Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby George Street-Bridge » July 24th, 2020, 8:12 am

This is the Cardiff City who let us use their training ground ahead of the L2 playoff final.
no avatar
User

flat4

Location

WHERE EVER THE JOB TAKES ME

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby flat4 » July 24th, 2020, 9:06 am

Good luck to them both, we need one of them in the premiership.
no avatar
User

Special branch

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby Special branch » July 24th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Totally agree: either in the Premiership would be great for (South) Wales.We would benefit through loans. However, If I was a betting man I would put money on Fulham.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 25th, 2020, 7:08 am

Special branch wrote:Totally agree: either in the Premiership would be great for (South) Wales.We would benefit through loans. However, If I was a betting man I would put money on Fulham.


Why are we more likely to benefit from loans if either Swansea or Cardiff are in the Premier League?
Also if this were true, why do you want to be inherently inferior to either Swansea or Cardiff?
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Location

MT

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby Exile 1976 » July 25th, 2020, 7:37 am

Want Swansea to go up, preferably beating c***iff in the final
no avatar
User

halfmoon

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby halfmoon » July 25th, 2020, 8:06 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Special branch wrote:Totally agree: either in the Premiership would be great for (South) Wales.We would benefit through loans. However, If I was a betting man I would put money on Fulham.


Why are we more likely to benefit from loans if either Swansea or Cardiff are in the Premier League?
Also if this were true, why do you want to be inherently inferior to either Swansea or Cardiff?


What's most useful to us won't be the loans, but hoovering up out-of-contract players and academy rejects from those clubs. It's notoriously difficult to get players to sign for clubs when you're off the beaten track and require players to relocate. Would we have ended up with someone like Josh Sheehan, one of our best players the past few seasons, if he was a Londoner or from the north of England? Highly doubtful.

As for being 'inherently inferior', that's the reality. We have to take what we can get. We feed off the scraps of bigger clubs and hope to slowly grow. That's the model for every club at our level, unless you've got a really good academy system.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 25th, 2020, 8:18 am

halfmoon wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Special branch wrote:Totally agree: either in the Premiership would be great for (South) Wales.We would benefit through loans. However, If I was a betting man I would put money on Fulham.


Why are we more likely to benefit from loans if either Swansea or Cardiff are in the Premier League?
Also if this were true, why do you want to be inherently inferior to either Swansea or Cardiff?


What's most useful to us won't be the loans, but hoovering up out-of-contract players and academy rejects from those clubs. It's notoriously difficult to get players to sign for clubs when you're off the beaten track and require players to relocate. Would we have ended up with someone like Josh Sheehan, one of our best players the past few seasons, if he was a Londoner or from the north of England? Highly doubtful.

As for being 'inherently inferior', that's the reality. We have to take what we can get. We feed off the scraps of bigger clubs and hope to slowly grow. That's the model for every club at our level, unless you've got a really good academy system.


Let's examine this.

Firstly, the academy at both Swansea and Cardiff will be the same players whichever league Cardiff and Swansea are in. So I fail to see the advantage in any event of either club being promoted.

Secondly, Swansea is so similar to Newport in terms of size and economy that a visitor from Mars would struggle to tell the difference. I accept fully that we are inferior to Swansea. But there is nothing inherent about this. However our lack of ambition and belief is a real problem. And being satisfied with the crumbs falling from the table is not something with which I think we should aspire to.
no avatar
User

halfmoon

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby halfmoon » July 25th, 2020, 8:31 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
halfmoon wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Special branch wrote:Totally agree: either in the Premiership would be great for (South) Wales.We would benefit through loans. However, If I was a betting man I would put money on Fulham.


Why are we more likely to benefit from loans if either Swansea or Cardiff are in the Premier League?
Also if this were true, why do you want to be inherently inferior to either Swansea or Cardiff?


What's most useful to us won't be the loans, but hoovering up out-of-contract players and academy rejects from those clubs. It's notoriously difficult to get players to sign for clubs when you're off the beaten track and require players to relocate. Would we have ended up with someone like Josh Sheehan, one of our best players the past few seasons, if he was a Londoner or from the north of England? Highly doubtful.

As for being 'inherently inferior', that's the reality. We have to take what we can get. We feed off the scraps of bigger clubs and hope to slowly grow. That's the model for every club at our level, unless you've got a really good academy system.


