Re: Fixture list.

excessbee wrote:Well, I suppose they have put a marker on the calendar for that date, but virus matters are so fluid at the moment, who knows. At least it gives clubs a target, but eventually other powers will have the final say.
That must be right.

By way of interest tonight's Sligo v Waterford game is off due to a Waterford player showing Covid symptoms. And the figures in Ireland show a much lower incidence of the disease. When you get to my age very little surprises you, but I just don't see football at Tier 4 level being sustainable without paying fans.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:Well, I suppose they have put a marker on the calendar for that date, but virus matters are so fluid at the moment, who knows. At least it gives clubs a target, but eventually other powers will have the final say.
That must be right.

By way of interest tonight's Sligo v Waterford game is off due to a Waterford player showing Covid symptoms. And the figures in Ireland show a much lower incidence of the disease. When you get to my age very little surprises you, but I just don't see football at Tier 4 level being sustainable without paying fans.
I'm inclined to agree. My guess is that the clubs are ok with starting on 12 Sep behind closed doors in the knowledge that 1st October would be the start date for fans. If the latter becomes uncertain then I wonder how long clubs will be able to carry on without massive financial support from the league/premier league/TV or it could descend into chaos with many clubs going under. Lets hope it all goes ahead as planned!

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
That must be right.

What is the alternative? Resuming the 19/20 season in March 21, thereby losing the 20/21 season in its entirety would be a death knell. How do clubs pay players/staff/overheads for 6 months or so with no furlough or any other income from October to March?
Also the PL clubs are facing a combined bill of £330m from Sky and BT etc for the disruption Covid has caused the broadcasters. If we lost a season how would EFL1/2 clubs pay back their solidarity etc payments?
Starting the 20/21 season next month is far from ideal but the best option all things considered. Hopefully some kind of TV streaming will be set up initially to bring in some cash while games are played behind closed doors and then fans can return in stages later in the year. Explains why lower league clubs have been absolutely correct to keep their wage bills to a minimum.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
phil crump wrote:At the moment in the championship hull are the only definite going down Wigan are appealing their deduction Charlton are considering legal action against sheff wed not receiving their penalty this season and Barnsley waiting to see what happens so the possibility of a fixture list before this is sorted which pits sheff wed v Barnsley first game would **** it all up
Why?

We know from the 1960's that W,X,Y&Z worked without causing any problems.

And even if Sheffield Wednesday v Barnsley became Wigan v Charlton it's no problem. You simply release the fixture list as things now stand and change if necessary.

A typical Saturday circa 1980.

And today's changes to the programme. At number 3 in place of John Relish, Richard Walden. At 7 replacing Neil Bailey, Nigel Vaughan. At 10 in place of David Gwyther, Tommy Tynan. And today's substitute, replacing Tommy Tynan, at 12 John Relish.

We coped Phil, we coped.
Yes we might well cope Stan,just can’t see them releasing a list for 2 divisions now when there is so much uncertainty and as you pointed out x amount of bods per team will be required to travel.they probably have generated the list and will just wait to confirm before releasing

faerun exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
That must be right.

What is the alternative? Resuming the 19/20 season in March 21, thereby losing the 20/21 season in its entirety would be a death knell. How do clubs pay players/staff/overheads for 6 months or so with no furlough or any other income from October to March?
Also the PL clubs are facing a combined bill of £330m from Sky and BT etc for the disruption Covid has caused the broadcasters. If we lost a season how would EFL1/2 clubs pay back their solidarity etc payments?
Starting the 20/21 season next month is far from ideal but the best option all things considered. Hopefully some kind of TV streaming will be set up initially to bring in some cash while games are played behind closed doors and then fans can return in stages later in the year. Explains why lower league clubs have been absolutely correct to keep their wage bills to a minimum.
In terms of costs, I think I believe football should have been suspended in March. If fans come back in January 2021 you can complete the suspended League. Run the two major Cup competitions and I accept you will lose a League season. As things stand I believe we will lose the business end of 2019/20 all of 2020/21 and the two major Cups of 2020/21.

