Re: New low.

Just a general point on this.

You can take a strictly libertarian view. People are free to make choices and as such Newport County should be free to have any commercial logo on their shirts.
Conversely, you can argue that all advertising on shirts encourages damaging behaviour.

However most of us take a more pragmatic view. I suspect that most people would object to County running a promotion for Cigarettes. Shirts emblazed with Smoke Marlboro. Be a man. I suspect most of us would object to shirts saying Drink Whiskey.

Now, I think that an App which only has the purpose of making gambling so accessible that it encourages addiction crosses the line.

I see the problem of hypocrisy and in taking a moral high ground. And where I would draw the line may differ from where others would. I respect the views of those who disagree with me. Thus far we have had an interesting, vibrant debate. I fear that when certain posters just post up blatant lies, that debate is cheapened.

As I say having sat with the mother of a man, little more than a boy, who killed himself having committed crimes to finance his addiction, all I can say is this.

I do respect those who disagree with me. I see their arguments. People like Percy are to be pitied.

I'd say the pragmatic view is taking the money from where we can. We are a long way from being able to turn away legitimate income.

You have hit the nail on the head though with all advertising is inherently bad. No ethical consumption under capitalism? I would say sport has long since lost it way.

Bottom line. We're already ice skating uphill vs 90%+ of the football league. Unless we dig deeper as fans and embrace the trust, we have to accept we may have to play the game. Even if that includes going against what is moral, as long as it is legitimate.

And I do feel for the people who have suffered. Like said earlier, we can question everything down to the petrol in the tank. We'd never get out of bed if that was the case.

Papski2 wrote:I'd say the pragmatic view is taking the money from where we can. We are a long way from being able to turn away legitimate income.

You have hit the nail on the head though with all advertising is inherently bad. No ethical consumption under capitalism? I would say sport has long since lost it way.

Bottom line. We're already ice skating uphill vs 90%+ of the football league. Unless we dig deeper as fans and embrace the trust, we have to accept we may have to play the game. Even if that includes going against what is moral, as long as it is legitimate.

And I do feel for the people who have suffered. Like said earlier, we can question everything down to the petrol in the tank. We'd never get out of bed if that was the case.
Serious question. Do you believe that as any product legally being sold should be allowed to advertise on the Newport County shirt?

And to make the question more difficult, cigarette advertising isn't lawful on shirts. However cigarettes are legal to buy. You can't negate responsibility for this by saying it's not lawful. Let's for the sake of argument say it was lawful to advertise smokes. Your call.

Short answer is yes and then no to cigarettes. Provided the kids shirts are protected like they are currently.

What did you have in mind?

Edit: Yes to the cigarettes assuming its lawful and there say an 80s attitude towards it and not a 2020 backlash.

Papski2 wrote:Short answer is yes and then no to cigarettes. Provided the kids shirts are protected like they are currently.

What did you have in mind?
That's my point.

We agree of everything save one factor. That is where the line should be drawn. For you it is cigarettes for me online gambling apps.

Two things.

Firstly both our views are to a degree subjective. And we may have to agree to differ.

Secondly, I have, enjoyed is not the right word in something this serious, but you know what I mean.

Secondly, I hope that Percy takes note on how to respectfully disagree. But I doubt it.

My initial no to cigarettes is based on perception of them in advertising now. Lawful or not.

If gambling advertising were to go the same way I wouldn't shed a tear. It means all our rivals would be in the same boat.

Maybe its because I've never bought a Mr Tom, placed a bet on 32 Red or I'll never buy a Pure Van. None of it affects the 90 minutes of football I'm watching other than how much they've contributed to the budget.

Ideally, the trust would be the only sponsor on the shirt.

I don't think you're coming from a wrong place. Just think the blood on the hands is too strong.

Papski2 wrote:My initial no to cigarettes is based on perception of them in advertising now. Lawful or not.

If gambling advertising were to go the same way I wouldn't shed a tear. It means all our rivals would be in the same boat.

Maybe its because I've never bought a Mr Tom, placed a bet on 32 Red or I'll never buy a Pure Van. None of it affects the 90 minutes of football I'm watching other than how much they've contributed to the budget.

Ideally, the trust would be the only sponsor on the shirt.

I don't think you're coming from a wrong place. Just think the blood on the hands is too strong.
As I said if you had sat in a court with the mother of a boy, and at 62 for me 19 is a boy, who on remand had taken his life you might not.

But by the same token the criticism of myself that I sometimes give way to hyperbole is not without foundation.

Best wishes and goodnight,

Brendan aka Stan.

Percy plunkett wrote:Avantcard,Brendan says they are trustworthy and wouldn’t charge extortionate fees and wouldn’t cause misery to anyone who fell behind with their monthly payments.No need for him to go on Slixgo forum lambasting the directors for this abominable decision.
Percy,

Quite seriously I will donate £20,000 if you will bring to my attention where I have said this.