Let's examine this.

Firstly, the academy at both Swansea and Cardiff will be the same players whichever league Cardiff and Swansea are in. So I fail to see the advantage in any event of either club being promoted.

Secondly, Swansea is so similar to Newport in terms of size and economy that a visitor from Mars would struggle to tell the difference. I accept fully that we are inferior to Swansea. But there is nothing inherent about this. However our lack of ambition and belief is a real problem. And being satisfied with the crumbs falling from the table is not something with which I think we should aspire to.


Nobody said anything about 'aspiring' to be inferior, but the reality is we are inferior by every metric. The only way to get around that is to improve incrementally over time, often by living off the scraps of clubs that have far greater resources than us. That's just the nature of football in 2020. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just the way it is, and the club needs to run with that in mind if it's to be successful.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 25th, 2020, 8:47 am

halfmoon wrote:
Special branch wrote:Totally agree: either in the Premiership would be great for (South) Wales.We would benefit through loans.




Nobody said anything about 'aspiring' to be inferior,...........



We may have to agree to differ but for me this first quote is aspiring to be inferior.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby pembsexile » July 26th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Jacks beat Brentford 1-0 earlier. The away leg next at Griffin Park. It’s gonna be close.
no avatar
User

Triangle

Location

With the Panthers

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby Triangle » July 27th, 2020, 12:35 am

George Street-Bridge wrote:This is the Cardiff City who let us use their training ground ahead of the L2 playoff final.


We trained on the Actual Cardiff City Stadium pitch.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 27th, 2020, 9:44 am

Triangle wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:This is the Cardiff City who let us use their training ground ahead of the L2 playoff final.


We trained on the Actual Cardiff City Stadium pitch.

Part of the fun of football is local bragging rights. And so long as it remains a joke as opposed to the few very sad people who take it seriously, it would be a shame to lose it. I don't mind that County supporters 'hate' Cardiff City, I do mind that neither Cardiff or Swansea 'hate' us.
no avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby UPTHEPORT » July 27th, 2020, 10:02 am

pembsexile wrote:Jacks beat Brentford 1-0 earlier. The away leg next at Griffin Park. It’s gonna be close.


Good result pleased for SJ
User avatar
User

lowandhard

Location

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby lowandhard » July 29th, 2020, 9:07 pm

Looks like they’ve both fvcked it up then , shame I hoped for a Welsh final.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Location

Cwmbran

Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Postby Blackandamber » July 29th, 2020, 9:26 pm

halfmoon wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
halfmoon wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Special branch wrote:Totally agree: either in the Premiership would be great for (South) Wales.We would benefit through loans. However, If I was a betting man I would put money on Fulham.


Why are we more likely to benefit from loans if either Swansea or Cardiff are in the Premier League?
Also if this were true, why do you want to be inherently inferior to either Swansea or Cardiff?


What's most useful to us won't be the loans, but hoovering up out-of-contract players and academy rejects from those clubs. It's notoriously difficult to get players to sign for clubs when you're off the beaten track and require players to relocate. Would we have ended up with someone like Josh Sheehan, one of our best players the past few seasons, if he was a Londoner or from the north of England? Highly doubtful.

As for being 'inherently inferior', that's the reality. We have to take what we can get. We feed off the scraps of bigger clubs and hope to slowly grow. That's the model for every club at our level, unless you've got a really good academy system.


Let's examine this.

Firstly, the academy at both Swansea and Cardiff will be the same players whichever league Cardiff and Swansea are in. So I fail to see the advantage in any event of either club being promoted.

Secondly, Swansea is so similar to Newport in terms of size and economy that a visitor from Mars would struggle to tell the difference. I accept fully that we are inferior to Swansea. But there is nothing inherent about this. However our lack of ambition and belief is a real problem. And being satisfied with the crumbs falling from the table is not something with which I think we should aspire to.


Nobody said anything about 'aspiring' to be inferior, but the reality is we are inferior by every metric. The only way to get around that is to improve incrementally over time, often by living off the scraps of clubs that have far greater resources than us. That's just the nature of football in 2020. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just the way it is, and the club needs to run with that in mind if it's to be successful.


We have improved incrementally. In 1989 we played in the Hellenic League. Many increments from there to League 2.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: big daddio, Fan1967, Marky

Powered by phpBB ®