That has been my view all along and thus far nothing has altered that. Further, whilst I don't wish anyone to lose their jobs, financially professional footballers are in a better position than many. Clubs would survive if the season were curtailed by reason of players could be made redundant. Which they have been since March.

I agree starting football next month would be ideal but I fear it's not sustainable. As for streaming games. Well there is the cost of doing that. And indeed you can up the cost to £20. I am sure many of us fanatics would gladly pay. But how many more will buy one subscription and have a few mates round to watch the game? How many won't bother? Also I am beginning to think that a return of fans in January is doubtful.

It is not a straight forward dilemma. But it is my view that sometimes it's best to take the hit.

The issue of video streaming via Ifollow is covered in para 5 of the recent Trust Board minutes (for June). The club say it is not viable for a variety or reasons. Rather than me explain it, there is a comprehensive explanation there.

That notwithstanding, I just cannot see how football for the efl is sustainable beyond Sept 12. Unless of course the efl know something we don’t. I doubt that, so I suspect that they, like us are waiting for developments from Boris and the gang. With no crowds, how on earth are efl teams going to survive?

We need to maximise revenue asap. Consider any sensible idea.

phil crump wrote:At the moment in the championship hull are the only definite going down Wigan are appealing their deduction Charlton are considering legal action against sheff wed not receiving their penalty this season and Barnsley waiting to see what happens so the possibility of a fixture list before this is sorted which pits sheff wed v Barnsley first game would **** it all up
Wigan are relegated. They lost their appeal against the 12 point deduction.

pembsexile wrote:
Not surprised. Regulation says going into admin incurs a 12 point deduction..... Wigan went into admin.

If I was drawing up the fixture list I'd possibly attempt to put all the fixtures with closest distances at the start of the season and those with the longest journeys at the back-end of the season. This would buy a bit of time for any vaccine to be tested, produced and given...

excessbee wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Not surprised. Regulation says going into admin incurs a 12 point deduction..... Wigan went into admin.
Yes that’s the rules think it’s just the way and speed it came about and they won’t be the last I’ve no doubt

pembsexile wrote:The issue of video streaming via Ifollow is covered in para 5 of the recent Trust Board minutes (for June). The club say it is not viable for a variety or reasons. Rather than me explain it, there is a comprehensive explanation there.

That notwithstanding, I just cannot see how football for the efl is sustainable beyond Sept 12. Unless of course the efl know something we don’t. I doubt that, so I suspect that they, like us are waiting for developments from Boris and the gang. With no crowds, how on earth are efl teams going to survive?

One other problem with ifollow is the waveband gets stretched like Zoom etc when more users are on.I used ifollow for Tuesday night away games and there was probably a modest number of us watching,there would now be too many subscribers making viewing impossible.

Percy plunkett wrote:
pembsexile wrote:The issue of video streaming via Ifollow is covered in para 5 of the recent Trust Board minutes (for June). The club say it is not viable for a variety or reasons. Rather than me explain it, there is a comprehensive explanation there.

One other problem with ifollow is the waveband gets stretched like Zoom etc when more users are on.I used ifollow for Tuesday night away games and there was probably a modest number of us watching,there would now be too many subscribers making viewing impossible.
Pedant time. For waveband, I suspect you mean bandwidth and it doesn’t actually get stretched. Bandwidth for me is the range of frequencies between the upper and lower frequencies that are transmitted either side of a carrier frequency. That and the frequency separation between transmitted signals.

The term has been hijacked with regards to digital communications. In this context it actually refers to the amount of data that can be transmitted over a particular period of time, like Mbps. It really has nothing to do with bandwidth. I just wish these modern computer geeks would come up with their own term for this instead of using older established terms that really mean something. Rant over :grin:

Percy plunkett wrote:I am sure that you are correct,anyway,the band,the waves,the width and his brother get messed up when too many users all go on at the same time so,no ifollow to watch unless,a new technological discovery happens in the next few weeks.
It doesn't need a new technological discovery just a tier 1 IT supplier. Burst capacity can be made available to match demand from a decent data centre network.

My experience of using ifollow has generally been better than both skysports and BT sports online offerings. Having the functionality to adjust the video resolution rather than have it managed dynamically by the app helps.