Surely an offer such as this you are not going to refuse. There are those who might say that this is typical of you. That whilst others debate a serious topic with respect for differing views, you think that it's amusing to make jokes. But I know differently. Young men taking their own lives is not a subject for levity from Percy.

So £20,000 to Newport County Percy. Indeed I'll sponsor the shirt for £40,000 if Newport County will remove their association with this bogshite gambling app and organization. And to get this for our club all you have to do is post up where I said your quote.

What do say Percy?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Avantcard,Brendan says they are trustworthy and wouldn’t charge extortionate fees and wouldn’t cause misery to anyone who fell behind with their monthly payments.No need for him to go on Slixgo forum lambasting the directors for this abominable decision.
Percy,

Quite seriously I will donate £20,000 if you will bring to my attention where I have said this.

Surely an offer such as this you are not going to refuse. There are those who might say that this is typical of you. That whilst others debate a serious topic with respect for differing views, you think that it's amusing to make jokes. But I know differently. Young men taking their own lives is not a subject for levity from Percy.

So £20,000 to Newport County Percy. Indeed I'll sponsor the shirt for £40,000 if Newport County will remove their association with this bogshite gambling app and organization. And to get this for our club all you have to do is post up where I said your quote.

What do say Percy?
You haven’t criticised your beloved Sligo for having a loan company on the shirts therefore you are happy that no one will get into debt paying off the loans.Your silence on the matter has answered your question.As for your throwaway comment about £40,000,that has been thrown out as hyperbole.

As for legalised drugs,I have never dabbled with them but,there are drugs and there are drugs.In the space of six months from late 1970 to early 1971,Jimi Hendrix,Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison all overdosed on that crap,Tim Buckley five years later,once someone is on that stuff then there is no road back.Now other musicians have had a lifetime on other substances which apparently can help with arthritis and other ailments so,there are calls to legalise them.In fact our late MP and fan Paul Flynn was a leader in calling for action on those drugs so ok with that but coke,smack etc no way.

Percy plunkett wrote:As for legalised drugs,I have never dabbled with them but,there are drugs and there are drugs.In the space of six months from late 1970 to early 1971,Jimi Hendrix,Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison all overdosed on that crap,Tim Buckley five years later,once someone is on that stuff then there is no road back.Now other musicians have had a lifetime on other substances which apparently can help with arthritis and other ailments so,there are calls to legalise them.In fact our late MP and fan Paul Flynn was a leader in calling for action on those drugs so ok with that but coke,smack etc no way.
Class A drugs being unlawful didn't prevent Hendrix, Joplin or Morrison being killed by them did it?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:As for legalised drugs,I have never dabbled with them but,there are drugs and there are drugs.In the space of six months from late 1970 to early 1971,Jimi Hendrix,Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison all overdosed on that crap,Tim Buckley five years later,once someone is on that stuff then there is no road back.Now other musicians have had a lifetime on other substances which apparently can help with arthritis and other ailments so,there are calls to legalise them.In fact our late MP and fan Paul Flynn was a leader in calling for action on those drugs so ok with that but coke,smack etc no way.
Class A drugs being unlawful didn't prevent Hendrix, Joplin or Morrison being killed by them did it?
If it’s legal,then people won’t recognise the danger,they will think it’s like having a few drinks.As I said,the four musicians I mentioned didn’t live long once they went down that road.

Percy plunkett wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy,

What do say Percy?
You haven’t criticised your beloved Sligo for having a loan company on the shirts therefore you are happy that no one will get into debt paying off the loans.Your silence on the matter has answered your question.As for your throwaway comment about £40,000,that has been thrown out as hyperbole.
No Percy,

You post up the thread from which you quoted me and I will sponsor the County shirt for £40,000. It's not a throw away comment or hyperbole. It will be a substantial part of my life savings but I will do it. I can't believe you would be so low down in the gutter as to try crass humour on the subject under discussion. So you know what you have to do.

Now do it.

Percy plunkett wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
If it’s legal,then people won’t recognise the danger,they will think it’s like having a few drinks.As I said,the four musicians I mentioned didn’t live long once they went down that road.
On the contrary. Diamorphine, Heroin was the brand name under which it was sold, is highly addictive. However you would be amazed at the number of functioning addicts who use this drug.

Mixing needles and impurities are the two big killers. And of course without the criminal element who get people using it, the number of users in my view would be far lower. And to be clear if people do become addicted to anything it is bad. The question that needs to be asked is what is the most effective way of controlling the damage, to license and control or to proscribe.

Percy whats a loan company got to do with Online gambling?.
Got a feeling Banks do loans also.
Think you have lost this one big time.