Re: Scott Bennett re signed

halfmoon wrote:I'll hold off until it's confirmed, but that's very promising. I wonder if that means we weren't interested in retaining Matt's services, regardless of the current circumstances?
Someone in the know said he was unlikely to be offered a new deal.That may or not be true,I wonder if Jamma wishes he had hung on a fortnight to see.

Percy plunkett wrote:
halfmoon wrote:I'll hold off until it's confirmed, but that's very promising. I wonder if that means we weren't interested in retaining Matt's services, regardless of the current circumstances?
Someone in the know said he was unlikely to be offered a new deal.That may or not be true,I wonder if Jamma wishes he had hung on a fortnight to see.
I'd hold off too Percy. You may be right but you are gaining a reputation as a liar. Best to wait and see.

For my part, his re-signing would not surprise me. If it turns out to be true it will be good news.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
I'd hold off too Percy. You may be right but you are gaining a reputation as a liar. Best to wait and see.

For my part, his re-signing would not surprise me. If it turns out to be true it will be good news.
Only with you Brendan.Was it not you who lied when he said he was going to stand for election,the same man who said he was going to Ireland and would never post on here again.Write a letter to Colin Everett demanding to be allowed to enter election race after deadline etc.

Percy plunkett wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:

Only with you Brendan.Was it not you who lied when he said he was going to stand for election,the same man who said he was going to Ireland and would never post on here again.Write a letter to Colin Everett demanding to be allowed to enter election race after deadline etc.
More lies Percy.

Not to worry.

This is so messed up, so we lay a player off potentially losing him to save one months wages even though the government is paying £2500 of his wages.
I know you say we didn't know what's happening but the Reading chairperson was saying a month ago saying fans would be back in grounds around the end of September so there was, an idea when we would start up.

amberbhoy wrote:This is so messed up, so we lay a player off potentially losing him to save one months wages even though the government is paying £2500 of his wages.
I know you say we didn't know what's happening but the Reading chairperson was saying a month ago saying fans would be back in grounds around the end of September so there was, an idea when we would start up.
I agree it's totally messed up and to a degree by County for offering too many two year contracts, however....

The real blame lies with the EFL. Was Covid19 foreseeable? Not as such. Was a worldwide pandemic causing mayhem foreseeable? Absolutely. Governments around the world 'wargamed' this scenario, medical journals and serious newspapers have all carried numerous articles, most if not all carrying the sentence 'it's not a matter of if but rather of when'.

Wimbledon the tennis who generate massive income took the precaution of insuring the tournament. Had the EFL taken a similar precaution perhaps there would be not quite the mayhem we now have.

amberbhoy wrote:This is so messed up, so we lay a player off potentially losing him to save one months wages even though the government is paying £2500 of his wages.
He wasn't 'laid off', his contract had expired. I can't imagine it's within the rules to hire someone only to immediately place them on furlough.

amberbhoy wrote:This is so messed up, so we lay a player off potentially losing him to save one months wages even though the government is paying £2500 of his wages. I know you say we didn't know what's happening but the Reading chairperson was saying a month ago saying fans would be back in grounds around the end of September so there was, an idea when we would start up.
But if a player's contract was expiring after the date when no-one could be added to the furlough, which I think was 30th June, could he have renewed his contract and stayed furloughed? Or technically would it be a new recruit?

Given a choice between being guided by the EFL (eventually) and what Reading's chairperson says, I'd go for the first. Latest minutes say we anticipate no crowds before January and are budgeting accordingly.

halfmoon wrote:
He wasn't 'laid off', his contract had expired. I can't imagine it's within the rules to hire someone only to immediately place them on furlough.
Interesting point. To answer your question I don't know. However in any event now County are back in training the furlough is over.

One of the difficulties with predictions is that once we make them, even if the facts change we feel obliged to stick to our original view. Most people anyway. My view has always been that crowds won't be back before Christmas. I based this solely on the view that a vaccine would not be available before the turn of the year.

Whilst I could be wrong, I am beginning to think I was overly optimistic. I did think it was a very real danger that season 2020/21 would be lost. I now think that more likely than not.