, I'd go further and say that to do so would be reckless unless the terms were exceptionally favourable. More likely is that we'll make do with what we've got and supplement it with youth players and a few loanees. And even then we probably need a cup run and a lot of fundraising to put us into the black.
no avatar
User

amberbhoy

Re: Players To Sign

Postby amberbhoy » July 15th, 2020, 12:07 pm

We won't be signing anyone because we are broke. In the last week I've had 2 different sources tell me we are on the brink of liquidation.
It may or may not be true but they are 2 seperate sources with no connection to each other.
Perhaps the board could raise a few quid by having a sponsored silence.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Players To Sign

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 15th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I'd be astonished if we signed anyone, frankly, given the financial uncertainty. Indeed, I'd go further and say that to do so would be reckless unless the terms were exceptionally favourable. More likely is that we'll make do with what we've got and supplement it with youth players and a few loanees. And even then we probably need a cup run and a lot of fundraising to put us into the black.


Serious question because I could be missing something here.

Newport County have lost the income from 4 league games. However on the plus side they have for the last five Months had 80℅ of the wage bill, for players and office staff, picked up by the Government.

On my basic maths we are Quid's in. Why do you believe otherwise?
User avatar
User

Kairdiff Exile

Location

Our proud capital...

Re: Players To Sign

Postby Kairdiff Exile » July 15th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:I'd be astonished if we signed anyone, frankly, given the financial uncertainty. Indeed, I'd go further and say that to do so would be reckless unless the terms were exceptionally favourable. More likely is that we'll make do with what we've got and supplement it with youth players and a few loanees. And even then we probably need a cup run and a lot of fundraising to put us into the black.


Serious question because I could be missing something here.

Newport County have lost the income from 4 league games. However on the plus side they have for the last five Months had 80℅ of the wage bill, for players and office staff, picked up by the Government.

On my basic maths we are Quid's in. Why do you believe otherwise?

In the medium term, we're likely to be massively down on our main income stream until matchday attendance is back to normal, plus we must have lost loads of ancillary income in the meantime. Remember too that away attendance probably makes up a bigger chunk of our revenue than most lower-league clubs, and that has suffered and will continue to suffer massively. I'd also bet that we've probably lost a proportion of Trust income as many fans will have had to reduce / cut their direct debits amidst their own financial travails because of layoffs / furloughing.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Players To Sign

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 15th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:I'd be astonished if we signed anyone, frankly, given the financial uncertainty. Indeed, I'd go further and say that to do so would be reckless unless the terms were exceptionally favourable. More likely is that we'll make do with what we've got and supplement it with youth players and a few loanees. And even then we probably need a cup run and a lot of fundraising to put us into the black.


Serious question because I could be missing something here.

Newport County have lost the income from 4 league games. However on the plus side they have for the last five Months had 80℅ of the wage bill, for players and office staff, picked up by the Government.

On my basic maths we are Quid's in. Why do you believe otherwise?

In the medium term, we're likely to be massively down on our main income stream until matchday attendance is back to normal, plus we must have lost loads of ancillary income in the meantime. Remember too that away attendance probably makes up a bigger chunk of our revenue than most lower-league clubs, and that has suffered and will continue to suffer massively. I'd also bet that we've probably lost a proportion of Trust income as many fans will have had to reduce / cut their direct debits amidst their own financial travails because of layoffs / furloughing.


We are told our wage bill is north of one million. 80% of that over six months is £400,000+. I see your point but £400,000?
User avatar
User

Kairdiff Exile

Location

Our proud capital...

Re: Players To Sign

Postby Kairdiff Exile » July 15th, 2020, 12:29 pm

I'm not going to guess the figures because I don't have sight of the club's balance sheet. But it seems obvious to me, for the reasons set out above, that income must be much lower than usual (and let's remember that we've basically only kept our nose above water because of cup runs in recent years). The priority must always be to keep the club sustainable over all else, and as such I don't expect us to sign new players at a time when our income streams are so unpredictable.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Players To Sign

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 15th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I'm not going to guess the figures because I don't have sight of the club's balance sheet. But it seems obvious to me, for the reasons set out above, that income must be much lower than usual (and let's remember that we've basically only kept our nose above water because of cup runs in recent years). The priority must always be to keep the club sustainable over all else, and as such I don't expect us to sign new players at a time when our income streams are so unpredictable.


My view, and I stress it is only my view, is that the board of directors have been utterly incompetent.

We know Flynn is on a far higher wage than is the going rate for a League 2 manager. Now you can argue that he is so good that he warrants that payment. However we also know that because of his inexperience County have also had to hire a mentor for him. Which tends to negate the argument that he, Flynn, is worth the extra.

Further County have given two year contracts to fringe players whilst letting go our better players.

And with the Cup runs, TV monies, transfer monies, it would be remarkable if we were broke. Indeed Gavin Foxhall himself stated in the Argus that County were in a much better financial position than many of our rivals.

I respect your views, and the way you put them forward. However I disagree profoundly with your analysis.
User avatar
User

Kairdiff Exile

Location

Our proud capital...

Re: Players To Sign

Postby Kairdiff Exile » July 15th, 2020, 12:52 pm

I don't disagree that some of the decisions to award long-term contracts looked odd at the time and look worse with every passing day.

I also think that our business model should focus much more on developing young players (either our own or ones we pick up when they are released from bigger clubs' academies) and then selling them for a profit rather than signing older players and hoping for cup runs to balance the books. It requires better coaching staff and facilities, but in the current climate we'd have found ourselves much better-prepared for the future.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Re: Players To Sign

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » July 15th, 2020, 1:34 pm

amberbhoy wrote:We won't be signing anyone because we are broke. In the last week I've had 2 different sources tell me we are on the brink of liquidation.
It may or may not be true but they are 2 seperate sources with no connection to each other.
Perhaps the board could raise a few quid by having a sponsored silence.

Paragraphs 1 & 2 Totally nuts"

Paragraph 3 A nice bit of Satire
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Powered by phpBB ®